Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2014, 13:50   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Boat Stamp

Our boat stamp is a disc with a handle that fits onto it's ink pad, takes very little room. Just boat name and registration number (we're State registered). Stamp, then sign across it. Never did have a crimper, but agree if you use one it is great mojo.

Ann
Old 17-07-2014, 14:39   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
........... Never did have a crimper, but agree if you use one it is great mojo. Ann
Oh,- now I have it! The banana sticker with the garlic press! I'm all in!
Old 18-07-2014, 01:25   #18
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I drew ours, edited with some software and sent to a local stamp maker in France. Cost about 30 euroClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1405671902.601677.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	85143
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 04:30   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You guys will laugh, but this is true.
In order to export an aircraft and I assume a boat so you guy's would know, you need a "General Declaration" document, this thing is stamped by Customs when you leave, some of the customs officials get an attitude as it's really another agencies form. Maybe treasury?
Anyway I have a friend that export aircraft, he got tired of the hassle so he takes the Gen Decs and places a coin under them and rubs the paper with I think a plastic spoon, anyway looks just like an official stamp and it's worked for years.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 19:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
Try YACHTSTAMP.COM they made mine.
YachtStamp.com 2" is $85

Custom Rubber Stamps | Personalize Custom Stamps Online from $4.95 2" stamp is $26 and it looks identical

The only problem is that is too cheap - free shipping starts at $30 - guess I'll have to order a replacement ink pad or something to hit $30.

- Rusty
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:37   #21

Boat: Endeavour, 40

Rusty, I believe Rubber stamps.com just makes stamps to order. They do not do the boating artwork of including a line plan of the hull and getting documentation vessel name and home port into an official looking stamp that YACHTSTAMP.COM provides.
Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
Rusty, I believe Rubber stamps.com just makes stamps to order. They do not do the boating artwork of including a line plan of the hull and getting documentation vessel name and home port into an official looking stamp that YACHTSTAMP.COM provides.
rubberstamps.net will make a stamp from an image file you upload, so if you can create your own artwork with text their $26 is a bargain. If you need someone to do it for you, then yachtstamp may be worth the higher cost.
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:40   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tanton 43

I've worked aboard ships and the ship's stamp is usually kept in a locked draw in the Captain's cabin or the safe. In many ports the stamp is more important than the Captain's signature and in third world countries (especially former British colonies) the ship's stamp carries undue weight.

I never thought much about stamps until I became Captain. I somehow assumed they were issued by the flag state after submitting a large check accompanied by a multiple of forms in triplicate.... so, when the time came, I was hesitant to submit a purchase order but pleasantly surprised when the marine superintendent canceled the order with the comment "Just have the agent swing by Office Depot"

So, yes, I'd agree that having a stamp is very important in some parts of the world but you don't need anything fancy... just stop by Office Depot and ask for a stamp with the boat name and number surrounded by a nice border.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:08   #24

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
I'm thinking of having a boat stamp ... to stamp all of the Offical papers that I may have to sign ... Does anyone here think this is a good Idea? ...
I have had a tool like this for a very long time (and in fact have gone through several updated stamps as details such as hailing port and other particulars changed). I don't believe I've ever had a negative reaction from the authorities.

In particular, during an extended visit to Cuba (about 20 years ago) I encountered "boat stamp heaven." The Guarda Frontera and their associates are seriously in love with paperwork and there were several times that, following stamping and couter-stamping extravaganzas, an official told me in a polite and somewhat awed manner: "Senor, you papers are very beautiful." In Spanish, of course.

Yes, this actually happened.
Old 13-09-2019, 14:00   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

Bump!!

This came up on a google search for “boat stamps” because got a sudden desire to have one.

What does everyone have on theirs? Any lessons of what “should” or “good” to have it?

Thanks
Old 13-09-2019, 14:23   #26

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
I'm thinking of having a boat stamp made in order to stamp all of the Offical papers that I may have to sign while on board the S/V Rapture.
May a two to two & half inch diameter Stamp with the boat's name and number as part of the border, and a signature/date line crossing the center.

Does anyone here think this is a good Idea? And does anyone here have a stamp pacifically for their boat? And if you don't have one will you acquire said stamp?
We had a boat stamp made somewhere in San Diego and it was a real boon to getting through the various Port Captains in Mexico, Honduras and Panama! I always dressed for each Port Captain Ihadto Visit over the years and it set me apart from the rest of the gringo skippers who dressed in wife beaters and shorts!
Many times ?I went to the front of the line! When the Port Authorities saw how I was dressed with my stamp in hand they were always impressed and treated me with more deference than I deserved, certainly better than the rest of the gringo mob trying to check in or out of a port!
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 19:39   #27

Boat: Endeavour, 40

Sailorboy1, Most stamps are 1-5/8” or 2”. There are lots of examples on the YachtStamp.com web site as well as information on what information you may wish to include on the stamp. Having a color such as red or blue helps the stamp stand out on the document.
Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 20:11   #28

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

We carved a crude letter 'B' (boat is called Bob), sanded it flat and stuck an old piece of inner tube onto it to make ours. It worked fine. In Indonesia they didn't care what the stamp looked like - we could have used a rubber duck if we'd wanted - but we HAD to have a stamp! Have some fun with it! If i did it again i'd stick a thin piece of foam between the wood and the inner tube.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 15:47   #29

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Before we got to Indonesia, I had read that government officials required a stamp so I had an embosser made. We were part of the Sail Indonesia Rally and our first port in the country was Sumlaki, where others in the rally discovered that they needed to have a stamp. Fortunately, a local business was able to make them but they didn’t have any ink pads!

We have gotten a lot of use out of our embosser. I’ll stamp books that I’m giving away and those I want returned. Any important letter gets a stamp as does crew lists, zarpes, etc.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:02   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
We carved a crude letter 'B' (boat is called Bob), sanded it flat and stuck an old piece of inner tube onto it to make ours. It worked fine. In Indonesia they didn't care what the stamp looked like - we could have used a rubber duck if we'd wanted - but we HAD to have a stamp! Have some fun with it! If i did it again i'd stick a thin piece of foam between the wood and the inner tube.

A friend of mine that exports aircraft will take a coin and place the form on top of if and rub the form with a plastic spoon or something.
Not in front of them, but he swears by it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote