Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 14:28   #46
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake, Miami )

Funjohnson - the point is even better made if Karlton leaves his home for the day. Talk about tucking your tail between your legs like a mangy cur, it would show him up as the loser he is. After all, what sort of man doesn't stand by his home and his beliefs? That's what we're doing, standing up for what is right, in our homes!
Besides, this event will make the tv, I have no doubt at all. He'll hear about it there, and his neighbours will not be impressed with the attention he's going to bring to them. And they will surely let him know what went on.
Old 02-06-2011, 14:33   #47

I just read this thread and the original one and all I can say is that this guy is a disgrace to us Americans. He's a prime example of why *everybody* views Americans as entitled trash. As soon as I get my boat in a few months, I am going to go anchor at this guy's inlet and lounge with my dog. Behavior like this is just sickening. I'm almost ashamed to admit this guy is a US citizen...
Old 02-06-2011, 14:37   #48
cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

Rowingdude - we have them in Canada as well. In one case, the police had to get involved when the cottage owner got out a rifle and tried to raise a boat's waterline. Other than 'privileged' individuals like Karlton here, I've found Americans to be courteous, considerate and pleasant people wherever I've been in the US and elsewhere.
You have no reason to apologize -- and that you did proves MY point about Americans, doesn't it?
Old 02-06-2011, 14:40   #49

I suppose, I guess there are bad apples in every bunch, but this guy lives right on prime cruising ground and is completely inconsiderate about the bunch who would use the "waterway". As a real estate tycoon (or so claimed) I'm sure he knew what he was buying and anyone with a second's glance can see that is a great anchorage. I wouldn't buy a house like that on a lake on the ICW and NOT expect people to anchor infront of my house. It's just sickening!
Old 02-06-2011, 14:51   #50
cruiser

Reply from Miami Beach to those who wrote letters (which I did):

Wally (and everyone else who responded to his online post),

This is the first we’ve heard of this. I do know that for a few months there’s been complaints from some of the homeowners in that area about boats anchoring behind their houses due to noise, proximity or other issues. Some of the homeowners have been aggressive about this issue as you note in your letter (by the way, if they overstep their legal bounds, we do hold them accountable as well). But our general take has been that as long as boats are legally moored where they are allowed and aren’t violating any other laws, we don’t have a problem with them. There was one particular case I recall about a boat that was in really bad shape and there were some concerns about it causing a safety hazard. But that got resolved as far as I know.

I suspect that whoever gave that order was trying to diffuse a situation that’s been boiling for awhile. I really hope that our police department does not inadvertently cause a problem larger than the one they were trying to solve by asking you (although not forcing you) to move. You should know that the homeowner you reference does not have any particular influence with the Mayor. However, I will forward your email to our police department, city manager’s and city attorney’s offices for review and appropriate action.

I’m including the link to the post for our people at the city to see: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ami-61665.html.

Feel free to contact us anytime if you have further need.

Best regards,

MIAMIBEACH
Rebecca Wakefield
OFFICE OF THE MAYOR , Chief of Staff
1700 Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139
Tel: 305-673-7035 / Fax: 305-673-7096 / City of Miami Beach - Official Website
Old 02-06-2011, 14:59   #51

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake, Miami )

In for a penny, in for a pound. I copied one of the letters below to the mayor and received a response from Ms Rebecca Wakefield just now. She denied that the Mayor is influenced by the homeowner and forwarded my (copied) letter to the police dept. She sounded sincere about getting the word out to ciity officials. I titled my note: "Abuse of Power".oops. Active Captain beat me to it. A day late, a dollar short.
Old 02-06-2011, 15:06   #52
cruiser

Well - most interesting. Seems the war may have been won without a shot being fired. Do we have anyone in the area who can go anchor out and see how Mr. Karlton is behaving? After all, he's the one who needs the attitude adjustment.
Old 02-06-2011, 15:21   #53
cruiser

I've responded to Ms. Wakefield as follows:

Hello Rebecca, and thank you for your prompt response. It's most appreciated. Regarding your remark about someone trying to diffuse a situation, that's quite possible and in fact, I wouldn't be surprised were that to turn out to be the case.
However, most people are quite loath to say no to a police officer - especially when those officers are as polite and apologetic as these gentlemen were. The end result is that most people will move - when in reality, the request shouldn't even be made, should it? While I'm thinking of it, please pass on my appreciation to the force for the pleasant and professional manner in which they handled themselves.
I think what we all would like to see here is an assurance from the Chief that the police won't be responding to Mr. Karlton's calls whatsoever, unless there is a real issue at hand, and not just his unbearable angst at finding (and it's SOOOO hard to believe this could occur) a boat anchored behind his property. The issue, no matter how it has come to pass, is that the police are responding to this sort of call when there are far more important things for them to be doing.
And if the issue is such a bother to Mr. Karlton, then perhaps he should move to one of his properties not on the water. He certainly has a choice.
I'll look forward to hearing the Chief's response to all of this. Thank you again for your reply.
Old 02-06-2011, 15:22   #54

I'd like to see their responses as well and to know it wasn't just shuffled in with other paper work.

"police department, city manager’s and city attorney’s offices for review and appropriate action."

Jennifer
Old 02-06-2011, 16:16   #55
cruiser

I've contacted the Chief of Police directly to continue this discussion and bring the situation to a resolution that we, as cruisers, can live with - i.e. that the police will not respond to 'nuisance' calls from Karlton. My letter and his response won't be posted as that would be inappropriate, but I'll post the outcome of the discussion when it's concluded.
Stay tuned!
Old 02-06-2011, 16:32   #56

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

I do hope that those who are participating in the raft up will be considerate of the neighbors by keeping the noise down and leaving a clean wake. That being said, I keep hearing more and more boaters being harassed in the Miami area and not just in this one anchorage. If there is anyway possible for us to avoid the area while cruising, we are going to try our darnedest to do so. I'd rather spend my money in a community that wants and appreciates our presence as well as our money.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:05   #57

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

The quick response by the Mayor is encouraging.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:11   #58

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
The quick response by the Mayor is encouraging.
Actually, the mayor did not respond unfortunately. It was someone from his office. But it is good to know everyone got their attention and I would think this will soon become a non issue. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 03-06-2011, 06:13   #59

That response from the "Mayor" sounded like a political "cover my butt" canned response.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:19   #60

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
But it is good to know everyone got their attention and I would think this will soon become a non issue. Chuck

You think the guy is going to back down so easily?

What I do see as a result is that the police will stop coming by and politely asking boaters to move; but I don't see his behavior changing. In fact, he will probably hear through his contacts about the letters to the Mayor and it will move him to more drastic tactics to drive boaters away from his view.

For anyone who does anchor there, be sure and have your video gear going. YouTube is what will bring this guy down...

Tags
anchoring, cruising, miami, politics, regulations