Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2011, 17:57   #31

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Just as a matter of interest the bureau of met has a storm watchers game. Its designed to educate kids and parents on tracking a storm and preparing for one.
Stormwatchers Game

May be of interest to many people here

Cheers
Oz
Cheers
Oz
The game is low quality. I posted the link before it completely downloaded. Its mainly for kids, so unless your on highspeed broadband its probably not worth downloading.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 18:18   #32

Boat: No boat, looking again.
My son has come home (Rockhampton) as he was washed out of Brisbane by the floods. He has beers in my fridge so I told him if the power goes out with the cyclone we can't let them go off by warming up, we will have to drink them all .
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 18:35   #33

Boat: Adams 24 - Budgie Smuggler
I`ve only just come down by coach to gosford,nsw from the daintree to buy my little yacht to live on. all i wanted to do was sail her straight back up, but the northerleys will keep me down south for a few months......how lucky can i be that i did`nt buy her a few months earlier. my heart bleeds for all in north queensland.. please stay safe & my thoughts are with you all.
BudgieSmuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 18:58   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
looks like its going to be bad,i work with these guys and we have pre positioned boxes in brisbane and sydney also here in cornwall.

we are part of rotary international,any donations greatly apperciated,our guys are now on standby.

www.shelterbox.org
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 19:45   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgie smuggler View Post
I`ve only just come down by coach to gosford,nsw from the daintree to buy my little yacht to live on. all i wanted to do was sail her straight back up, but the northerleys will keep me down south for a few months......how lucky can i be that i did`nt buy her a few months earlier. my heart bleeds for all in north queensland.. please stay safe & my thoughts are with you all.
What boat did you buy mate. I am near gossie.

Yeh,, youre lucky she is still down here.

Cheers
Oz
Old 31-01-2011, 20:24   #36

Boat: Lagoon 380 "Levanter"
How good is my planning! Flew from Alice Springs to Cairns on Saturday for a week. Just been out buying supplies and getting ready to hunker down.
simmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 20:38   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
What boat did you buy mate. I am near gossie.

Yeh,, youre lucky she is still down here.

Cheers
Oz
hi oz, bought a very old adams 24 (1970s) & am sitting in woy woy channel waiting on the winter southeasters & more funds to travel north. totally bare bones yacht... no cupboards or draws.. not even an anchor!! will sort her out though. i`m so pleased that i can`t head north at the moment.. feel for all those up north
Old 31-01-2011, 20:54   #38

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
latest bom track Cyclone Yari advise 6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yasi advise6.gif
Views:	156
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	23374  
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 21:45   #39

Boat: Stevens 47
This storm looks bad....I mean REEEEEEAAAALLLLY bad....latest marine reports have it generating "phenomenal seas"....that's 14 meters (46ft) and higher....that's HUGE seas...and it's only a Cat 3 so far...turning into Cat 4 tomorrow....expected landfall near Inisfail 4AM Thursday morning...
Get out while you still can!!!!

Here's a good link to ongoing weather coverage....
http://weatherwatch.co.nz/content/ph...australia-maps
Old 31-01-2011, 21:50   #40

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Budgie Smuggler,
Welcome to the CF. It's an amazing bunch of cruisers and a brilliant resource for just about anything from people who have centuries of experience.
Great name, but I'll guarantee it goes right over the heads of just about all the non Aussie members!

Ozskipper,
Small world. I'm in Gorokan, next to Toukley. Enjoying the heat? I never thought i'd say it but I'm feeling lucky compared to the poor devils in Qld!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 22:41   #41

Sitting here in Brissy waiting for Easter to head North, thankfull I am just watching. Stay safe and good luck.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 23:01   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Budgie Smuggler,
Welcome to the CF. It's an amazing bunch of cruisers and a brilliant resource for just about anything from people who have centuries of experience.
Great name, but I'll guarantee it goes right over the heads of just about all the non Aussie members!

Ozskipper,
Small world. I'm in Gorokan, next to Toukley. Enjoying the heat? I never thought i'd say it but I'm feeling lucky compared to the poor devils in Qld!
for those of you that the name budgie smuggler means ???!!!!???? having just bought this little yacht with no cupboards ,no storage whatsoever, sitting headroom only (bumps & bruises to prove it) and me being 6foot 4inches..... i felt like i was totally bursting out at the seams.....in australia,budgie smugglers are a term used for a very tight,very brief mens swimwear. normally worn by lifesavers & old men like me. they are said to be smuggling budgerigars inside their swimwear..... some smuggle small budgerigars...some smuggle bigger budgerigars.....some smuggle very lively budgerigars...... sadly, my budgerigars`s half dead & won`t wake up!!! hence, my name for my boat...again, best wishes for all up north, whether on land or sea.
Old 01-02-2011, 00:08   #43

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Airlie beach pictures from facebook
Login | Facebook

Before

After
Old 01-02-2011, 01:03   #44

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
latest tropical cyclone advise 7 from
Tropical Cyclone Threat Map Page (1)

YASI IS A LARGE AND POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND POSES A SERIOUS THREAT TO NORTH QUEENSLAND COMMUNITIES

The Cyclone is expected to slowly intensify overnight and continue moving in a west-southwesterly direction.

DAMAGING winds with gusts to 90 km/hr are expected to develop on the islands during Wednesday morning, then extend onto the coast during the day, and further inland across the northern tropical interior overnight.

Between Cooktown and Townsville these winds will become DESTRUCTIVE with gusts in excess of 125km/hr late Wednesday afternoon and VERY DESTRUCTIVE with gusts above 170 km/hr between Port Douglas and Cardwell during the evening as the cyclone approaches.

As the centre approaches the coast sea levels between Cairns and Townsville will rise significantly above the normal tide with damaging waves, strong currents and flooding of low lying areas near the shoreline.

Flooding rains will develop from Cooktown to Sarina during Wednesday afternoon and then extend inland overnight.

People between Cooktown and Sarina and extending inland to areas from Georgetown to west of Charters Towers should immediately commence or continue preparations, especially securing boats and property [using available daylight hours/before nightfall].
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yasi advise 7.gif
Views:	147
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	23383  
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:26   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgie smuggler View Post
hi oz, bought a very old adams 24 (1970s) & am sitting in woy woy channel waiting on the winter southeasters & more funds to travel north. totally bare bones yacht... no cupboards or draws.. not even an anchor!! will sort her out though. i`m so pleased that i can`t head north at the moment.. feel for all those up north
Go figure. I have an adams8 parked at gossie on point frederick, Its a little sparse also. lol.

Welcome to the Adams family

Cheers
Oz

Tags
queensland