Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25   #1

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I have not seen anything on the Bounty story lately. Any new developments? Would be interested in seeing videos of crew or family members, if anyone has links.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Any New Developments In The Bounty Saga?

Full Bounty Hearings Coverage:

Day 8: The Whole Truth
Day 7: The 17th Passenger
Day 6: The Cost of Waiting
Day 5: Sins of Omission
Day 4: The Illusion of Experience
Day 3: Testimony Highlights the Complexity
Day 2: Rotted Frames on Bounty
Day 1: Chief Mate Testifies

Day 1 ➥ Recap: Chief Mate Testifies – Bounty Hearings – Day 1 | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:58   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Waiting for the Coast Guards findings from the hearings.

I don't even know what their findings can show... Can they change laws? Recommend changes? Comment of current laws and practices? Or just comment on this particular case. Can they recommend parties for criminal prosecution?

All that sort of stuff. It will be interesting to see.

Or do they just sit on their report and not publish it? Or release it in five years when its politically dead?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 23:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Full Bounty Hearings Coverage:

Day 8: The Whole Truth
Day 7: The 17th Passenger
Day 6: The Cost of Waiting
Day 5: Sins of Omission
Day 4: The Illusion of Experience
Day 3: Testimony Highlights the Complexity
Day 2: Rotted Frames on Bounty
Day 1: Chief Mate Testifies

Day 1 ➥ Recap: Chief Mate Testifies – Bounty Hearings – Day 1 | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News
Thanks for posting this, lots to read.
Old 13-03-2013, 00:50   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I was floored that they were using DAP household caulking for the seams. It seemed like some of the crew had a title they could not live up to. Back in the day, you had to have a certificate in order to be bosuns mate or engineer.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 03:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I was floored that they were using DAP household caulking for the seams.
I think I read that it was DAP 33. That is not caulk it is window glazing putty.
My bad, I went back and read it again. There was some confusion during the hearing as therewas a picture and a reference with dap and the # 33 have been used and they have raised the question if it was a household sealant (window glazing putty) .

My take on this is It's just journalism until the final report comes out.
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 08:26   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
I think I read that it was DAP 33. That is not caulk it is window glazing putty.
My bad, I went back and read it again. There was some confusion during the hearing as therewas a picture and a reference with dap and the # 33 have been used and they have raised the question if it was a household sealant (window glazing putty) .

My take on this is It's just journalism until the final report comes out.
From the testimony and not journalism...

Kosakowski – lead shipwright and project manager for Boothbay Harbor Shipyards - Testimony from Day 2
Shisha: “Was DAP used below waterline on the Bounty?”
Kosakowski: “Yes”
Shisha: “Would you?”
Kosakowski: “No.”
Shisha: “Why?”
Kosakowski: “It doesn’t work.”
But when asked about the sealing material used on Bounty on day 4, Cleveland told Commander Kevin Carroll, “We used DAP, which is a Home Depot product.”
Carroll: “Below the waterline?”
Cleveland: “I thought the DAP worked really well under the waterline…”
Carroll: “Who chose the products?”
Cleveland: “Captain Walbridge.”
“DAP” was DAP 33, a common household window glazing available from any local hardware store. When Groves was questioned concerning the material used during the 2012 yard period she told Carroll, “Starboard side we used NP1 Polyurethane…Port side we used DAP.” (NP1 is another product sold in local hardware stores.)
Carroll: “Why not just use one?”
Groves: “It was an experiment. Dan [Cleveland] had tried it [NP1] on a spot in 2011 and he saw that it had worked good so we got Robin’s approval to try it on the port side as an experiment.”
Kosakowski had mentioned a product in his testimony that he thought was good for the job of sealing the caulking on wood hulls: Pettit Seam Compound. But Pettit, specifically designed for marine use (and not available at Home Depot), was about ten times the cost of DAP.
When speaking to other hull repairs on Bounty, Daniel Cleveland testified about his Captain’s tutelage concerning the repair of wood rot on Bounty and how good his captain was at that type of work. “He was the one who taught me about Dutchmans, and scarfs.” Cleveland talked about a Dutchman as a common repair method for wood rot found on Bounty.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 23:56   #8

The owner pleads the fifth amendment and will not testify.

Repairs made with bath tub caulking from home depot.

The experience level of the crew was very low to nonexistent.

Equipment and alterations not in accordance with coast guard rules.

People should be indicted for manslaughter over this.
Old 17-03-2013, 00:56   #9

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
The owner pleads the fifth amendment and will not testify.

Repairs made with bath tub caulking from home depot.

The experience level of the crew was very low to nonexistent.

Equipment and alterations not in accordance with coast guard rules.

People should be indicted for manslaughter over this.
Agreed. The question is who? The Cat. is gone...he is CERTAINLY the most culpable. The owner is responsible on principle even if he was ignorant. The Mate to some point....but you can't blame the others right? Hell, they thought they were doing a BANG UP JOB!

What about the yard? They didn't DO the work, but they knew. It there a requirement to report?

Edited to add: I almost CHOKED when they said they were doing an "experiment"...Dap on one side and (whatever it was) on the other. Like I tried to anchor rodes as an experiment: dental floss and packing twine....
Old 22-10-2013, 05:28   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

EXCLUSIVE: 'Get some rest, you'll need it': New book reveals the moment arrogant captain of The Bounty told his crew the end was nigh moments before historic ship was sunk in Hurricane Sandy | Mail Online
Old 22-10-2013, 13:20   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Really this highlights the quandry of modern "sail training" tall ships. Historically the crew would have consisted of several experienced hands and a skipper with day in day out experience of the vessel. ( or similar). What we have now is really a loss of knowledge. The way to sail these ships is gone and in its place we have "an experience". Ive been on tall ships and Ive met many of the crew, aside from one or two semi-professional people, the rest are often totally unskilled and unprepared for sea life.

Dave
Old 22-10-2013, 13:52   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Somewhere, can't recall where, I read a recap of the incident. In that piece a lot of blame was laid on a broken sight glass on the day tank.

Supposedly the sight glass broke, emptied the day tank, and all the diesels ran out of fuel. (I don't know if that is even possible, it would seem the sight glass would have a VERY small aperture just to preclude this problem. Conjecture)

By the time they found the issue the situation had deteriorated so badly they didn't have enough time to effect a repair and get the engines going again.

Now, the situation may have been dire because the DAP didn't work, but the single point of failure (broken sight glass - if true) is also an issue.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:56   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Really this highlights the quandry of modern "sail training" tall ships. Historically the crew would have consisted of several experienced hands and a skipper with day in day out experience of the vessel. ( or similar). What we have now is really a loss of knowledge. The way to sail these ships is gone and in its place we have "an experience". Ive been on tall ships and Ive met many of the crew, aside from one or two semi-professional people, the rest are often totally unskilled and unprepared for sea life.

Dave
What was the story of the Gypsy Moth? Two certified captains but no one checked the charts on large scale?

Gipsy Moth IV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
On April 29, 2006, after a navigational blunder, Gipsy Moth ran aground on a coral reef at Rangiroa, an atoll in the Tuamotus, known as The Dangerous Archipelago in the Pacific Ocean. She was just 200 miles (320 km) from her next landfall, Tahiti. The yacht was seriously damaged
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 15:01   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
What was the story of the Gypsy Moth? Two certified captains but no one checked the charts on large scale?

Gipsy Moth IV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
well Antonia Nicholson was the skipper and the UKSA enquiry dismissed her from employment. I remember there was a relatively newbie on the helm. But theres no comparison with a Tall Ship.

What I was saying was, that in the past these ships would have had sailors with years of experience, including not only the captain, but sailing masters, mates etc. All this would have added to the expertise on board, today often only the skipper has real experience and a lot of that is not necessarily tall ship based.

dave
Old 22-10-2013, 15:17   #15

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
well Antonia Nicholson was the skipper and the UKSA enquiry dismissed her from employment. I remember there was a relatively newbie on the helm. But theres no comparison with a Tall Ship.

What I was saying was, that in the past these ships would have had sailors with years of experience, including not only the captain, but sailing masters, mates etc. All this would have added to the expertise on board, today often only the skipper has real experience and a lot of that is not necessarily tall ship based.

dave
The Bounty was built for a movie set not as an actual vessel for open ocean sailing. Even if you did put an experienced crew onboard, it may not have helped.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote