Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 23:58   #286

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship2210 View Post
Now this is the sort of help and advice that I know CF is all about. Good post Sumner.
+1 .
Excellent post Sumner. It is much more in the true spirit of CF than the bunch of posts criticising someone enthusiastically pursuing their dream.

BlackOak, your spirit is to be admired. Please don't stop posting.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 00:18   #287

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
+1 .

... It is much more in the true spirit of CF than the bunch of posts criticising someone enthusiastically pursuing their dream.

BlackOak, your spirit is to be admired. Please don't stop posting.
I couldn't agree more!
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:11   #288

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Come on, GaryMayo, be honest. Reading between the lines, we can already see that you envy BO, so just admit it! You want to swap a lake for an ocean, Nebraska for Florida, being too careful for being gutsy. Admit it, mate!
I have plans for my retirement, finding a marina with bigger water. However, I am prudent, not devil-may-care in nature. My adventures beyond the safety of port will be no more adventuresome than the tranquil waters I enjoy now. My exploits in retirement sadly, for all reading, will hold no titillation.

It will be fun sailing in one direction for more than twenty minutes.!

Sumner is on the right track, because she is suggesting prudent strategies to get on track. Not back on track, on track for the first time.

If I were going to recommend a vital piece of equipment, it would be an appropriate anchor and rode so he could wake up in the same place he goes to sleep.

The last two BO posts, he was quiping nautical terms like an old salt. Does that seem out of character to anyone else here? Maybe they are printed on the back of his towing membership card for quick reference.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:02   #289

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Some in this list, good ideas, some, not so good:

Motorcycle? Motorcycle safety course. Good

Airplane? Cesna flight school. Good

Tractor trailer? CDL and all that goes with it. Good

Concealed Cary Permit? Hangun safety course. Good

Adopt a puppy? Take a class or two ASPCA. Good

Buy a house? Credit score, go through extensive closing ritual. Good

Crack at stand up comedy? Host the tonight show. Not so good

Thinking of becoming a doctor? Order bone saws on-line. Not so good

Forth of July coming up? Make your own fireworks. Not so good

Hungury? Homemade birds nest soup. Not so good

Bungie jumping? No Bungie cord. Not so good

First time in a sailboat? Head out to sea, alone, towards the Bahamas. Good idea? Not so good?

All is well that ends well, let's hope this story ends in a very nonflamboyant way.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:19   #290

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

GM

You seem almost as obsessed with BO as with William Crealock.

Let it go.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:13   #291
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
The last two BO posts, he was quiping nautical terms like an old salt. Does that seem out of character to anyone else here? Maybe they are printed on the back of his towing membership card for quick reference.
I think it's just Blackoak displaying a sense of humour .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:23   #292

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Goood Morning Marco Island FL, and Crusiers Forum!

Sumner, thanks for that info.

Well its 6:30 am, and thanks to Rocketman, I got to sit on a real toilet this morning, and took a nice long hot shower. Rocketman came by yesterday, and we (mostly He) spent the day messin with my boat, and especially the motor, and it was a great day of watching and learning, with plenty of laughter and story telling. Awesome guy this Rocketman!!! A true "Renaissance Man" if ever I have seen one. He showed me his Bend-A-Toe, and its a beautiful vessel, and I could see the FUN in a boat like his.

Got the oil changed, and Rocketman even experienced the saucy flavor of old engine oil when trying to get the little pump he brought along, to get the oil out, primed. Just had to ask him, which taste worse, gasoline or oil? I was looking on, and saw the oil go into the pump, but was a second to late to warn him! I felt so bad.

After the oil was changed, he took a look at my disconnected/by-passed fuel lift pump, since I had issues with the engine dying coming into Marco. Apparently the PO, had a problem with the pump, and choose to install an electrical fuel pump instead of messing with the lift pump. Rocketman reconnected the lift pump and discovered there was a small leak. Beneath the port quarterberth, there is a storage spot that I knew held some parts for the boat. We dug through the stuff and found a new lift pump, but the fittings were a little different, so he said we could go to a hardware store today and get the fittings I needed, and maybe take a sail today. I am looking forward to that.

We moved my boat to a closer spot to his boat, after he fired up the motor, he commented that there was a vibration, possibly coming from the prop being barnaculed up, and that he would loan me his scuba gear so I could take a look at the prop. The thought of jumping in the water was not very appealling to be, nor was being under my boat, but I guess I need to do this as it comes with the territory. Cant say that I am not curious to see the bottom of my boat, though that water looks COLD.

I asked him to show me the proper way to set and anchor. Seeing it done, explained alot to me from the suggestions people have posted here. Also Rocketman showed me how to retrieve the anchor without having to pull the boat to the anchor. He made it look so easy! That was some needed education for me.

The day passed by to quickly for me, it was getting dark and it was time to put away things and greet the night. The Bar was open on Rocketman's boat, and while I am not a drinker per se, it was a pleasant time enjoying a rum and coke with this guy, on a great boat, talking-n-tellin stories. Thanks Rocketman!

PS. Rocketman loaned me a 2hp mariner motor for my dingy while I am here to get around, and by damn it sure beats the hell out of rowing everywhere! Boat people are so awesome!
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:29   #293
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Ive generally stayed out of this thread, Im not a fan of the " just go for it" approach, I used to teach sailing etc, the experiences of the OP is not uncommon and often results in people leaving the sport. This is especially true for women crew of male skippers, who undertake passages neither is prepared for and often results in it being their last.

I think that those that applaud derring do etc are severly mis-informed. I happen to know many adventurers, ranging from Mercenaries, extreme mountain climbers, Antartic sailers etc, All can be characterised by the diligence they prepared, trained and prepared their ground. THEN , they did the derring do stuff and generally survived to tell the tall tales to the likes of me.

Sailing has the misfortune, say unlike flying, that it seem accessible, easy on the surface to understand etc . What many don,t realise , its not the technicalities of sailing that can get you ( even though they can) ITS THE SEA NOT THE SAILING. Thats the bit thats needs experience and training.

I know several BlackOak, types, that have tried this sort of thing , most actually chuck it in, a few made it all the way. Its great but "its no way to run a railway"

Dave
Old 08-01-2013, 04:40   #294

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

BlackOak, your right, most boat people are awesome. There are a few bad apples though. I was hoping to meet you here at Fort Myers Beach, but you went by to Marco. I have enjoyed reading your adventures, and wish you nothing but the best as you continue...maybe see ya in the Keys...
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:03   #295

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ive generally stayed out of this thread, Im not a fan of the " just go for it" approach, I used to teach sailing etc, the experiences of the OP is not uncommon and often results in people leaving the sport. This is especially true for women crew of male skippers, who undertake passages neither is prepared for and often results in it being their last.

I think that those that applaud derring do etc are severly mis-informed. I happen to know many adventurers, ranging from Mercenaries, extreme mountain climbers, Antartic sailers etc, All can be characterised by the diligence they prepared, trained and prepared their ground. THEN , they did the derring do stuff and generally survived to tell the tall tales to the likes of me.

Sailing has the misfortune, say unlike flying, that it seem accessible, easy on the surface to understand etc . What many don,t realise , its not the technicalities of sailing that can get you ( even though they can) ITS THE SEA NOT THE SAILING. Thats the bit thats needs experience and training.

I know several BlackOak, types, that have tried this sort of thing , most actually chuck it in, a few made it all the way. Its great but "its no way to run a railway"

Dave
There is an old saying here in Denmark - "Only a fool fears not the ocean" Which is quite true. Black Oak apparently will make it if he continues, but probably only because of Capt. Shelly and several others. He got lucky. Others have not been so.

I said it earlier in this thread - he should get some sailing lessons (and and lessons, and motor lessons and and and)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:18   #296

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Blackoak,

If your boat makes it to Key West you can use my mooring for free for as long as you need, I'm on another mooring so it's vacant.
Here you can take a long break and study for any further sailing adventures.
And, your boat will be on a safe mooring for you to run home and visit family.

endoftheroad
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:27   #297
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
A lot of sense in what you write (as always!) - but nonetheless with Black Oak we were dealing with a "we are where we are" scenario. I certainly agree that a less than ideal approach to learning and certainly would not have been my recomendation (and I doubt that of many others) - but to be fair to BO I think he too was aware of that, at least after his first trip he was .

Your comments in regard to the female half of the crew do not surprise me - my bet is that a lot of: "I just don't like boats - so I am staying ashore " is actually polite for: "I think you don't know what you are doing - and I have no confidence that you ever will, and am not willing to commit hari kari" .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:58   #298

Quote:
If I were going to recommend a vital piece of equipment, it would be an appropriate anchor and rode so he could wake up in the same place he goes to sleep..
This would be based on your extensive reading on the subject?

Quote:
Out of charactor? This from a guy sailing on a landlocked lake in a trailer sailor dispensing advice on salt water sailing to any and all.

Yes, the Crealock thing is kind of creepy. Hard to imagine Bill designing a cheap 32x8 boat with two sticks. I guess even the great ones have to start somewhere.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:38   #299

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
Goood Morning Marco Island FL, and Crusiers Forum!

Sumner, thanks for that info.

Well its 6:30 am, and thanks to Rocketman, I got to sit on a real toilet this morning, and took a nice long hot shower. Rocketman came by yesterday, and we (mostly He) spent the day messin with my boat, and especially the motor, and it was a great day of watching and learning, with plenty of laughter and story telling. Awesome guy this Rocketman!!! A true "Renaissance Man" if ever I have seen one. He showed me his Bend-A-Toe, and its a beautiful vessel, and I could see the FUN in a boat like his.

Got the oil changed, and Rocketman even experienced the saucy flavor of old engine oil when trying to get the little pump he brought along, to get the oil out, primed. Just had to ask him, which taste worse, gasoline or oil? I was looking on, and saw the oil go into the pump, but was a second to late to warn him! I felt so bad.

After the oil was changed, he took a look at my disconnected/by-passed fuel lift pump, since I had issues with the engine dying coming into Marco. Apparently the PO, had a problem with the pump, and choose to install an electrical fuel pump instead of messing with the lift pump. Rocketman reconnected the lift pump and discovered there was a small leak. Beneath the port quarterberth, there is a storage spot that I knew held some parts for the boat. We dug through the stuff and found a new lift pump, but the fittings were a little different, so he said we could go to a hardware store today and get the fittings I needed, and maybe take a sail today. I am looking forward to that.

We moved my boat to a closer spot to his boat, after he fired up the motor, he commented that there was a vibration, possibly coming from the prop being barnaculed up, and that he would loan me his scuba gear so I could take a look at the prop. The thought of jumping in the water was not very appealling to be, nor was being under my boat, but I guess I need to do this as it comes with the territory. Cant say that I am not curious to see the bottom of my boat, though that water looks COLD.

I asked him to show me the proper way to set and anchor. Seeing it done, explained alot to me from the suggestions people have posted here. Also Rocketman showed me how to retrieve the anchor without having to pull the boat to the anchor. He made it look so easy! That was some needed education for me.

The day passed by to quickly for me, it was getting dark and it was time to put away things and greet the night. The Bar was open on Rocketman's boat, and while I am not a drinker per se, it was a pleasant time enjoying a rum and coke with this guy, on a great boat, talking-n-tellin stories. Thanks Rocketman!

PS. Rocketman loaned me a 2hp mariner motor for my dingy while I am here to get around, and by damn it sure beats the hell out of rowing everywhere! Boat people are so awesome!
First, hats off to Rocketman for doing good things and setting a good example for us all.

Are you SURE you want to try your hand at scuba diving? Oh, I see. You are NOT sure! Well, a wet suit will keep you not toasty warm, but at least you won't feel like you are dying. You don't really need tanks, regulator, BC, etc for a simple prop cleaning. A snorkle will do ya. You could also careen the boat and maybe not even have to work in water over your head. The process is pretty simple. Anchor at high tide where your keel just touches bottom. Put a list on the boat by moving heavy stuff to one side of the boat. Some will tell you to rig the boom over that side, but I don't like that idea. I have this image in my head of a boat with a nice long boom flopping right over, stubbing the boom tip into hard sand or coral, and bending it. LOL not likely to happen like that but you never know until you try. Just move stuff. Water, stores, tools, you, etc. Stuff that could slide or fall and break, secure it. You may be laying over at better than 45 degrees depending on hull and keel configuration. At low tide, get out there and gitter done. You can inspect your through-hulls too, and give your bottom (of the boat!) a good scrape. Do this in calm water. You don't want your boat bouncing up and down on the keel over hard bottom while waiting for the tide to ebb! Move your anchor out into deep water in case you need to kedge off. Wait for high tide and if all goes well, you will float off and sail away. You can of course stay for the next tide and do the other side. If high tide comes and you are still stuck, take your anchor line to a winch and slowly crank yourself out toward deep water. Put a strain on it, and when it seems to be coming slack, put some more strain on it. Repeat. As it comes a little slack, tighten it up again with the winch. Use your sails to assist, if feasible. Engine too, if you know your prop and intake are clear. Obviously if you get your boat to heel over hard to one side, that reduces your effective draft and can make the difference. This can take a while. Works, if your anchor is well set. Don't call sea-tow! LOL! If you have to, take the anchor out further, in your dinghy, and set it waaaaay out. With enough scope it ought to bite in, eventually.

Now... is this worth it, for just a 10 minute prop cleaning? Not really. But something good to know how to do. On an extended cruise, your hull could get fouled enough to rob you of a knot or more of speed. Careening, when possible, can save you a bunch of money vs a haulout.

With some radically fin-keeled boats, careening is not a good idea. With any full keel boat, absolutely no sweat at all. Your run of the mill boat with a sturdy semi-fin keel, you should be okay. If it looks strong enough, it is probably strong enough.

While you are in the water, if you have a folding prop, make sure it works correctly. You get a considerable reduction in drag. If you have a two bladed prop, make sure that the blades are up and down, and when you are back in the boat, mark the top of the shaft so you can orient your prop for minimum drag. Check your through-hulls, as best you can, too. Make sure they are clear, with no stuff growing on or in them. They can be pretty hard to find.

Good luck BO and may the saga continue. Bermuda awaits!
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:34   #300

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Oh.....
And them damn barnicles will slice your skin open and the end result could be infection.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda