Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2012, 08:26   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Mexico...a Changing Place

Here is a very recent story of "Halcyon", a Formosa 51 which with the suspicious help of the locals, went up on the rocks. We hear of the drug cartel in resort towns recently. You can draw your own conclusions from this story.
I don't know why but our local sailing magazine, "Latitude 38" keeps trying to convince it's reader how safe Mexico is. Although we have crime state side, we don't have this sort of thing going on.

The Loss of Halcyon |
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 11:37   #2

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
That was horrible to read. Makes me want to start a business boat sitting. Of course I can only be one place at a time.
Old 24-08-2012, 12:07   #3

Boat: Pearson 281
Re: Mexico...a Changing Place

A tough read but grateful for the posting. My sympathies to those who lost their home. Communication was everything in the owners getting out. Who knows really, but it was very smart/good instincts to ere on the side of caution and not waste a moment.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 12:34   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Here is a very recent story of "Halcyon", a Formosa 51 which with the suspicious help of the locals, went up on the rocks. We hear of the drug cartel in resort towns recently. You can draw your own conclusions from this story.
I don't know why but our local sailing magazine, "Latitude 38" keeps trying to convince it's reader how safe Mexico is. Although we have crime state side, we don't have this sort of thing going on.

The Loss of Halcyon |
That sux!
Latitude 38 does a decent job in downplaying the extremist views of Mexico falling apart, but at times they just end up sounding like naive cheerleaders. Pacific Mexico is a great cruising ground, but it clearly isn't without its risks.
Old 24-08-2012, 12:51   #5

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Very touching story. Zihuatenejo was one of the most beautiful, authenthic Mexican seaside towns in the entire country. Unfortunately, once the narcos arrived the beauty and innocence was lost forever. The last time I was in Zihua, we sat in a beautiful patio under a veranda at the sea's edge. Behind us built into the side of the mountain was the Winter residence of the police chief of Mexico City. It was an exact replica of the Parthenon in Greece and, over twenty years ago,was reported to have cost several million dollars. The police chief of DF had a reported income of $12,000 US per year. When we talked to the locals, they said that everything changed in their little town once "el palacio" was built. At the time, we were traveling south by car into the Yucatan to visit the many archeological sites of the Maya and and to do some fishing for Peacock Bass and some duck hunting for the famous whistling ducks,"pichichis" common to that area. Every twenty miles along the coastal highway there were checkpoints patrolled by the Federales where they would stop your car, search its contents and then give you permission to continue. We were told by them they were looking for drugs. The oldest in the group were no more than in their early twenties and aside from their uniforms were quiet,almost childlike in behaviour. They, however, brandished automatic rifles and wore a serious demeanor when they spoke to you. The irony of the checkpoint was that even if it were run seriously where no bribes were taken,it was a short jog offroad into the foothills to avoid the checkpoint. It, like many things in Mexico, made no sense. The sadness of this story is in the loss of innocence of a warm, friendly country and its people and the once accepted safety of travelling freely throughout the country whether by land or sea. Celestial Sailor is exactly correct when he mentions the absurdity of certain cruising sites and their continued refusal to accept the new reality. As I have said many times in previous posts, the world is changing and whether we travel by land or sea, we must vote with our dollars and avoid those areas of the world were safety and civilization as we once knew it is disappearing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 13:53   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Truly sad to read.

Sad too, that a few bad people can ruin things for a multitude of others.
Old 24-08-2012, 14:21   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

is very sad--i was spozed to go to zihuat, as my crew for canal is living there at present---he tried to convince me the place is good for hiding from hurrycames--but i dont believe that--this year i saw what they are going thru-- formosa 51 is too heavy for a 1500 pound mooring with 3/8 chain-- it should have much more weight and half inch chain.
my 41 formosa dragged a 2840 pound mooring with half inch chain in san diego-- leaving a formosa 51 or force 50 or anything even same size as mine on a light mooring like that is not the best plan.

what happened as for looting--that is mexico and always has been--as long a si have been in sd-and even longer, if the tales are to be believed. boat on beach=fair game. many have learned that-
-i have a tendency this time, to believe the mooring was 1/4 size it should have been for that size boat in these waters, and the chain was too light--- i dont see the boat being sawed off the mooring with a saw--i can see it breaking due to the strong winds and conditions in the area as i was advised happened by friends who live in zihuat and can see the anchorage from their house.
is difficult to leave a boat and go elsewhere--especially in storming conditions and named storm seasons. but--realistically, that mooring and the chain were way too light for that boat. the rest happens. if you are not here to watch your stuff, you are considered wealthy and fair game---sad thing.

this loss of innocence has been ongoing many years---during my tenure in san diego i watched it worsen. there are still many awesome places--but do not leave your boat in a danger zone such as on a dangerous mooring in a questionably safe location and leave country -- please make sure your boats are properly stowed when you go away for any reason.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 14:46   #8

Indeed get the hell outta there. I like the Buddah note.
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 15:01   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

most of the people here in mexico are decent ethical and friendly folks. the problems come into play when the boat owner goes away. this is and has been a problem in mexico for decades--is nothing new. people here in mexico continue to make very tiny wages.
we come in , in our boats and with our stuff and things and look for stuff the locals never heard of --- we are most wealthy to them. we have insurance for when our boats go to rocks from an undersized mooring......halcyon was a beautiful boat--would probably have been a decent buy back for rebuild.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 16:31   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im with Zee on this one ! we drug a mooring with a 42 ft boat in zee town 12 yrs ago when we moving to Louisiana!! We unhooked from it dropped our old danforth and 7 times scope, and rode it out just fine !! no way would I use any mooring in Mexico, who knows whats down there for a weight?? how old is the chain ect!! if ya can anchor do it !! or get a marina for the time your gonna be gone !! just my 2 cents
Old 24-08-2012, 17:04   #11

Am I the only one thinking-

Leave your boat unattended in a foreign country in a known bad area on a new and way to small mooring. What did the guy think was going to happen?
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 17:12   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

The is no innocence anywhere anymore. You should also avoid the USA for its violence.19 people shot in overnight shootings across Chicago - chicagotribune.com
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 17:25   #13

Boat: CT54

It is always so sad to hear of the loss of a boat but I agree that there is no way a boat should be left on a strange mooring or for that matter on anchor in Mexico or anywhere else for that matter especially during hurricane season in a area that gets many large storm systems coming through during the summer. I do feel bad that the owners lost there boat but I am really not sure what they could have been thinking? If this was my boat I would have begged or borrowed the money but that boat would have been in a marina with security and I would be saying my prayers that she would be safe from hurricanes. I just don't get it.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 17:28   #14

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
The is no innocence anywhere anymore. You should also avoid the USA for its violence.19 people shot in overnight shootings across Chicago - chicagotribune.com
You don't have to completely avoid the US. You just have to establish residency inside a tiny little bubble and pretend the rest of the country doesn't exist
Old 24-08-2012, 18:20   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee it's a good thing that Chicago is not a Big Sailing destination !! And I wonder if any of these shootings were in a Marina ??? not to many I would guess !! Just sayin I don't really go to the part of Chi- Town that has shooting problems !! Or any other City that has shootings !!LOL