Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 08:09   #526
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Merged Threads: HMS Bounty

I think that speculation and conspiracy theories are starting to run amok.

The only things I'm willing to accept is that the decision to leave was poor as supported by reports of what it was like on the ship. And that they really were taking on water that they couldn't pump out based on the fact the ship really did sink (unlike a lot of other stories about sinking ships/boats).

Other than that it is just sad.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:46   #527

Boat: Tartan 34C

Second worst command decision of 2012, IMO. #1 goes to the skipper of Low Speed Chase in the Full Crew Farallones Race, which cost 5 lives trying to shave a few seconds and be bad-ass.

BTW, the Weather Channel "special" was a big yawn. Not much new, a stretched out version of the CG video.

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:55   #528

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I never read posts where they have an inability or lack of respect to capitalize letters, pop in punctuation, and write at a level above a kindergarten dropout.
+1,000,000!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:25   #529

Yes, the TWC doc was underwhelming. The one thing I got from it was that, based on crew comments, the Captain had made it through several storms on Bounty. It is not difficult to imagine a complacency which led him to believe he could do it again. After all, so much of recurrent training is about the hazards of complacency. Was the Captain accomodated to that level of risk?

I do not mean to speculate however accident investigation is a concern of mine. Most fatal accidents result from a cascading chain of incidents of which I find highly informative on professional and casual levels.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:27   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+1,000,000!
British or American?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:08   #531

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
British or American?
It doesn't matter. Let it be at least slightly coherent and literate. In my opinion, it is just an insult to people who might want to read your post, to not even bother trying to spell or punctuate.

There is not very much difference between American English and British English, at least in their "standard" forms, that is, what you are likely to hear television announcers use. It is less than the difference between German spoken in two typical German villages 5km apart.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17   #532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It doesn't matter. Let it be at least slightly coherent and literate. In my opinion, it is just an insult to people who might want to read your post, to not even bother trying to spell or punctuate.

There is not very much difference between American English and British English, at least in their "standard" forms, that is, what you are likely to hear television announcers use. It is less than the difference between German spoken in two typical German villages 5km apart.
Oh I agree with all that. I deplore improper grammar and punctuation. I can marginally allow for misspellings. What's more, one does not even need spell check, which I never use. One can always open a 2nd tab to simply type in the word they don't know how to spell. I will add 'lazy' to your "insult" label.

Re: British Vs American, I meant the differing numbering systems.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:13   #533
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
One can always open a 2nd tab to simply type in the word they don't know how to spell. I
As a person with dyslexia I can assure you that I don't know when I am making a spelling mistake. If I did I wouldn't need spell check. It's a lack of understanding that people think it is laziness. It's not, its an inability to spell.

In my case it's almost a disability and I'm going the government for a Pension! $100 per week and a blonde to check my spelling.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:16   #534
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
In my case it's almost a disability and I'm going the government for a Pension! $100 per week and a blonde to check my spelling.
You know of course that you can only have 1 of those!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:33   #535
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I'll take the money.

Can we get back to the Bounty and the Bermuda Triangle Theory that the Captain was captured by a space ship commanded by John F Kennedy?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 14:35   #536

Some of the prelim data show a "significant" flooding of the boat. What is unknown is why since the boat had a virtually rebuilt hull. However, one culprit might be the Boothbay Harbor yard which worked on the bounty over the years. The shipyard in question has been successfully sued by the owners of Shenandoah for defective workmanship that contributed to the vessel's hull opening up. Perhaps the same quality of workmanship was applied to the Bounty? Here is a link to the lawsuit and the court's findings:http://pacer.mad.uscourts.gov/dc/cgi...ay%20order.pdf
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 16:05   #537

Boat: Tartan 34C

"empty fastening holes were discovered beneath removed bungs."

Fake hull plank fasteners? Those guys at Boothbay should be hung from the yardarm.

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 06:31   #538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
"empty fastening holes were discovered beneath removed bungs."

Fake hull plank fasteners? Those guys at Boothbay should be hung from the yardarm.

John
Agree, and if the same workmanship was applied to the bounty, then it would not be surprising to see the hull eventually open up in rough seas. Especially since the hull was "totally rebuilt" several years ago at the same yard. Water pressure would keep the planks fairly tight against the hull till such time as the ship really began to work in a seaway. Hope they eventually raise the ship and the coast guard gives it a thorough inspection. I would guess at the outcome of such investigation.

The shipyard use to be called Samples, and was a great yard. Taken over by a rather young crowd that evidently did not practice the professionalism of bygone eras, as witnessed by the lawsuit findings. Wooden boats require sober dedication to work, not drinking beers and smoking dope as i have personally seen in some yards nowadays.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:13   #539

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Sunk: The Incredible Truth About the 'Bounty,' a Ship That Never Should Have Sailed | Outdoor Adventure | OutsideOnline.com

An interesting summary of the Bounty's last voyage.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:40   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
thanks for the lead. interesting and well written account. seems a lot of these wooden dream ships are either sinking or being laid up(which is death to a wooden ship). the world moves onwards. even trying to maintain some of the old war ships of the 40s is becoming unaffordable. suspect they will eventually have to encase the Missouri on a cement bed before it sinks in pearl harbor. basic law of systems science(entropy): the cost of maintaining a system is in geometric proportion to its age. at some point the past becomes unaffordable: boats, mansions, airplanes, people, and so on.

Tags
crew, hurricane