Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2023, 08:54   #16

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Grieving

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Same here.

Perfect boat for us. Lots of trips to Desolation Sound after 4 years of Mexico cruising.
Wife now is suffering from dimensia and doesn't know who I am.
Boat sits at the dock in our back yard.

senormechanico, the quote Montanan offered from Helen Keller is particularly meaningful. You have to carry those memories for both your wife and yourself now. I went through that with my mom. Best wishes to you. Hope you will sail again one day.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:59   #17

Montanan, Helen Keller showed us a wisdom that often eludes us. Thanks for this reminder. Sailing has truly become a part of me. I keep reminding my wife that we can and should revel in the memories and experiences sailing has given us. As we talk about each event we are still there…still enjoying, still loving each one.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:06   #18

CaptTom, thanks for your thoughts. Too true about the two best days for a sailor. Like a lot of sailors my age I was set on this life after reading Dove by Robin Graham. My first time sailing by sit on top board coat across the Chesapeake Bay near the Bay Bridge I was as excited as if I had sailed Dove to Tahiti. Graham eventually left sailing for a mountain cabin in the woods. That was his choice. I haven’t made that choice, just accepted that my time has come.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
A moving letter, Tayana 42, and good on you for sharing this, too. I felt particularly moved by the grandchildren and the boat-centered experiences, perhaps because my own path was to the South Seas, and away from them.

You'll be welcome here on CF, boatless. Stay as long as it feels worthwhile. Good health and all the best to you and your good lady for the future.

Ann

Ann, I can’t begin to express how much your kindness, wisdom and openness has meant to me over the years. You and Jim have been shining examples of the community of sailors helping one another and sharing your knowledge and experience. Beyond that, Ann, you have offered people such kind, sympathetic and wise council about their personal troubles too. Thanks to you and Jim. Fair wind and following seas.
Old 02-03-2023, 18:40   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you so very much for the kind words, T42. Much appreciated by both of us.

And a big congratulations to you to manage to transition away at the right time, too. I know it's not easy. And the memories to treasure are there at a moment's reflection.

Fair winds, right back at you.

Ann
Old 03-03-2023, 07:07   #21

Boat: Beneteau 323

This struck a real chord with me, as at 76 I keep wondering how long I can keep sailing. I have no plans to stop now, but, alas, the admiral is no longer the young lass on the foredeck but more of a passenger, and I singlehand more than ever. Keep savoring your experiences and memories and enjoying whatever you choose, at sea or on shore.
tweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:20   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweitz View Post
This struck a real chord with me, as at 76 I keep wondering how long I can keep sailing. I have no plans to stop now, but, alas, the admiral is no longer the young lass on the foredeck but more of a passenger, and I singlehand more than ever. Keep savoring your experiences and memories and enjoying whatever you choose, at sea or on shore.

Thanks tweitz. I guess we will all have to deal with this stage at some point. Clearly, some people are able to continue sailing well into their 90s. It didn’t work that way for me and my wife but I hope it will for you.
Old 07-03-2023, 19:49   #23

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Sorry to hear the news. Glad you take away so many great memories. I'm sure the new owners will appreciate the work and care you put into B'Shert.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 21:24   #24

Thanks Scubaseas. Yes, great memories that we will carry with us whatever comes next for us. Time for new owners to make great memories for themselves on this great boat.
Old 07-03-2023, 21:52   #25

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Beautifully written! That’s the love of sailing my wife and I live for…….. enjoy the next chapter!
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote