Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 16:59   #2116

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
More likely land subsidence, but who's to argue?

Who am I kidding. I will...
Quote:
Tangier Island, like most of the off-shore islands in the Chesapeake Bay, is eroding and subsiding. There used to be a lot more islands in the Chesapeake Bay, and the ones that remain were once much larger than they are today. The University of Maryland’s Laboratory for Coastal Research found that at least 13 islands in Chesapeake Bay have disappeared entirely since the region was first described and mapped by Europeans. Tangier Island is very flat and low-lying, forcing its residents to live mostly on three sandy ridges that rise 1 or 2 yards above mean sea-level.
That link was about more than just Tangier Island...
There will be dozens of Miamis and thousands of Tangiers. “The Outer Banks, the Delmarva Peninsula, Long Island, the Jersey Shore — they’re in the same boat,” Schulte said. “It’s going to just take a little longer for them to get to where Tangier is now.”
A recent study, commissioned by the Risky Business Project, an initiative led by Henry Paulson, Michael Bloomberg and the hedge-fund billionaire and philanthropist Tom Steyer, concluded that as much as a half-trillion dollars’ worth of coastal property in the United States could be under water by the end of the century. And that figure doesn’t include the cost of further encroachments by flooding.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 17:11   #2117

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
That link was about more than just Tangier Island...
There will be dozens of Miamis and thousands of Tangiers. “The Outer Banks, the Delmarva Peninsula, Long Island, the Jersey Shore — they’re in the same boat,” Schulte said. “It’s going to just take a little longer for them to get to where Tangier is now.”
A recent study, commissioned by the Risky Business Project, an initiative led by Henry Paulson, Michael Bloomberg and the hedge-fund billionaire and philanthropist Tom Steyer, concluded that as much as a half-trillion dollars’ worth of coastal property in the United States could be under water by the end of the century. And that figure doesn’t include the cost of further encroachments by flooding.
They can say what they like. It's still BS to place the blame at the feet of MMGW. The facts are land rises and falls due to "tatonic plate movement" and subduction; falls due to subsidence caused by ground water over extraction, land use and the literal weight of development; and "sinks" due to a rising sea level that, for the record, hasn't not been rising at any time during the present inter glacial period. Anything superimposed on top of all this as a result of human induced global warming is - worst case scenario - just hastening the inevitable outcome.

And no need to take my word for it, read what Judith Curry has to say...

Quote:
So, what to make of all this?

Sea level rise is the main ‘danger’ from human caused climate change (any increase in extreme weather events is hypothesized rather demonstrated using historical data, with possible exception of heat waves in a few regions).

At a presentation that I made earlier this year to CEOs of small electric cooperatives, one participant was surprised by what I had to say about sea level rise – he hadn’t realized that there had been sea level rise prior to 1950. I.e., like ‘climate change’, all sea level rise has been sold as caused by humans.

Sea level has overall been rising for thousands of years; however, as the Kopp et al. paper points out, there have been century scale periods of lowering sea level in the recent millennia. It is not clear from my cursory reading as to whether meaningful decadal and multi-decadal variations in sea level can be discerned from their data.

The key issue is whether the sea level rise during the past 50 years reflect an acceleration in sea level rise. The IPCC figure 3.14 suggests that there is no acceleration, given the large rates of sea level rise in the first half of the 20th century. Until we have an understanding of variations in decadal and multi-decadal sea level rise, we can’t make a convincing argument as to acceleration.

With regards to coastal planning, I absolutely agree with the paper linked to above. Locations where sea level rise is a problem invariably have rates of sea level rise that are much greater than even the altimeter values of 3.2 mm/yr are caused by local geologic processes, land use, and or coastal/river engineering. Global values of sea level rise have essentially no use in coastal planning; rather they seem mainly relevant in terms of motivating ‘action’ on carbon mitigation policy.

Sea level will continue to rise, no matter what we do about CO2 emissions. We need creative solutions – one of my favorites remains the garbage solution.
https://judithcurry.com/2016/02/23/i...-accelerating/
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 17:18   #2118

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
No, the subduction comments were made in reference to some sinking South Pacific islands, where it applies. Each case is analysed for facts, not conjecture.

FYI, an island in the Maldives

Yep, problems are definitely related to sea level rise caused by MMGW
Good to see your finally admitting the experts know best.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 17:25   #2119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Good to see your finally admitting the experts know best.
I need to learn how to use [SARCASM] and [/SARCASM] in my posts
Old 07-07-2016, 17:32   #2120

Quote:
I need to learn how to use [SARCASM] and [/SARCASM] in my posts
I think it's mean't to be this one..

"Ever written anything so stupid people actually thought it was sarcasm" (nk)
Old 07-07-2016, 17:46   #2121

Quote:
I think it's mean't to be this one..

"Ever written anything so stupid people actually thought it was sarcasm" (nk)
Oh, like this:

Quote:
...Because we're putting more CO2 into the atmosphere, more of it is making its way into the ocean literally lowering the pH making the oceans more acidic. We are dissolving those organisms quite literally and so you have this sort of perfect storm, forgive the pun, of consequences for ocean acidification, decreasing oxygen, warming temperatures, record warmth that has bleached the Great Barrier Reef. Ninety percent of the Great Barrier Reef was bleached in this latest event. It's more than we've ever seen before because those waters of the Southern Ocean waters were warmer than they've ever been before. We're seeing all of these things come together in a way that gravely threatens the oceans and anything that threatens the oceans threatens all of us. Threatens all life on Earth...
This is actually a transcript from a recent interview of a very well known alarmist. Anyone care to guess who the orator is?
Old 07-07-2016, 17:47   #2122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
A recent study, commissioned by the Risky Business Project, an initiative led by Henry Paulson, Michael Bloomberg and the hedge-fund billionaire and philanthropist Tom Steyer

Yep three A-list alarmists and alarmism funders.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 17:51   #2123

Boat: Landlocked right now.

This thread is getting more and more hilarious every day! It has no substance whatsoever but at least it offers some entertainment. It's so much fun to see how you try to hit each other over the head with the club of your believes in an competition where no-one can win.

Don't mind me, I'm just watching ...
Old 07-07-2016, 18:04   #2124
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

You do have to admit...this is one of the funniest threads in a while...and it is a good distraction from work...ha ha ha
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 18:06   #2125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
This thread is getting more and more hilarious every day! It has no substance whatsoever but at least it offers some entertainment. It's so much fun to see how you try to hit each other over the head with the club of your believes in an competition where no-one can win.

Don't mind me, I'm just watching ...
Oh come on, it shouldn't be a spectator sport. The fun is in the playing.

I haven't had so much fun since the day we put glue on Fräulein Josephine's toothbrush.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 18:09   #2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
You do have to admit...this is one of the funniest threads in a while...and it is a good distraction from work...ha ha ha
You do realise that You, Reefy and Stu are who make it so funny?

And I don't think it's all laughing with you, but
Old 07-07-2016, 18:21   #2127
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Absolutely....
You don't think I'm participating in this thread for anything but laughs do you...ha ha ha...now what outrageous link or thing can I post now to have a blast....
Old 07-07-2016, 18:27   #2128

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Of course we do. And the best part is that you guys don't get the joke.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 18:30   #2129
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Of course we do. And the best part is that you guys don't get the joke.
I love ya Stu...but they still won't get it...even after we tell them...
Old 07-07-2016, 18:46   #2130

Quote:

We've got a tough crowd. No one obviously read my "maths debating fest" line - which I used a couple of times - out loud
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising