Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-07-2014, 14:50   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Boat Stamp

Our boat stamp is a disc with a handle that fits onto it's ink pad, takes very little room. Just boat name and registration number (we're State registered). Stamp, then sign across it. Never did have a crimper, but agree if you use one it is great mojo.

Ann

Old 17-07-2014, 15:39   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
........... Never did have a crimper, but agree if you use one it is great mojo. Ann
Oh,- now I have it! The banana sticker with the garlic press! I'm all in!

Old 18-07-2014, 02:25   #18
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I drew ours, edited with some software and sent to a local stamp maker in France. Cost about 30 euroClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1405671902.601677.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	85143
Old 18-07-2014, 05:30   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You guys will laugh, but this is true.
In order to export an aircraft and I assume a boat so you guy's would know, you need a "General Declaration" document, this thing is stamped by Customs when you leave, some of the customs officials get an attitude as it's really another agencies form. Maybe treasury?
Anyway I have a friend that export aircraft, he got tired of the hassle so he takes the Gen Decs and places a coin under them and rubs the paper with I think a plastic spoon, anyway looks just like an official stamp and it's worked for years.
Old 31-05-2015, 20:02   #20

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
Try YACHTSTAMP.COM they made mine.
YachtStamp.com 2" is $85

Custom Rubber Stamps | Personalize Custom Stamps Online from $4.95 2" stamp is $26 and it looks identical

The only problem is that is too cheap - free shipping starts at $30 - guess I'll have to order a replacement ink pad or something to hit $30.

- Rusty
Old 02-06-2015, 08:37   #21
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour, 40

Rusty, I believe Rubber stamps.com just makes stamps to order. They do not do the boating artwork of including a line plan of the hull and getting documentation vessel name and home port into an official looking stamp that YACHTSTAMP.COM provides.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:05   #22

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
Rusty, I believe Rubber stamps.com just makes stamps to order. They do not do the boating artwork of including a line plan of the hull and getting documentation vessel name and home port into an official looking stamp that YACHTSTAMP.COM provides.
rubberstamps.net will make a stamp from an image file you upload, so if you can create your own artwork with text their $26 is a bargain. If you need someone to do it for you, then yachtstamp may be worth the higher cost.
Old 27-07-2015, 19:40   #23

Boat: Tanton 43

I've worked aboard ships and the ship's stamp is usually kept in a locked draw in the Captain's cabin or the safe. In many ports the stamp is more important than the Captain's signature and in third world countries (especially former British colonies) the ship's stamp carries undue weight.

I never thought much about stamps until I became Captain. I somehow assumed they were issued by the flag state after submitting a large check accompanied by a multiple of forms in triplicate.... so, when the time came, I was hesitant to submit a purchase order but pleasantly surprised when the marine superintendent canceled the order with the comment "Just have the agent swing by Office Depot"

So, yes, I'd agree that having a stamp is very important in some parts of the world but you don't need anything fancy... just stop by Office Depot and ask for a stamp with the boat name and number surrounded by a nice border.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:08   #24

Boat: Cape Dory 28 Sloop - s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
I'm thinking of having a boat stamp ... to stamp all of the Offical papers that I may have to sign ... Does anyone here think this is a good Idea? ...
I have had a tool like this for a very long time (and in fact have gone through several updated stamps as details such as hailing port and other particulars changed). I don't believe I've ever had a negative reaction from the authorities.

In particular, during an extended visit to Cuba (about 20 years ago) I encountered "boat stamp heaven." The Guarda Frontera and their associates are seriously in love with paperwork and there were several times that, following stamping and couter-stamping extravaganzas, an official told me in a polite and somewhat awed manner: "Senor, you papers are very beautiful." In Spanish, of course.

Yes, this actually happened.

kerrydeare is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: