Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 10:04   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Mangroves Manhandled by a Yacht Show

Mangroves Manhandled by a Yacht Show
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:34   #2

Re: Mangroves Manhandled by a Yacht Show

Anyone who has lived in Florida knows, real estate developers and condo commandos hate mangrove forests as much as they hate anchored and cruising boaters.

They won't be happy until both are gone from Florida.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:12   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Z,
That's not a picture of the Marine Stadium in Miami. It looks likes the Miami River or maybe the New River in Ft. Lauderdale. However, it seems that events like these worldwide are unstoppable. Enjoy nature while it exists . . . and the Sheeple go ooooooooh, ahhhhhhhhh, oooooooooooh, ahhhhhhhhhh . . . while they're being entertained.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:08   #4

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

... “Boaters are some of the original conservationists,” ...

May be true, but in general this statement is someone's round-the-bush way of saying boaters are conservationists ... which is a bunch of BS.

Hunters, boaters, naturalists, farmers, mountain-climbers, mountain-men, Native Indians ... and on and on ... and on ... and on ... are some of the original conservationists.

But for the most part I say the vast majority of all these groups are as blind-minded about conservation, how the natural world works(should work), and nearly as willing to waste natural resources with nary a thought of their actions as the Carnegies and Rockefellers.

This is a prime "PRIME" example of the absolute hypocracy(sp) used in the search for the real interests of mankind(or womankind) ... money ... it's always money.

No one here will take responsibility for the damage that removing portions of the last remaining less than 20% of the mangroves in this area that protect the very soil they plant their $@#&%#$&^@$%# feet on, and IF the removal of this mangrove leads to intense erosion in the next hurricane, the state or city will probably ask for some federal grants to replace the mangroves ... with MY MONEY.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:19   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Here is what actually happened. There were a few mangroves mixed with other less desirable plants along a section of the Marine Stadium shoreline. A contractor working for the City of Miami cut them down. The city has already agreed to a remediation plan that will replant all the lost mangroves and a lot more.

The boat show had nothing to do with it.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:18   #6

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Here is what actually happened. There were a few mangroves mixed with other less desirable plants along a section of the Marine Stadium shoreline. A contractor working for the City of Miami cut them down. The city has already agreed to a remediation plan that will replant all the lost mangroves and a lot more.

The boat show had nothing to do with it.
Parks---
I doubt that the contractor would have been there if it weren't for the relocation of the boat show. You're on the scene and I'm not, so you may be right. But I don't think so.
Mike
Old 09-07-2015, 15:08   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mike,
You are correct. If it wasn't for the boat show moving there, the city wouldn't be cleaning up that mess. The story seemed to imply that the boat show had ordered the cutting and that is not the case. I believe it was an accident by someone on the construction crew who just didn't know any better. At any rate there will be more mangrove trees there when the project is finished than there were before.

The Village of Key Biscayne is putting out a lot of false or exaggerated information in an effort to kill the boat show. They have hired a public relations firm to help them.

The other thing they are saying is that the pilings for the temporary docks will kill a lot of sea grass. That's either a deliberate lie or they didn't bother to go look. I've dived in there. There is very little sea life on the bottom. It's muck. There is some sea grass in the shallows near shore but the boat show plans to bridge over it. No pilings will be driven in sea grass.

This is going to be a great location for the boat show and the City of Miami is going to have a nice public park the rest of the year.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:23   #8

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

The folks in the area are indeed incensed with the boat show moving. I don't really blame them, but they probably wouldn't like it if the City of Miami reopened the stadium for it's original purposes, such as boat races, ski shows, etc.
I like to anchor there while waiting for weather. Enjoy the sculling team practices, and occasional outings by racing catamarans. Hope that doesn't change. Maybe they'll add some dinghy facilities lol.
Old 11-07-2015, 18:37   #9

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I love that anchorage... what an incredible view of downtown. I would hate to lose that anchorage - protected, great holding, good wind, easy access to the ocean. Someone needs to open a bar/restaurant on that little island.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 20:01   #10

is it true what the article says, that new mangroves take years to grow
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:59   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think red mangrove grows pretty fast. That's the one that grows in the water. I think black mangrove is slower to grow. There was an article in the Miami Herald a few days ago that talked about how it happened. There was a lot of Brazilian Pepper and Australian Pine growing there. Both are considered invasive species. There were a few mangroves mixed in. The contractor was told to remove the invasive plants and he screwed up.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:30   #12

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Here's a link to the article:
City of Miami blames contractor in Marine Stadium mangrove destruction | Miami Herald Miami Herald

By David Smiley
dsmiley@MiamiHerald.com

A contractor clearing land on Virginia Key to make way for the Miami International Boat Show is responsible for the illegal removal of protected mangroves, Miami administrators said Thursday.
Environmental regulators discovered the blunder back in May after coming upon a pile of trees chopped down immediately west of the Miami Marine Stadium. Most of the trees were invasive species, but amid the Australian pines and Brazilian peppers were black and red mangroves, which provide valuable protection from erosion and shelter for young fish and nesting birds.
The tree removals outraged Miami residents and played right into the hands of critics from neighboring Key Biscayne that the Boat Show’s plans to exhibit hundreds of vessels on the stadium grounds will damage an environmentally sensitive area. It also incensed some Miami commissioners, who have yet to receive a comprehensive answer as to how the city made such a damaging mistake.
“How can the city of Miami allow that to happen?” Commissioner Frank Carollo almost shouted Thursday during a city commission meeting.
Deputy City Manager Alice Bravo said the city is still trying to answer that question.
“Our contractor was instructed to remove exotic tree species out there. Amongst those there were mangroves,” Bravo told Carollo. “The contractor mistakenly removed mangroves among the species removed. The contractor has agreed to take responsibility for his actions.”
Bravo told a reporter later that two contractors had been working on the site, Metro Express and JB Builders, and that the city doesn’t yet know which company cut down the trees. She also said that only a small portion of the 330 feet of brush cut down was comprised of mangroves.
Efforts to reach the two companies after Bravo provided their names Thursday evening were unsuccessful.
The city is currently working with the county to correct the illegal removal of mangroves. Earlier this month, Miami-Dade’s director of the Division of Environmental Resources Management sent the city a cease-and-desist order from any further unauthorized work and gave the city one month to enter into a consent agreement.
City officials met Wednesday with environmental regulators, and said they would consider replanting mangroves on Virginia Key in planters. A summary of the meeting provided by environmental officer JoAnne Clingerman states that the city is talking about a settlement and entering into a consent agreement in the next 10 days.
Coming to terms with the county may not be enough for city commissioners, who want to know how the mangroves were cut and why the city didn’t stop it. Carollo, who was livid, said it’s ridiculous that the city hasn’t been able to answer those questions yet. City Attorney Victoria Méndez said there are liability issues that need to be worked out, but Carollo wanted none of it.
“I think it’s insulting that the city of Miami does this and there’s no response and you want to give some kind of report in September after the summer?” he said. “That’s just unacceptable.”
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:18   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

"The tree removals outraged Miami residents and played right into the hands of critics from neighboring Key Biscayne"

That's kinda funny coming from an Island that is home to many, many, mega yacht owners. Do you have any idea of just the chemical run off alone that is generated by these million dollar homes yards and landscaping? The whole Island of Key Biscayne was a mangrove swamp at one time looking much like Elliott Key to the south does now. I certainly understand the importance of the environment as well as the next guy. But this is draw bridge mentality. The same mentality seen in the Keys for the past 40 years. The mangroves removed can grow back. What won't happen is the residents of Miami and Key Biscayne tearing down their condos, mansions, and concrete sea walls and donating the land to let nature reclaim the area. Talking the talk is a lot different than walking the walk.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:30   #14

Boat: Various

There was a comment above about returning the Stadium to it's original use. While that isn't the plan, there is definitely a plan to use it for more than just boat shows.

The complaints don't surprise me. I'm sure if the Fort Lauderdale show suddenly moved somewhere else the people there would complain. We live on the water, off Las Olas, and we just know that once a year, getting in an out will be a pain, but we also recognize the economic benefit to the city. Actually during the show, we didn't get in the car. If we wanted to go out, we did it by boat.

I've seen the same fight over golf tournaments. They terribly inconvenience the residents of the club.

I don't know how this location will work out. However, I do know the Miami show needs a bit of a boost. The hopes are this will be it. There are people who stopped coming to Miami due to the traffic and the multiple locations. While there will still be two locations this year, they are segregated as power vs. sail. The Palm Beach show has provided some formidable competition. I really don't know how the road in is going to handle the traffic.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 14:25   #15

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
"The tree removals outraged Miami residents and played right into the hands of critics from neighboring Key Biscayne"

That's kinda funny coming from an Island that is home to many, many, mega yacht owners. Do you have any idea of just the chemical run off alone that is generated by these million dollar homes yards and landscaping? The whole Island of Key Biscayne was a mangrove swamp at one time looking much like Elliott Key to the south does now. I certainly understand the importance of the environment as well as the next guy. But this is draw bridge mentality. The same mentality seen in the Keys for the past 40 years. The mangroves removed can grow back. What won't happen is the residents of Miami and Key Biscayne tearing down their condos, mansions, and concrete sea walls and donating the land to let nature reclaim the area. Talking the talk is a lot different than walking the walk.
Thank you Tellie,

I tried several times to write a response along these lines and could not find the words to express myself well.

You nailed it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht