Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 11:03   #301

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Vendee Globe Starts Today, Facts, Video, Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Wow. I don't know how one can be so dismissive towards someone who has finished the VG in third place despite having a bunch of problems, someone who has several single-handed records. Like I said before, nothing against Armel - but sure seems like someone feels that AT is undeserving.

Well enjoy the remainder of the race
I did never said such thing. I was only talking about why the French talk about Armel to be the best sailor. If you saw both curriculums you should have understood why.

I was not being dismissive regarding Alex. He is a top solo sailor and if he won this race is because he deserve it.

But Armel and Gabart are on the present the two best monohull solo sailors. You have only to look at what they had won to see that.

There are other great solo sailors, but older and not at his prime like these too. Maybe Alex will join them one day, but for that he has much work to do and many victories to win...and for starting, winning this race
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:22   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Another couple of miles from Alex! The fox is being hunted!
The Chacal, not the Fox.... and we will see who wins but regarding your enthusiasm do you have looked at the weather?
https://gis.ee/vg/
Armel is passing a zone with very weak winds, a high pressure zone. Soon it will be Alex's time to go there.

It is difficult to know who is losing or winning on these conditions but try the router on the weather forecast and run it for 12 hours from now, when they will be both sailing with steady winds. See who is gaining and for how many miles?

We will have to wait to see if that rings true or not

For the ones that don't know what I am talking about windy, the weather site, added a router that reads the wind ahead and taking that information in account establishes not only the best course but says how much miles will be covered on a given period of time. Try it, it is fun.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:31   #303

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Familiar with his nickname but I hunt foxes.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:42   #304

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Sometimes when somebody don't know what he is talking about it is better not to say anything or to do some research first
Wow. Arrogant and condescending. But I'll be generous and write it off to the language barrier.

While being accomplished with a laundry list of accolades on one's resume is certainly impressive, it does not preclude that others without it are not your equal. With only eighty some-odd miles separating the leaders, I think it's been demonstrated that Thomson is in the same class.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 13:16   #305

Another 8 miles in Alex's column! Considering they are both in the same amount of wind now with a slightly less favorable angle for Alex his Hugo is showing her speed.

Old 09-01-2017, 14:14   #306
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The ideal ending is both boats 100nm from the finish within 1 mile of each other, having a match race.

We would see the wear and tear on both man and machine, the changes and a climax like no other.

Can you imagine a photo finish?[emoji2]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 14:31   #307

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Of course nothing against Armel. He's a stoic. If he wasn't French they would hate him too.
Wow. Haven't been on this thread for a few days, but seeing these posts pop up is sad. This is an amazing race to watch. Can we just keep the jingoism out of it??
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 14:55   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Wow. Haven't been on this thread for a few days, but seeing these posts pop up is sad. This is an amazing race to watch. Can we just keep the jingoism out of it??
I'm describing the coverage - what an odd thing to quote and take out or context. For days now when they talk about Armel they basically criticize his stoicism and wished he would be open and emotional sharing. It's not a new thing and French athletes who are stoic and reserved get criticized for it. It's a fact of the culture.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 15:36   #309
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
I'm describing the coverage - what an odd thing to quote and take out or context. For days now when they talk about Armel they basically criticize his stoicism and wished he would be open and emotional sharing. It's not a new thing and French athletes who are stoic and reserved get criticized for it. It's a fact of the culture.
Now I understand why Bernard took the Long Way...[emoji2]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 16:25   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Now I understand why Bernard took the Long Way...[emoji2]
Now that is funny!

Old 09-01-2017, 20:07   #311

Alex lost a few miles in this last round because he cant use his foil to full effect. He is sailing close hauled while Armel is cracked off on a close reach. By morning the scene should change.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:55   #312

That does not explain why he is not able to sail, according to the router, to the polars when he is on light wind and why he is able to do that when he has stronger wind.

I believe that most logical answer is that he is one or more than one light wind sails damaged. Typically on a situation like this he would not say nothing.

Not any advantage in making it public and a disadvantage regarding giving knowledge to his opponent.

They have constant good wind on the next 36 hours and I believe that during that time Armel is going to win or at least not lose miles and after that there will be a delicate period of 24 hours where, if I am right, Alex will close again on Armel.

In 8 hours Armel recovered all the miles that had lost on the previous twelve and is about 0.8k faster now. The distance between them is now 99.5nm.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:33   #313

An interesting interview with Armel by the biggest magazine that is only about offshore sail racing: Course au Large.
48 heures décisives pour Armel Le Cleac'h - Course au Large

This was just before entering on the Doldrums, 3 days ago and is curious to hear is previsions face to what happened later:

How's the sailor?
I'm a little tired, it took a lot of maneuvering and adjusting the sails. The Doldrums are abnormally active for this time of year but that's how it is and he have to sail through them. The Doldrums are moving with me to the north. That should make it easier for my pursuers. ...

Right now you're concentrating on what's happening ahead or behind you?
The two ... in front, there is a zone to cross that will be decisive for the the race. The next 48 hours will be decisive. I know that the gap will be reduced, it will be necessary to sail well to stay ahead. I have some advance but what will count is the situation when we go out of the Doldrums. I hope it will turn out alright because we can not say that I have been having much luck on the last days.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:19   #314

Last update shows Armel winning some more miles and right now is 3k faster. Their speed will vary due to some patches of light wind but it seems that Armel after having passed successfully the Doldrums is in control again.

Next difficult pass will happen in 36 hours, on light winds again. He will see if Alex continues on Armel course trying to win over him sailing faster, or if he will try a different course, trying to pass him with a different and eventually better routing (more to the east).

Go ahead 36 hours and will see what I mean regarding that difficult path in lighter winds:
https://gis.ee/vg/

Meanwhile O'Coineen is thinking in what to do. I have a feeling that he will try to continue the race, even if disqualified after some improvised repairs on the boat. I like that guy. Should be a great partner to drink with

O'Coineen's 2017 got off to the worst start imaginable when Kilcullen Voyager Team Ireland dismasted on New Year's Day 180 miles south east of New Zealand. The violent Southern Ocean squall to blame ended O'Coineen's Vendée Globe dreams in an instant, and the 61-year-old had no option but to cut the entire rig free.

Rather than calling for help he fashioned a crude sail from the broken pieces of his boat and headed towards New Zealand, where he was eventually picked up by a fishing vessel.

Now, more than a week after the disaster, O'Coineen says he is finally coming to terms with his shattered dream and has begun weighing up the options of a next move. “Only the French would dream up such a mad crazy race, such an adventure, and lure and innocent young Irishman into it,” said O'Coineen, who found safe haven in Otago Bay in Dunedin on the southern tip of New Zealand's South Island.

“How do I feel about it? It's been an adventure, a challenge, and I feel privileged to have been able to do it. I took risks, I accept that, and I'm responsible for my own destiny. I'm proud I didn't call the rescue services. It's an emotional bomb, really, but that's life – you get kicked in the arse, you fall down and you get back up again. We're making plans for the future and let's see what happens.”

Since arriving in Otago Bay last Friday O'Coineen has been inundated with offers of support from locals, and has had camera crews lining up to interview him. “I'm a bit isolated here in one of the remote parts of the world but the people have been great,” he said. “I was front page on the local newspaper – me, together with a big story about the local penguin population. Not a lot happens here!”

The question remains as to what O'Coineen will do with his wounded IMOCA 60. One option is to ship it back to Europe alongside Paul Meilhat's SMA, another to refit it and sail it home. He's even had an offer from a Kiwi sailor to buy the boat in its current state. “I haven't made any final decisions yet,” he said. “I'm not in a massive rush – my family don't expect me back for a while! It's tempting to get a mast and try to sail the boat home but that's a huge logistics effort in itself. So I really don't know – the ball is in the air.”

News - Stricken O'Coineen planning next move - Vendée Globe 2016-2017
Old 10-01-2017, 09:19   #315

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I recall on one of the live broad casts that some on mentioned that Alex had done something different with his sails , perhaps a cut that favours more or less wind etc. Perhaps this explains the ability to sail to polars . Just a thought
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote