Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2008, 15:39   #16

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
St Vincent is the only place I felt uncomfortable in a year and a half on the water. A boat boy threatened that he would come back after dark and kick my ass after I refused his service. I called the police and they said not to worry. They hear about idle threats like that all the time. That was 2002.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 17:41   #17

Boat: 43' performance cruiser
Grenadines SAFE?

I've lived onboard and cruised the Grenadines about three years with minimal safety precautions. NO PROBLEM!

I even spent Christmas and New Years in St Vincent waters, safe and sound.

BUT, during the past ten months, land based on St Lucia, I have endured five robberies. Last week when I was in the BVIs, my car was stolen and involved in a murder.

Give me the sea any day!
Old 27-01-2008, 18:13   #18

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Quote "I still like the drawing pins in paper as the cheap version, but I wanna electrify the boat! "

I suggest staightened out fish hooks with nice big barbs! Then as the head for their boat a nice Gasoline "Water Baloon" into their boat followed by a flare. Then sail out of the harbor as they suggested with no lights and don't stop for a good while.
I guess the gasoline bomb is a bit too much but I do like the fishook idea.
Maybe we all need to watch "Home Alone" a comedy about a kid alone at home and all the booby traps he rigs for a pair of burglars
Stay safe and leave the Rolexes and jewels at home, thieves can spot them a mile away!
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 21:20   #19

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Well--if you deterred a thief with a booby trap in the Land of Oz you would be in strife with the law.

The thief would have been coming aboard to invite you to a party when you electrocuted/wounded/ incinerated/blasted or otherwise sent him back pronto.

Until the intruder has actually committed a crime you have no reason to harm them-- and although it is likely they were up to no good there is no proof--

You represent a star on the board--a self-solving prosecutable crime.

Forget the booby traps. Stick with the floodlights and sirens and run the risk of being sued for pain and discomfort, temporary blindness and ear-wax loss. They would probably even get free legals to fight you in court--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 22:47   #20

Well, If we can't get the Marines to act like they are tourists in a sting operation; ( I still like that idea)

Who was that legendary 1st solo circumnavigator who used non-lethal, non-electronic warning devices (called carpet tacks) spread onto his deck, before retiring nightly?

The barefoot intruders sounded their own alarm as they unceremoniously disembarked.
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 23:28   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
Well, If we can't get the Marines to act like they are tourists in a sting operation; ( I still like that idea)
I can see a film in this!!!!!! Tom Cruise can star! "CAN 500 Marines storm an idillic coaral cay and shoot 3 villiagers? Watch Tom Cruise as the crusty, evangelical officer urge his bunch of misfit Marines! Not since Goldie Hawn has you seen a more realistic Military portrayal...."

Quote:

Who was that legendary 1st solo circumnavigator who used non-lethal, non-electronic warning devices (called carpet tacks) spread onto his deck, before retiring nightly?

The barefoot intruders sounded their own alarm as they unceremoniously disembarked.
OMG I have been found out as a plageriser! Yes, I stole the idea and didn't credit the old bugger because his book was published more than 50 years ago. I'm sorry, I'll repent! Wheres a drawing pin and I'll do a two-step on it
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 23:33   #22

Quote:
pogo
That would be Joshua Slocum......proven technology.

As for charter co advice, I've had cautions offered during chart briefings but I also dig on the web, cruising guides, noonsite, etc..
Unfortunately, there have been random incidents in "safe" places too which is unsettling for all & horrible for the victims.
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 08:14   #23

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
The only safety issues I have had in the BVI over the past few months is at moorings where some dumb owner/operator of a 58 foot motor yacht ties up along side in what is a 60 foot limit mooring with 10 foot extensions on the mooring line... 20 foot tether on the 14 foot dink.... what a dumb a** dink slammed 2 other boats and almost hit me before I told him I was rather proactive and if he didn't bring the dink along side... it would be owned by me in the AM.... He left at first light just before several other boats were ready to board and keel draw him
Old 29-01-2008, 09:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
And even if they ask at the charter base, what does one suppose the answer might be?
Therapy, it very much depends on which company you charter from, and who you are talking to at the time. If you are chartering in the Grenadines, I doubt if you could get a better briefing from anyone than from Scott, the Moorings manager at Canouan. He'll tell you exactly what is going on. If there are places he feels you should not go, or anchorages in which you should not be a boat alone, he will tell you - straight out which is the way it should be.

I've seen the guy organising boats, staff and customers for an impending hurricane (which fortunately missed) and the guy did a superb job and was very cool under pressure, especially under severe provocation from some charterers who left whatever they had for brains at home.

In short, there are good guys and not so good.

I've seen Walter one of the "boat-boys" in the Grenadines coming out to the Tobago Cays from Union Island, at 3 o'clock in the morning slap bang in the middle of a Force 8 gusting up to 55 knots, to take a frightened family off of a tri-maran. The guy sees that sort of thing as part of his normal work day: no thanks required just a smile will do.

Sail fast, live slow.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 23:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I can see a film in this!!!!!! Tom Cruise can star! "CAN 500 Marines storm an idillic coaral cay and shoot 3 villiagers? Watch Tom Cruise as the crusty, evangelical officer urge his bunch of misfit Marines! Not since Goldie Hawn has you seen a more realistic Military portrayal...."

Just curious, do you have spell check? or were you just so excited about the idea that you forgot to use it? Oh wait..I got it...you were using the vernacular. (As opposed to the jugular) Actually Mark, it probably could be filmed on location, as it happened in real time,by BBC. Someone would have to be there to pamper the oh ..... never mind.....

OMG I have been found out as a plageriser! Yes, I stole the idea and didn't credit the old bugger because his book was published more than 50 years ago. I'm sorry, I'll repent! Wheres a drawing pin and I'll do a two-step on it
LOL atta boy!!
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 23:57   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Just curious, do you have spell check?
Spell check?????? Yes, I have the best spell check money can buy! Its personally autographed by Bill Gates himself! He said I would never ever spell a word incorrectly again. So as I always use it I don't know whats wrong with my post!?!? Perhaps I should look at the Time it was sent? 6.28pm... ok that rules out drunkeness
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 01:47   #27

Well Tom would be around but on the beach serving drinks like in his best role yet, "COCKTAIL."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 10:07   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Spell check??????
Nufin rong with our spellin hay Mark! It's yu northin hemisfeer wons that spell diffrunt

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 10:34   #29
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
The idea of the electric cattle fencing was actually serious - I mean, as a passive system it would ensure that intruders let out a pretty good yelp in attempting to board, but it certainly wouldn't cause any significant injury. Sort of an updated version of Slocum's carpet tacks, but with the added advantage that it would work on more than barefoot intruders (and won't leave nasty rust/blood stains on the gelcoat)! I gather that nobody has tried it, so I may end up running a little experiment this summer. Now, who would I test it on....

Anyway, I do know that if I had it up and running last summer I'd probably still have my outboard. That and the deckfloods and an alarm should have virtually all prospective thieves making a hasty retreat to shore (or at least, to easier targets).

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 10:59   #30
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
The idea of the electric cattle fencing was actually serious . . . I gather that nobody has tried it, so I may end up running a little experiment this summer. Now, who would I test it on....
Brad, that was seeratlas who tossed the electric fencing idea into the mix. He had a lot of other "innovative" ideas as well.

Many police officers subject themselves to being tased or maced to have first-hand knowledge of the effects, so I think it's only fitting that you test the electrified lifelines on . . . yourself! All in the interest of scientific research, and the enlightenment of fellow cruisers, of course.

May we look forward to your detailed report?

TaoJones

Tags
St Vincent and Grenadines, danger