Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 18:59   #61
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Who the Hell Turned Out the Anchor Lights in the USVI?

Jim-
'The oft quoted bit about designated anchorages is mostly malarky. There are very few such in the USA, and AFAIK none in most countries. "
The Northeast is chock full of 'em. There are "general anchorages" and "special anchorages" according to the coast pilot and the charts clearly show them the same two ways. The latter are in fact usually mooring fields, no matter what anyone wants to call them, and under the control of a local authority, i.e. a town or village "harbormaster".

That's the way the gummint defines 'em and runs 'em. I have no idea what's supposed to be in the USVI and all talk of the BVI is of course, totally irrelevant unless the US recently and clandestinely invaded or bought the BVI out, making US law apply there as well. (Hey, it could happen.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 00:18   #62

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I say this with great hesitancy, Ann, but I find your story difficult to believe. Guess it's my age. Writing letters home? Two of you? Next you're going to tell me this was with pen and paper? Writing? By hand? Really? Oops.....have to ask my hubby about that as he's older than me. Nope. He's never done it either.

Next you'll tell me you read newspapers made out of paper and printed on.

Obviously, I'm teasing. Funny how things make you think. And neither of us has ever hand written a letter. So, inspired by this I polled the boat. Well, not the boat, the people on our boat right now. Thought it might all go by age but didn't. We have 5 out of 11 who have never hand written a letter. But it's not all divided by age as we have an 18 year old who has and a 52 year old who hasn't. So took it a step further. What about a personal letter, period. Excluding business correspondence and excluding email. 2 out of 11 have not even mailed a personal typed letter.

Now on the other side. Don't say the art of letter writing has died. I would say that because of the convenience of email there is far more "letter writing" than before.

As to the lights you mention, I don't get the hesitancy or reluctance to turn on lights. If someone is coming to visit my house there's no law that requires me turn on the front light, but I do so they won't fall. Have led lights and turn them on. Seriously. Err on the side of caution. You're not going to get ticketed for turning one on. You're not going to get run into because you had your light on. Seems so simple that it might help and won't hurt so just do it. I'm just missing something as I don't grasp any reason not to. And I'd do it in a mooring as well if like many moorings I've seen that are still you need to get through to get to docks and such.

Ah yes - the younger generation - (including a 52 year old.) wastrels, lazy louts, ill-educated etc etc (add your own words here) They'll never amount to anything LOL

Wifey B - For years I didn't write letters by hand either. Then I received a handwritten letter from the daughter of a friend of mine and I realized just what a joy it was to receive one. Since then, I have started writing again. A handwritten letter is so much more personal in nature, and it also denotes that the writer was willing to expend time and energy just for you. Try it sometime - you'll be amazed at the reaction from the person receiving it.

By the way - kids just love getting letters, delivered by the mailman.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 00:19   #63

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

By the way - let's lighten up on the tone in this thread. No name calling please

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:14   #64
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I keep solar-powered tiki torches in the rod holders, and find them to be a marvelous supplement to the anchor light. I'm sure we've all been in the situation of leaving the mothership at 1700 for a clam bake, and not thinking to turn on the anchor light at that point because it's still light out. The torches turn themselves on at the stroke of dark, and make it a lot easier to find the boat when returning whether the anchor light is on or not.

I consider an anchor light a courtesy to other boaters. I especially appreciate others using a masthead light when I get up in the middle of the night to inspect the anchorage while exercising the plumbing. Makes it easy to check everyone's position without having to put on my glasses.

Powerboats who come into an anchorage after dark with the searchlight beaming are distinctly discourteous, demonstrating a lack of skill at the same time. Turn on the radar, turn up the gain, zoom in to 1/4nm, and try not to run over any blips. The bottom line here is that if you don't have the skill to run at night, don't run at night.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-07-2014, 09:38   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I have an important question. What is a "nome"?

Coops.
A nome is a gnome that was placed in a "fallow" field not fertilized with a dictionary and where the rest of the alphabet had not yet sprouted.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:36   #66

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
SNIP

The bottom line here is that if you don't have the skill to run at night, don't run at night.

SNIP
Thread winner
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:07   #67

Re: who the hell turned out the anchor lights in the USVI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
Maybe they were using their battery power to watch the USA lose to Belgium in the World Cup football and are too embarassed if american to light up again.
That's ludicrous.

Real Americans call it soccer, and they don't watch it.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:19   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I have an important question. What is a "nome"?

Coops.
It is similar to a troll, only not as funny.

Usually found taped to a drunk's head, by a duck.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:21   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
RODL. YES 2. Finally someone else who understands how useless the silent g really is!!!

The Lady Euphoria
Almost like anchor lihts.
Old 04-07-2014, 14:37   #70

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I keep solar-powered tiki torches in the rod holders, and find them to be a marvelous supplement to the anchor light. I'm sure we've all been in the situation of leaving the mothership at 1700 for a clam bake, and not thinking to turn on the anchor light at that point because it's still light out. The torches turn themselves on at the stroke of dark, and make it a lot easier to find the boat when returning whether the anchor light is on or not.

I consider an anchor light a courtesy to other boaters. I especially appreciate others using a masthead light when I get up in the middle of the night to inspect the anchorage while exercising the plumbing. Makes it easy to check everyone's position without having to put on my glasses.

Powerboats who come into an anchorage after dark with the searchlight beaming are distinctly discourteous, demonstrating a lack of skill at the same time. Turn on the radar, turn up the gain, zoom in to 1/4nm, and try not to run over any blips. The bottom line here is that if you don't have the skill to run at night, don't run at night.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gee, Bash, you might say that if you don't have the skill to turn on your anchor light before leaving the boat, then don't leave the boat! Or spend a very few bucks and buy an LED light to fit your anchor light, one that incorporates a daylight sensor and turns itself on.

And what the hell is so discourteous about using a spotlight to ensure that there is nothing in one's way? Something with a low radar cross section? I think that depending on radar when visual detection is available is foolish and demonstrates a lack of skill. The bottom line here is if a brief flash of light in the night is so disturbing to you, maybe you shouldn't anchor at night.

As one who has lived at anchor for many years now, in a wide variety of environments, I'd much rather have an incoming vessel using a light and looking around than staring at a radar display. When we are forced to enter an anchorage at night, I personally use both: radar and a spotlight... the radar from a distance to get the general picture, and then a spotlight to get a good look for mooring buoys or other impediments before I drop the hook.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-07-2014, 15:29   #71

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Gee, Bash, you might say that if you don't have the skill to turn on your anchor light before leaving the boat, then don't leave the boat! Or spend a very few bucks and buy an LED light to fit your anchor light, one that incorporates a daylight sensor and turns itself on.

And what the hell is so discourteous about using a spotlight to ensure that there is nothing in one's way? Something with a low radar cross section? I think that depending on radar when visual detection is available is foolish and demonstrates a lack of skill. The bottom line here is if a brief flash of light in the night is so disturbing to you, maybe you shouldn't anchor at night.

As one who has lived at anchor for many years now, in a wide variety of environments, I'd much rather have an incoming vessel using a light and looking around than staring at a radar display. When we are forced to enter an anchorage at night, I personally use both: radar and a spotlight... the radar from a distance to get the general picture, and then a spotlight to get a good look for mooring buoys or other impediments before I drop the hook.

Cheers,

Jim
We generally don't pull in at night but when we do we use whatever it takes to avoid a collision-radar, night vision, sonar, spotlight. The reason we take such precautions is those who don't properly illuminate their boats. It's not so easy to turn on anchor lights and if appropriate for the size boat also some deck lights. And if your dinghy is in the water and not immediately connected then it needs light as well. We do everything we can to avoid bothering the rest of others and seldom do we pull in late night, but safety is and always will be our primary concern. The last time I came upon a mooring area in the dark there were not only a few unlit boats but there were dinghies everywhere, none of them lit. In fact one was out in the channel and two others within the field were actually banging into each other. And if a little light does disturb you when trying to sleep, I'd recommend black out blinds. You'd sure be in trouble where we are at the moment in Alaska. Less than two hours of dark.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 15:32   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Cheers,

Jim
Have to agree. Some things just won't show well on radar. And I think a light can be used with some care to prevent blinding or waking up the neighbors.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 15:48   #73
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

This whole conversation sounds a bit like belonging to a Strata Association where a committee decides the color of your curtains and the size of your dog.

Third world anchorages are dark at night so if there is a light....it's a bonus.

Radar on aproach with a VRM set to my swing radius....I will use a spotlight when I need to

...but use a spotter on the bow to direct the light per my instructions.... No big deal.

Always thought Common Sense rather than PC Incense was the character of our sailing fraternity.

I respect other captain's decisions and just deal with it.

Time for a musical interlude
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 17:49   #74

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: who the hell turned out the anchor lights in the USVI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
Last night Great Cruz and Cruz Bay where both full and dark. Went over to St Thomas and red hook, the two after the cut and StJames bay where all full and no lights. Finally came to the Arm Pit and 3 out of 17 boats had there lights on. Just kind of sucks when your tired and looking for a hook spot. I think that most folks who are on the ball don't think they need a light on.

The Lady Euphoria
I suspect most of those boats were not anchored but tied to moorings.. For whatever reason in most or at least many places there is a local tradition by which boats tied to a permanent mooring, particularly when no one is on board, will not use anchor light.

See for example the typical English harbour by-law rule that says "Unmanned vessels and vessels with only shipkeepers on board, where secured to moorings out of the fairway, may be exempted by the Queen's Harbour Master from the necessity of carrying anchor lights"

The only place in the world in which I see almost every boat tied to a mooring has an anchor light on is the BVI (except Paraquita Bay). Therefore I do not enter anchorages/mooring fields at night.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 18:00   #75

Boat: 1984 34 Oday
Who the Hell Turned Out the Anchor Lights in the USVI?

I'm sitting in Cruz bay at this very moment watching a pleasure craft anchored in the middle of the commercial lane but it does have a light on so it's all good with me. I give up. To each his own and just try to be safe out there!

The Lady Euphoria
justjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor