Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2011, 18:48   #196
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake , Miami )

For those who are saying give it up, or that this will negatively affect the anchoring situation in FL - what do you think is happening now? Wealthy landowners are still trying to force this issue. You simply aren't paying attention.
I was one of those involved in a small way in the anchoring issue in FL a few years ago. I got involved while anchoring in Melbourne - was approached by the local water cop and asked to move on. The subsequent interview with the mayor and the article that came from it embarrassed the city so badly (Southwinds Sailing, June 2007, page 33, it's a downloadable pdf) that a water cop actually came up to friends of mine anchored there shortly after it appeared and after greeting them, told them - "We don't enforce any anchoring ordinances here".
So for those of you who don't have the stomach to stand up for your rights with what is going on in Miami Beach, that's fine. Just don't sit here and tell me it can't work - I happen to know better.
Old 14-06-2011, 18:54   #197
cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

Jeff, I've anchored in Belle Isle many times. Some issues there however - strong current, plus the dinghy dockage down the creek at the Publix has seen two cruisers I'm aware of lose either their motor from their dinghy - it was cut off with a sawzall - or the theft of an Australian cruising friend's boston whaler. I'm sure there are others, those are the ones I'm aware of.
What I like about Sunset Lake is that there is no current and very little traffic. Belle Isle can get fairly busy, especially when waiting for a Bahamas weather window.
There is also a vacant spot of public land at the end of a street several hundred yards south of Karlton's place where, with a bit of endeavour, one can get ashore.
Given the choice, I'll choose Sunset every time.
Old 14-06-2011, 19:03   #198
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
Given the choice, I'll choose Sunset every time.
Perhaps it's been a while since you anchored in the Belle Isle area. The best dinghy dock to use is the one at the Police Station. It even has potable water for filling jugs. Needless to say, I haven't heard of any issues with dinghy theft while tied up at the Police Station.

Also, talking your dinghy to the Police Station puts you much closer to a newer, nicer Publix just north of the Police Station. That older place to leave your dinghy down the Collins Canal is a nasty, rocky place to tie up. When we were there and showed the new Publix to other people in the anchorage, they were surprised that they didn't know about it. They obviously hadn't looked in ActiveCaptain!
Old 14-06-2011, 19:20   #199
cruiser

I had heard about the police station tie up but hadn't met anyone who had used it. Worth knowing about, thank you.
otoh, maybe I shouldn't be too close to the Miami Beach police until the chief settles down!
Old 14-06-2011, 19:25   #200
cruiser

Quote:
For those who are saying give it up, or that this will negatively affect the anchoring situation in FL - what do you think is happening now? Wealthy landowners are still trying to force this issue. You simply aren't paying attention.
Further to that comment, since I can't now edit the original - if we give in on this one, we encourage others to do the same. One of Karlton's companies is called Homeowners' Privacy Rights, (Homeowners Privacy Rights, Miami Beach, FL), it's run out of his office. I couldn't find any details on it, but the name runs shivers up my spine when it comes to our issues about anchoring.
Give this man an inch (mm for we Canucks), and he'll take the whole kilometer. We need to stop him now, I don't believe we can give him a victory here.
Old 14-06-2011, 20:05   #201

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
I put that in myself almost 4 months ago. The details for the anchorage mention the issue and the provide the local telephone number for the Miami Beach Police Department. The situation at Sunset Lake isn't new. There are 3 documented cases of harassment that I know about. There are probably many more that have happened. An ActiveCaptain newsletter about 4 weeks ago mentioned the issue and the specific anchorage. The newsletter going out tonight/tomorrow talks about the July 4th anchoring party.
Sorry for not having checked Active Captain before posting. I should have known you were on top of the situation. Since we have not visited this area, I did not realize this harassment has been going on for so long.
Old 15-06-2011, 09:39   #202
cruiser

Just received a phone call from Miami Beach. I can't reveal who called with this information, but it's well up in the hierarchy.
Karlton has been cited in the past by the local code officer for his pranks with loud music and spotlights. Any more of this foolishness, another call from his neighbours, and it looks like he'll be going to court to explain.
He's also been cautioned by the City Attorney to back off - that he's looking for, and will get - trouble from the City.
His buddy whose campaign I believe he financed, Commissioner Tobin, is no longer in his camp. To quote my source, "Fred has a way of driving people away from him".
Uh, yes, we've noticed that.
The police department has been put on notice, informally, that responding to Karlton's calls about anchoring is not on. While that doesn't guarantee it won't happen again, the word is out that City Hall will act if it happens again. To put it plainly, certain individuals in City Hall are apparently not happy with their Chief. I've been told not to expect anything in writing from the police department admitting they were in error, but the word is out that the polite visits from the police requesting you to move won't happen again.
Boaters are welcome to enjoy anchoring anywhere in Sunset Lake without fear of being bothered.
Now all that being said - and I know this group isn't the problem - let's all act responsibly. Neat and tidy boats, respect for the neighbours, leave a clean wake....the usual drill. Part of the reason for this problem was a young man with a grotty boat who anchored there for a considerable period of time, antagonizing the locals AND the police. We don't need that.
Old 15-06-2011, 10:41   #203

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

To Canuksailor: It would be great if you change the title of your thread and clearly put Miami Beach instead of Miami.
In some post there is also a mixed up between Miami Police dept and Miami Beach Police dept.
Miami and Miami Beach are two different towns and cities and two different administrations.
We Miamians would like the difference to be well understood.
Thank you
Old 15-06-2011, 10:53   #204
cruiser

Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake , Miami Beach)

To Alecadi - you're right - somewhere along the line, the thread title was truncated - probably my fault for hasty cutting and pasting. I'm not aware of any way to change the thread title tho.
That being said, everyone here is aware that the problem is in Miami Beach, not Miami. As well, the op refers to the MB mayor.
Old 15-06-2011, 10:53   #205
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

It's something Mods can do and it is done. It will only show in the original tile though - it doesn't cascade through the thread.

Old 15-06-2011, 10:55   #206
cruiser

In that case Humminway, perhaps you could make the change please? AH, I see it's already done. Thank you.
Old 15-06-2011, 11:28   #207

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
I have to take my hat off to you Americans for showing us that democracy is still alive in the world today - the public have a voice and the powers that be, attend to that voice - its impressive.
Old 15-06-2011, 11:44   #208

Boat: 30' CATALINA C30

It does sound scary out there. Fires, guns, police, bullies, etc. Why can't someone these days just have a peaceful vacation/boating experience?
Old 15-06-2011, 13:49   #209

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

And shame on us that it had to be a Canadian to show us this light.

But thank you canucksailor.

Cheers!
Old 15-06-2011, 14:31   #210
cruiser

What is needed now is someone to anchor there and test the resolve of the mayor's office....any volunteers?
I'm in St. Augustine, headed north, so it's not possible for me at this time. Although, I'll be stopping by next fall on my way south.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchoring, cruising, miami, politics, regulations