Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2012, 08:06   #331
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkrabbe
Busby Noble now claims that he's a political refugee from New Zealand
Seriously?

Wow...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-04-2012, 12:38   #332

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.
Re: Nilaya / Berserk Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkrabbe View Post
Busby Noble now claims that he's a political refugee from New Zealand. It's not clear which country he's applying for asylum in - sounds a bit like he'll be roaming the seas like some kind of L. Ron Hubbard or Davey Jones.

Last I heard they're leaving the boat in Argentina and flying home.

Vestfold Blad (the newspaper owned by Brunstad Christian Church members) has come out with another editorial in Andhøy's support.

Now, I wonder if the department of work & income consider, "seeking refugee status", as grounds for cancelling dole payments!
Doubt it!
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 13:57   #333
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
If you look at the large number of views this thread has received you realize there are a large number of people interested in it and in the information being provided.
It's sorta fatally fascinating, like watching a train wreck, or a python poised to strike...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 17:06   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
It's sorta fatally fascinating, like watching a train wreck, or a python poised to strike...
file under: lunacy at the south pole.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 17:08   #335
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
file under: lunacy at the south pole.
Under the subtopic "Come to your senses before doing this".

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 17:12   #336

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Exactly! I also agree with the negative posts on this thread and eagerly wait for the latest news. He is a classicly inconsiderate yachty who leaves a dirty wake for all the rest of us to sail through. I couldnt give two shits about his supposed "adventure", the real adventurers opened up new possibilities to those who followed. This idiot is doing the exact opposite, his irresponsibilty is closing doors to those who would follow
+2 Absolutely
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 17:29   #337

Boat: PETERSON 44
Curious how we weigh this adventure against into the dark. Given that permits were waived and the boat didn't go to ruin. The trip did not kill anyone. I enjoyed this story. Is it presentation , personality or fact that eggs us so?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 18:31   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Curious how we weigh this adventure against into the dark. Given that permits were waived and the boat didn't go to ruin. The trip did not kill anyone. I enjoyed this story. Is it presentation , personality or fact that eggs us so?

if i am not mistaken, this sordid "adventure" has already cost lives in its previous incarnation.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 19:23   #339

The idea being that a good outcome is favorable to a bad one. Into the dark had opportunity fir a bad outcome. Because it did not and perhaps a difference of presentation it is more acceptable.
Why is a successful challenge more acceptable then a failed one. I think success trumps all odds. Presentation in failure would be second. perception follows a close 3rd. This guy has 3 strikes. I really don't care he is trying to experience a challenge. Maybe nit the way I do or you would. He must have some good skill and values. But we rely on what is reported not always the best way to understand a circumstance.
Old 03-05-2012, 19:35   #340
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I don't know what into the dark is or was but for me the Beserk issue isn't about success or failure. My issue with it is that here is someone deciding that their quest for adventure supersedes the determination of scientists from around the world that care needs to be taken with this environment.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 19:58   #341

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahh I was down there in 1957 on a submarine, and it was a big messy junk yard way back then ! These keepers of the envirement have made a mess nature can't cure !! Ya can't blame many years of mess on this fella !! LOL He may be a idiot, but he's sure not the only one who has left a mess down there !! Lets just blame him for what he's done if ya can !! Not for all the stuff ya read in the papers!! My Daddy told me to believe half of what I see and way less then that of what I read in news papers! Just my 2 cents
Old 03-05-2012, 20:06   #342
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Ahh I was down there in 1957 on a submarine, and it was a big messy junk yard way back then ! These keepers of the envirement have made a mess nature can't cure !! Ya can't blame many years of mess on this fella !! LOL He may be a idiot, but he's sure not the only one who has left a mess down there !! Lets just blame him for what he's done if ya can !! Not for all the stuff ya read in the papers!! My Daddy told me to believe half of what I see and way less then that of what I read in news papers! Just my 2 cents
My mom told me something like that once"belive 1/2 of what you see and none of what you hear!Just my moms 2 cents worth,but worthy advice it is...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 20:12   #343

Perhaps an official and binding form submitted by adventurers specifically forbidding any attempt at search and rescue and guaranteeing that a minimal (what's ok?) amount of pollutants are carried on the subject vessel would be a helpful compromise in situations like this?

I suppose crew would need to individually certify their agreement to be fully autonomous of pesky governmental interference, as exemplified by such instances as the previous Berserk vanishment: "Mike Roberts, who leads the Maritime Rescue Central on New Zealand confirms that there will be no more helicopter searches on account of the pilot being exhausted.".
dbostrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 20:35   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway
I don't know what into the dark is or was but for me the Beserk issue isn't about success or failure. My issue with it is that here is someone deciding that their quest for adventure supersedes the determination of scientists from around the world that care needs to be taken with this environment.
Sorry mis quoted title http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/076790..._iv_books?is=l
Hope that helps it's a good read. I just do not see where this guy is so offensive. We lost more sailors on the west coast in benign conditions the past weeks. Some how this is perceived as a greater fault.greater harm. I don't see how we are weighing the difference.
Old 03-05-2012, 21:48   #345
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I am exhausted...

Having spent the last couple of hours wading through this thread...

Fools names and fools faces - follow the money. Without notoriety there is no story. Without a story there is no monetizing.

Who's to say it is all not just carefully crafted to stay in the papers.

The best part is that this thread is way more interesting than any book or tv show this guy might produce. And it's free - LOL

Paying fines for transgressions against governments? All part of the production costs. Indomitable spirits, vikings, hells angels, the underdogs? International kidnapping? A low speed chase across the antarctic to Chile? Interpol? International diplomacy being tested" Against big government protagonists? This guy has his audience and is stupid like a fox...

If he makes money and has fun doing it - good on him.

If the big government bureaucrats spank him, take him to court, fine him and tell him not to do it again - good on them. And lucky for him...

As opposed to the Ukranians "maybe" being lost becuase they didnt check in for a couple of days? Which story are you reading?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote Reply