Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2012, 07:58   #121
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Mexico...a Changing Place

as the zeta cartel is already in our lovely state of teejass doing their wonderful help to citizenry in state of teejass, i dont see how narco problems in mexico are the big deal, anymore--seems we should be concentrating on the removal of dirt in usa-- with zetas in usa and trying to control more area than they had, do you think mebbe it is time to refocus on the realities of life---**** happens and life goes on. we cannot stop the drug wars the usa has big financial interests in keeping alive--even my dea friend is quitting her job this year. go figger. disappointment in governmental handling of a drug war the government has no interest in stopping, due to its financial rewards????
go figger. will continue to grow and change the world until some changes occur. is basic and deeep.
however, most of the tourists are safe, as they dont run to the local cartel for goodies .....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 08:47   #122

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
Haven't you heard? Marquesas is a changing place, reverting to cannibalism. Better stay home.
Or replenish there. Nothing like a nice plump grain-fed free-range "long pig", mmmm. I hear that with all the preservatives we eat nowadays, our bodies take thee times as long to decompose. Makes the jerky and home-canned meals last longer.....

But seriously, the only case I've heard of where a cruiser got invited to be guest of honour at a banquet (and main course), was where a German went goat hunting with strangers and discovered he was the goat. I'll look at the Marquesas cannibals a bit closer, but it also happens in the so called safety of home. There was a famous case in Germany in the last couple of years.
Old 31-08-2012, 09:06   #123

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Ya...a sad story about that. Apparently the cannibalism part was conjured up by a German tabloid and not true. They eventually caught the guy.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 09:45   #124
CLOD

Boat: none

cannibalism .............. talk about a thread drift
Old 31-08-2012, 09:48   #125

The last mention I can find is that the hunter confessed shooting the German, but claims it was accidental self defence. He can't explain why he burnt the body. Hmmm. Too much sensationalism, too much hype. Suggestion: if you go hunting with total strangers, you carry the gun. Especially if you're in remote areas, or are hunting with Dick Cheney, neuroscience students, or former military psyops personnel. Heck, go alone, at least it narrows down the suspect list some! If it's your time to go, you go, no matter how "safe" the area is. Most people carc it in bed. Be smart, and live while you are.
Old 31-08-2012, 12:31   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
. Suggestion: if you go hunting with total strangers, you carry the gun.

Note to self...Stay away from guns while cruising!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 31-08-2012, 12:44   #127

Stay away from bullets....
Old 09-09-2012, 00:05   #128

Boat: Seafarer 38
Bullets can certainly be found in Mexico and Latin America. There are more of them flying there than the USA. It doesn't do anyone any good to hide from the truth. That said, cruising is adventure and entails risk.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:28   #129

Boat: Irwin 43

We have spent two years and logged about 3500 miles in Mexico starting in 2010. A few comments about Mexico.

a) We anchored in Z-Town for 3 weeks and really enjoyed it. At one of the anchorages there was a para sailor that wanted to take people over our boat. We immediately moved to another anchorage. We were happy to pay a few pesos for assistance with our dingy when we went to shore.

b) We are commuter cruisers so we leave our boat for between one and three months while we go back to the states. I could not imagine leaving our boat at an anchorage while we are not there. Many of the marinas have summer rates, for example the Marina in Ixtapa charges about $500 per month for a 50 foot boat during the summer months. This summer our boat is in Mazatlan where Total Yacht Works is doing our annual maintenance.

c) We've taken several trips for between one week and one month inland. We really enjoyed Copper Canyon and the colonial towns of San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato and Guadalahara. These are world class destinations and are well worth the visit.

d) At no time have we felt threatened or unsafe in Mexico. In fact, we've found Mexico to be a warm and friendly place.

e) For those of you that are afraid to go to Mexico because the country is a corridor for drugs headed for the United States, this is your loss.

It is sad that this cruiser lost his boat, here is what I've learned from his story:

a) Even though you are an American(ha ha) don't assume that you can throw down a mooring in foreign waters, tie your boat to the mooring, and leave the country.

b) If you cannot afford to pay to have your boat properly maintained and stored do not go cruising. If you must go cruising buy a smaller boat and save a bit of money so you can maintain and store your boat.

c) Do not leave your boat on an unprotected mooring in a hurricane zone for the summer.

d) In the event that disaster strikes, blame everyone for your problems. Forget the fact that you left your boat on an under rated mooring, in an unprotected anchorage during hurricane season, in a foreign country.
TugTubPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 08:28   #130

It should be interesting to hear what experiences people come back with this year from cruising Mx.
Old 18-09-2012, 13:39   #131

so far, i am still here and mexican locals are still very friendly and helpful souls. hasnt been any problem here , and i believe as long as i pay attention and take good care of me, there will be no problem. i follow my instinctive feelings when summer comes--i stretched this year--i am summering in la cruz de huanacaxtle, but next summer, dont have a clue--i will be more south.
i know i will be spending some time--mebbe months , in zihuatenejo, as i have friends there who live in houses and run stores and stuff....
Old 18-09-2012, 14:42   #132

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Oh, come on now...Everyone knows that the Mexicans chop all the gringo's heads off with a machete!

Anyone here that posts anything different from that is obviously a Mexican impostor trying to lure more gringos down below the border just to increase machete sales to the locals!

We're on to you and your headhunter tricks!

Old 18-09-2012, 14:43   #133

I think like any country it depends on the city you're in. My boat is in Antioch for another few weeks. I do not feel overly safe there. I'm going to berth in the Bay area. Much nicer.
Old 18-09-2012, 14:44   #134

si seeenyore,,,we waiteen for jyooo to come heer so we can choot jyoooo...and steel jyore bote....
Old 18-09-2012, 15:56   #135

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Yep Mexico is really BAD !! you should all stay away from Mexico!! It's Unsafe !! Now we will Let ya all know when and IF it gets safe anytime in the next 5 or 6 years !!! We don't mind Cus we Have guns LOL