Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2011, 09:23   #16

Re: Danish Yacht taken by Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
He hasn't posted anything except a link to a Fox News story, despite his claims to some sort of ties to the intelligence community.
Exactly, he has only posted a link to Fox News as yet but states he is trying to get info from contacts he has in the counter intel community and I think he should not do that and simply post links to news articles. To me and to the intel community, I'm sure they will agree, any info derived from 'friends' in the counter intel community should not be passed on(to anyone let alone a public forum). Just a prudent thing to do at this point.
ude123 is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 09:24   #17

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta View Post
Any source from above quote...First I've heard of it.
Do you specifically mean the direct threats to Americans?

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 09:26   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Much more detail from BBC here
avb3 is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 09:27   #19
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ude123 View Post
The pirates have sat-phones, you don't think they have the internet? Loose lips......
Do you think they hang out on Cruiser's Forum?

Thank's for your info RickD.
RTB is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 09:29   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i think we dont need to argue this point...i think those who are in the know as it were will be discreet and hopefully there wont be any glitches in this-i hope there is a rescue effected. is a duh that the somalians have internets--look at the quest fiasco-- advertised for days/weeks in advance of their arrival and their intent. did/do these folks have a blog?? .i feel deeply that blogs verbalizing intentions and sail plans may be a bad thing in certain areas of this world. i think we under are their abilities as far as technical abilities. we need to presume these pirates have the latest in developments and electronix to figger out who to take.
zeehag is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 09:29   #21

Fox News Channel and CNN reported it sometime last week, I don't recall the date or time. However, it was stated that a phone interview with a pirate was involved and he specifically threatened that "All Americans found" would be "killed" from now on.

There are several news articles where all of the current hostages are being threatened if countries "push the pirates too far".

Sorry, don't have the exact quotes on the above, going from memory from last week and the week before.

RickD is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 09:31   #22

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Let's hope the Danes have a better outcome than we did last week. I am a bit worried that the Danes are in just about as much trouble than the americans. It was not too many years ago that the Danes affirmed thier belief in freedom of speech when they allowed publication of cartoons depicting Mohammad, which really pissed off the Muslim world.

All this does make one a little nostalgic for Battleship diplomacy. It used to be that when this type of thing was going on a country could park a couple of battleships in a local harbor to send a message. The sight of a couple of boats with 9 14-16 inch guns and 20 or more 5 inchers was a lot more impressive than a modern warship with 1 5 inch gun on the bow. Such a sight often inspired the locals to take care of the problem themselves without even a shot being fired.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 09:33   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ude123 View Post
Exactly, he has only posted a link to Fox News as yet but states he is trying to get info from contacts he has in the counter intel community and I think he should not do that and simply post links to news articles. To me and to the intel community, I'm sure they will agree, any info derived from 'friends' in the counter intel community should not be passed on(to anyone let alone a public forum). Just a prudent thing to do at this point.
Just a quick note about this, since it concerns people.

Information received from the "intel community" is ROUTINELY passed on to our families. Specifically unclassified, non-sensitive information is always passed on to families regarding terrorism threats and how to "be careful". My family has had more than one briefing on foreign travel (routine), as well as local threats.

Why? Because the more eyes we have out there reporting the out-of-place things, the better. Sometimes I wonder how folks think we stop terrorism plots....

RickD is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 09:34   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Do you think they hang out on Cruiser's Forum?

Thank's for your info RickD.

They don't have to hang out on CF, they just need to know how to google to find this thread(or any info posted on the internet).
Old 28-02-2011, 09:34   #25

Boat: Baba 35

Damn.

Happy to hear at least that the children and not infants but in their teens.
I wish them the best and hope this ends well.
Patient is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 09:38   #26

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

It's interesting that some suggest the area too big for navies to locate the small skiffs yet others suggest that the pirates may see a blog that says someone is making a crossing and they are able to go right out and pin point the yacht's location in the same vast area.
Can't even stand to think about the kids right now.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 09:38   #27

Boat: mt34dt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
Do you specifically mean the direct threats to Americans?
Yea, I understand that Americans were killed but I haven't seen anything that they killed them only because they were Americans. I though money was their goal, but if they have claimed to be attacking and killing Americans then we have every right to open up on them, which we seem not to be doing. The harboring terrorist thing--"we will hunt you down".
zeta is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 09:39   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
Just a quick note about this, since it concerns people.

Information received from the "intel community" is ROUTINELY passed on to our families. Specifically unclassified, non-sensitive information is always passed on to families regarding terrorism threats and how to "be careful". My family has had more than one briefing on foreign travel (routine), as well as local threats.

Why? Because the more eyes we have out there reporting the out-of-place things, the better. Sometimes I wonder how folks think we stop terrorism plots....
Rick, I have no problem with unclassified, non-sensitive information but you referred to getting coordinates, etc. from your friends. I don't know what at this point in this piracy act would not be sensitive except for the basics. I understand your thoughts. I was simply trying to avoid any non public information from being reported here. Seems prudent. Obviously you are a upstanding citizen and all around good guy, I meant not to disparage you in any way shape or form.
Old 28-02-2011, 09:47   #29

Quote:
Yea, I understand that Americans were killed but I haven't seen anything that they killed them only because they were Americans. I though money was their goal, but if they have claimed to be attacking and killing Americans then we have every right to open up on them, which we seem not to be doing. The harboring terrorist thing--"we will hunt you down".
They weren't. I believe you misunderstood the message, or took it out of context.

After the four Americans were killed, the "phone interview" thing took place where the interviewee was a "pirate" who made the statements I said above. I am only reporting what the news reported.

RickD is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 09:48   #30

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
I saw a report after the American incident last week where a pirate leader stated that from now on Americans would be killed outright. This was in response to the death and capture of the pirates at the hand of the US Navy last week. He did not say it was why the people on the Quest were killed.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
yacht