Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 11:31   #586

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Hard to say. Apparently, it originally cost $150,000 (presumably Au $) plus equipment, and has undergone about $50,000 in repairs (also provided free).

Don McIntyre, of Blackmans Bay, says he won't strip the 16-year-old Queenslander of the yacht, Ella's Pink Lady, which he provided for her circumnavigation attempt, despite doubts about her ability to survive the journey...”

... He and his wife Margie bought the $150,000 yacht to lend to Jessica and provided other equipment to allow the journey to go ahead...”

Source
Teen sailor still hopeful Sydney to Hobart - The Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania
Ok, so if she has to turn around, she can't sell the boat, but will have to give it back to its owner. That's good then, though I think he should have insisted that she not paint it barbie-doll pink...he's gonna have an expensive repainting project there if/when he gets it back.

Who paid for all the other stuff, like all the new electronics, the repairs after the crash, the 8-months worth of food, etc?
Old 12-10-2009, 13:14   #587
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Presumably her sponsors have put up the major funding & support; although I believe she may have also done some private fund raising.
Jessica Watson - youngest ever to sail around the world

She also sells merchandise.

The repairs to the “Pink Lady” were carried out by Gold Coast City Marina (GCCM) and Australian Marine Enterprises (AME).

Old 12-10-2009, 13:55   #588
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Yeah, I saw that
Old 12-10-2009, 14:28   #589
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Andrew Short, one of the two killed in a yachting accident in the Flinders Island race (see: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ead-31729.html) had hand-delivered a letter from Andrew Cape to Jessica Watson just hours before he (Mr. Short) died. The letter warned Jessica that the "unforgiving" ocean could cost her her life.

From the Sydney Morning Herald:

"HOURS before setting off on the ill-fated race that would cost him his life, Andrew Short delivered by hand a letter to teenage sailor Jessica Watson, warning that the ''unforgiving'' ocean could cost her life.

"The letter was penned by one of the world's leading yachtsmen, Andrew Cape, and then passed on to Mr Short who, as a friend and mentor, gave it to Jessica before her attempt to sail solo around the world."

For the full story, go to:

Andrew and Sally ... masters of their craft

TaoJones
Old 12-10-2009, 14:42   #590

From her latest blog:

I've also been kitted out with the full range of Ella Baché skin care products, and to begin with, I'll admit to being a little intimidated by all those tubes and bottles! But armed with a manual and plenty of great advice I think that keeping my skin in top condition will be good fun.

All that "all those tubes and bottles" of chemicals and dyes are gonna do is block her pores and give her acne.

Have you seen her pic? She's very pretty and her young face glows naturally with youth and health. She does not need need this crap on her face.
Old 12-10-2009, 14:50   #591
Armchair Bucketeer

Finally had a look at her website - IMO she writes very well (even though content not to my tastes, although to be fair I don't think it's meant to)

Be interesting to read her thoughts on this endeavour with the benefit of a few years of hindsight...........although I suspect "the book" will be out straight after she returns.

The Movie? Gonna have to be Miley Cyrus
Old 12-10-2009, 16:41   #592
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
It can happen

A quote from the previous owner of Cacique.
Rona sailed Cacique single handed around the world 1990 to 1993, she was awarded the Ocean Cruising Clubs 'Rose Medal' (after Sir Alec Rose) for a meritorious singlehanded circumnavigation.

Starboard side of freighter
"Singlehanded up the east coast of Bali through the Lombok Straight. Next morning with the tide and moon right we shot through the Bali Straight across the open water beyond and through the next straight. By 0740 the next day I'd been on deck for 25 hours avoiding the throngs of small fishing craft but I was feeling great - I'd been thinking about freinds. The morning was bright and sunny, we'd cleared the hazards of straights and fishermen, the wind was 12 knots astern and the only ship in view was going well clear. I went below to rest feeling a warm glow.
The windmills of the gods creaked.
Twenty minuites later the hairs on my neck stood up and I shot out of the companionway. Too late! The ship had changed course and steamed straigt across our bows. 'Cacique' afronted by the intrusion, rammed the freighter in the middle of its starboard side trying to shunt it out of the way. By the time I had checked we weren't sinking and collected the jib the freighter was out of name-reading distance. I started the engine and gave chase. after about 15 mins of chasing I realised my body was hurting badly and I jury rigged the forestay and lifelines. I ignored the anchoring equipment which would need a workshop." A quote from the skipper of Cacique November 92.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 12-10-2009, 17:42   #593

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Finally had a look at her website - IMO she writes very well (even though content not to my tastes, although to be fair I don't think it's meant to)

Be interesting to read her thoughts on this endeavour with the benefit of a few years of hindsight...........although I suspect "the book" will be out straight after she returns.

The Movie? Gonna have to be Miley Cyrus
I think most of the content is either written or heavily edited by her mother. Jess probably types out a few lines then Mom fleshes it out and formats it. Not that unusual; Zac's mom wrote most of his blog entries too.
Old 12-10-2009, 22:43   #594

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
I started another thread the other day, after the Tragic Yacht accident on NSW coast. "Yacht Accident" unfortunately 2 people were killed including the skipper and navigator.

another member Factor has made the following observation.

I must say I am amazed - girl hits boat - a million opinions, yacht hits rock - almost no one has something to offer.

At the risk of offending and annoying people, may I make some observations.

1. The yacht that hit the rock was white, not pink.
2. There were a crew of 18 experienced sailors, not a 16 yo girl solo.
3. I'm unsure, if Shockwave the white yacht was full of Ella Bache' skin care products.
4. The island was stationary at the time of accident, not a moving cargo ship.
5. The white yacht was sponsered as well.

The above is not discounting the tragedy of the accident or in anyway meant to be disrespectful of Andrew Short or his family.
Old 12-10-2009, 22:53   #595
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
[[Deleted]]

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 12-10-2009, 23:01   #596

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
My point Mark, is the stupidity of some of the DUMB comments on this thread.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 13-10-2009, 01:19   #597
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
The same thoughts (as Surfingm.....i) crossed my mind also. Why aren't JW distractors now calling for the cessation of yacht racing - which has been proven over and over again to cause death. If JW's voyage is potentially dangerous and she should be prevented from this danger then etc etc.

Again this is in no way meant to discount the tradegy or be be disrespectful to the families involved.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 13-10-2009, 01:58   #598
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Well put wotname. Goose/gander etc.
Old 13-10-2009, 05:19   #599
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
We don't know exactly what happened in the case of Short, an experienced hand.

We do know that Jessica, whose experience level is questionable at best, was not on deck while traversing shipping lanes.

I am not passing judgement on either, just pointing out that these two incidents appear on the surface to be apples and oranges.
Old 13-10-2009, 05:51   #600
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I think that is precisely the point - they are apples and oranges - a fully crewed boat hits a known charted object and a solo sailor hits a moving ship - that is precisely the point- I am not seeking to apportion blame in either case - just trying to understand how others are able to do that?
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson