Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 11:06   #3121

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I decided not to correct the inaccuracies
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Weaves corrected my error.
?????
chala is offline   Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 11:09   #3122
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
?????
Yes is complicated... I just say yes to everything...
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 13:47   #3123

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I only corrected it because it is the MOST verifiable fact on this entire thread..

GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 13:52   #3124

SHIP OF FOOLS

https://youtu.be/vrnTKdj8Iro

Ship of Fools II: Green Arctic Expedition Frustrated by Large Quantities of Ice
An Arctic expedition designed to raise awareness of the perils of man-made climate change is being frustrated by unexpectedly large quantities of ice.

The Polar Ocean Challenge, whose aim is to circumnavigate the Arctic in a sailing boat while the summer ice-melt allows, is being led by veteran explorer David Hempleman-Adams. He justifies the expedition thus:

Permanent irreversible change in the sea ice landscape of the Arctic seems inevitable. This will / is already having global economic political, social and environmental implications. A significant change in my lifetime.

I see this possibility to circumnavigate the Arctic as one I wanted to take despite the risks associated with it in order to increase the worlds attention on the effects of Arctic climate change. There may be a possibility still to curb this progressive warming and melting in the Arctic. But even if this is not possible the next most important thing is to at the very least highlight the need to ‘Navigate the Future of the Arctic responsibly’.

Well, yes, of course, David. That’s just the kind of eco-friendly blah which will have landed your expedition sponsorship from a City of London finance firm. But what if, as the real world evidence increasingly suggests, your prognostications of climate doom are flat out wrong?

Already the expedition is around 4 to 6 weeks behind schedule having been held up in the Laptev Sea by the kind of ice which experts like Cambridge University’s Peter Wadhams – of whom more in a moment – assure us will soon disappear permanently from the Arctic in summer.

Here, for example, is an entry from their August 18 ship’s log:

Well I came up on watch this morning at 0800. ice, ice and more b****t ice.

and here

A Stamukha is an iceberg that is touching the bottom.

We had to turn round from the ice by the coast last night and find somewhere safe to moor/anchor. There were strong winds so we needed to find somewhere else to sit them out, and the answer was a stamukha.

We knew it might drift, and it did, so when it had drifted into a more dangerous situation, Ben (who was on anchor watch) woke Nikolay and we’ve moved off it to go and have a look at the ice situation just up ahead again

and here’s one from crew member Ben Edwards, who is 14 years old

We’re still running into ice, aaaagggghhhh! We’ve had patches of clear water just large enough that you can’t see the other side, just large enough that you start to think maybe we’ve seen the last of the ice, and then it looms out out of the horizon like a piece of homework that you’ve been trying to avoid doing by moving to India only to find that school exists there as well. Hmpf. We’ve put in three new tracks today each one further south than the last in the vain hope that we’d finally escape the ice by running away from it. Unfortunately it seems that ice is a vindictive substance and refuses to leave us alone.

Poor Ben. Like every other 14-year old in Christendom he has never lived in a period of global warming (it hasn’t happened for 18 years) but yet has been assured non-stop by teachers and other experts that it represents a serious threat to the planet’s future.

And given how the world’s big media organisations so love to ramp up scare stories about this non-existent problem is it any wonder?

On BBC Radio 4’s Today programme this week we heard from Cambridge professor Peter Wadhams that the Arctic is more doomed than ever before.

But apart from being something of a conspiracy theorist – he once claimed that secret agents, possibly in the pay of Big Oil, have been bumping off climate scientists, presumably because they know too much [not, it must be said, a major handicap of any alarmist climate scientist I’ve ever encountered] – he has an embarrassingly dismal track record on forecasting Arctic ice melt. Indeed, even within the climate alarmist community he is now considered such a liability that even hardcore enviro loons prefer not to be associated with him.

Yet the BBC goes on featuring him as if he were an expert whose predictions should be taken seriously.

For the record, here – courtesy of Paul Homewood – is what Arctic Sea Ice coverage currently looks like:

Note that the coverage is already pretty extensive – raising understandable questions about whether Polar Ocean Challenge is going to be able to complete its mission before the winter freeze sets in. Tony Heller, who has been following the expedition closely at Real Climate Science, says “they are taking a big risk heading into the Northwest Passage now with winter setting in. Even if they don’t encounter ice, it will be cold and the weather rough.”

Note too that summer sea ice coverage has increased and thickened quite a bit since Wadhams first started peddling his “ice free North Pole” predictions in 2007.

But the really sad thing – sad, at least in a “Death of Little Nell” way – is this: all these expeditions, like this David Hempleman-Adams one, and the doomed one a few years ago by explorer Pen Hadow is that the point they are trying to make is an utterly meaningless one.

All this nonsense you regularly hear from alarmists about the polar regions being navigable by ship for the first time because of global warming is historically and scientifically illiterate. Here, for example, is a history by the Ecotretas blog going back to the 1490s of all the various ships and explorers which have previously negotiated the North East Passage (as recently but-barely navigated by the Polar Ocean Challenge). It also looks like it was pretty toasty up there during the “Arctic Heat Wave” of 1923.

One of these days, someone’s going to get themselves hurt on one of these polar Ship of Fools expeditions. But until that day, I say: “Bring them on!” If idiots want to freeze their balls off, take City investment firms and insurance brokers for a ride, and make utter dicks of themselves for our delectation and amusement while making a mockery of current climate ‘science’, then I’d say they are performing a truly valuable public service.
Old 01-09-2016, 15:42   #3125

Quote:
SHIP OF FOOLS

https://youtu.be/vrnTKdj8Iro

An Arctic expedition designed to raise awareness of the perils of man-made climate change is being frustrated by unexpectedly large quantities of ice.

Really - you get your science from Breitbart? And you claim to love science; get serious.

The Polar Ocean has successfully navigated the Northern Sea Route and have crossed into Canadian waters and headed for Tuktoyaktuk.

jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 16:12   #3126

Boat: Landlocked right now.

The only field of science this thread covering intensively is psychology. It's amazing how much you can learn about the participants.

There the ones who point selective to data and say "Ha Ha you fools are following a cult, look at this ..." instead of asking the real important WHY not seeing the bigger picture.

And the ones who point to data and say "No we are really in trouble" without asking the real important HOW, also not seeing the bigger picture.

No one here ever is asking the real important questions, questions science is driving on but rather parroting crap found on the internet, closing his/her mind by insisting on one particular point of view.

As I said this thread would keep a lot of psychology students busy for a while.

But it is fun to read and sometimes it's fun to poke a stick in the hornets nest and run
Old 01-09-2016, 16:29   #3127

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
The only field of science this thread covering intensively is psychology. It's amazing how much you can learn about the participants.

There the ones who point selective to data and say "Ha Ha you fools are following a cult, look at this ..." instead of asking the real important WHY not seeing the bigger picture.

And the ones who point to data and say "No we are really in trouble" without asking the real important HOW, also not seeing the bigger picture.

No one here ever is asking the real important questions, questions science is driving on but rather parroting crap found on the internet, closing his/her mind by insisting on one particular point of view.

But it is fun to read and sometimes it's fun to poke a stick in the hornets nest and run
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the hornets are coming, the hornets are coming Bzzzzzzzzzz
Old 01-09-2016, 16:33   #3128

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Really - you get your science from Breitbart? And you claim to love science; get serious.

The Polar Ocean has successfully navigated the Northern Sea Route and have crossed into Canadian waters and headed for Tuktoyaktuk.

I only looked at Breitbart news site after a US female Presidential candidate spent such a long time talking about them a week ago. Its a very entertaining site with a very different perspective on life. I have to thank Hillary for letting me know about it. Some read cartoons, some read trashy novels. I read all and sundry news and none news sites.
Old 01-09-2016, 16:35   #3129
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Now wait a second here...I've dove into the Bigger picture of "Why" plenty of times. It's basic replacement theology. Mother Gia, Carbon Sins, Carbon Indulgences, Internet sites and Chat rooms to confess your sins to the high priests of the movement, Religious dogma-rules-commandments. If you thought a made up Religion of Scientology was good...this MMGW Cult blows that away because the trick is to get people into a religious Cult without them even knowing it...that's the grand prize...the Golden Calf.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 16:54   #3130
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Now wait a second here...I've dove into the Bigger picture of "Why" plenty of times. It's basic replacement theology. Mother Gia, Carbon Sins, Carbon Indulgences, Internet sites and Chat rooms to confess your sins to the high priests of the movement, Religious dogma-rules-commandments. If you thought a made up Religion of Scientology was good...this MMGW Cult blows that away because the trick is to get people into a religious Cult without them even knowing it...that's the grand prize...the Golden Calf.
And its all based on 40 year old 'Truths'.. not historical facts..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 18:06   #3131

Quote:
I only looked at Breitbart news site after a US female Presidential candidate spent such a long time talking about them a week ago. Its a very entertaining site with a very different perspective on life. I have to thank Hillary for letting me know about it. Some read cartoons, some read trashy novels. I read all and sundry news and none news sites.
Your critical thinking skills are woefully inadequate.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 20:12   #3132

Quote:

It's becoming more like stepping in a day-old meadow-muffin, given what is thereby released, but your point is taken.

Apparently the moderators' definition of entertainment has been extended to the cribbing of cretinous commentary from other befouled sites to reek anew in CF. (sorry we were watching some P.G Wodehouse tonight)

Game on, I guess.

Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 20:45   #3133

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Ironically, if global sea ice is considered as a whole, it appears that area ice extent is unrelated to global warming.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 21:03   #3134

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Your critical thinking skills are woefully inadequate.
I agree. How silly of me. Of course if I was thinking critically I wouldn't even listen to what a politician had to say. But it is Hillary's fault. Spending all that time promoting Breitbart.
Old 01-09-2016, 21:09   #3135

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I agree. How silly of me. Of course if I was thinking critically I wouldn't even listen to what a politician had to say. But it is Hillary's fault. Spending all that time promoting Breitbart.
Didn't take you long to get back to your political cockiness. Do yourself a favor. Go buy that "perfect fit" catamaran and go sailing and mellow out some.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising