Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2017, 09:03   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Belgian customs at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Ramsgate sells white. A few others but not many.
As of last year, Royal Harbour Marina in Ramsgate was the only place listed in YBW's guide where you can buy white diesel for boats:

Marinas offering fuel guaranted free from bio-diesel

Note that it's not white marine diesel -- it's road diesel with at least 7% FAME in it (as required by a different EU regulation ), which will kill many boat engines.

Sold in Ramsgate for desperate foreign boaters, who need fuel but don't dare put in British red. Doubt if a single British boater has ever bought any of this stuff.
Old 13-07-2017, 09:16   #32

Boat: Grand Banks 42 MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
They've had decades to comply with what everyone else is doing.
Evidence of this is they still drive the wrong side of the road

(Just kidding ! )
Old 13-07-2017, 09:17   #33

Boat: Lagoon 42

I am not entirely sure but I doubt its solely a tax issue

I believe its stated previously but its en interpretation of the european law , which belgium interprets as 'no red diesel allowed in EU yachts' , and other countries interpret as 'no red diesel allowed in EU yachts *but* if you can prove you paid tax over it we wont give you a hard time'

the belgians just never went for the *but* parts , they've taken a hard line and are enforcing it the way they see it

there are other 'substances' or 'items' which are allowed in one EY country but not in another EU country, so you leave them at home when you visit countries where those 'substances' or 'items' are not allowed , Belgium is viewing 'red diesel in yachts' in that same light, its just forbidden so you'll be fined if you bring it
Old 13-07-2017, 09:35   #34

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post

I believe its stated previously but its en interpretation of the european law , which belgium interprets as 'no red diesel allowed in EU yachts' , and other countries interpret as 'no red diesel allowed in EU yachts *but* if you can prove you paid tax over it we wont give you a hard time'
Does this mean that if the yacht is NOT from the EU, there will be no fine? If so, then that's just fine, unless of course I receive a fine.
Old 13-07-2017, 09:36   #35

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I just hope the state of New York doesn't get any ideas from Belgium, they have a law outlawing dyed diesel in pleasure boats. Of course every other state sells dyed diesel to pleasure boats. If they started testing every boat going up and down the east coast they could start racking up some revenue.
Old 13-07-2017, 09:59   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Does this mean that if the yacht is NOT from the EU, there will be no fine? If so, then that's just fine, unless of course I receive a fine.
please contact the belgium customs , I am not the expert here
Old 13-07-2017, 10:27   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sounds like some petty fascist taking Brexit revenge.

Easy answer, let's ask Donald to cede Belgium to the North Koreans. That'll end the nonsense and the only remaining problem will be how to control exports of kimchee-filled chocolates.
Old 13-07-2017, 10:30   #38

Boat: Najad 373

Being one of the few Belgians on CF, I must confess there is a tradition of surrealism in this poor little country of mine. Think of the country as a set of villages ruled by one local tribe each. They feel important by focusing on what matters to them in the moment, with no vision of the future, except on items that can keep them sustainably in power... or get them money quickly.

This is a typical example of "my rules on my land", so ANY yacht found with red traces will be fined, EU or else.

I can only confirm what many are suggesting: stay off the BE harbours... despite the fact that eg Nieuwpoort is a great place and visitors are warmly welcomed by the locals (that includes me!).

I'll send a note to some of our politicians to ask them to get more tolerant (such as NL) but I must say that Brexit is not helping them to be flexible. Brussels as capital of EU is much sensitive to this, and we all see this as a great loss for all.

Not to mention how ashamed I feel, for this and for the stupid ways this country is being (un-) managed.

Didier
Old 13-07-2017, 11:25   #39

I dont believe its a Belgium thingie .. its an EU law and the UK has never agreed to implement or follow this law

Brussels takes UK to court over boats using red diesel - BBC News

Now that the UK decided to leave the EU the gloves are coming off on both sides ? If this really is a EU law 'No red diesel in leisure boats' other countries (Netherlands, France , Portugal , Spain etc ) will most likely follow suit as well as the EU no longer has a need to keep the gloves on or find 'acceptable workarounds' as the UK is no longer an EU member

Not sure how this will play out in the future .. and what other memberstates will do
Old 13-07-2017, 11:33   #40

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
If this really is a EU law 'No red diesel in leisure boats' other countries (Netherlands, France , Portugal , Spain etc ) will most likely follow suit as well as the EU no longer has a need to keep the gloves on or find 'acceptable workarounds' as the UK is no longer an EU member

If the law is "no red diesel in leisure boats" that would seem to impact US and Canadian recreational vessels, too.

If enforcement extends to include all of the EU... would seem like a significant disincentive for passage-making type folks from this side of the pond to cruise the Med, Baltic, etc...

Without regard to UK membership in the EU, Brexit, etc.

-Chris
Old 13-07-2017, 11:41   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
If the law is "no red diesel in leisure boats" that would seem to impact US and Canadian recreational vessels, too.

If enforcement extends to include all of the EU... would seem like a significant disincentive for passage-making type folks from this side of the pond to cruise the Med, Baltic, etc...

Without regard to UK membership in the EU, Brexit, etc.

-Chris
Here's the directive (s) it speaks about 'member states' , so I gather its about leisure boats registered in the EU , in an EU memberstate ?

EUR-Lex - l31020 - EN - EUR-Lex
EUR-Lex - 32006D0428 - EN - EUR-Lex

I doubt the EU will enforce rules to non-memberstates , like the united states of america , canada etc ?

but to be sure, you may want to ask Belgian customs office what happens if you sail a US flagged sailing vessel into Nieuwpoort with a full tank of red diesel
Old 13-07-2017, 11:45   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
I understand that the pink tracer which is added to "tax-free" fuel stays in the tank of a boat even after many refills.
It seems the Belgium apparatchiks are saying that no one can ever use a boat that has ever purchased fuel from outside the EU.
Old 13-07-2017, 11:45   #43
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I see a huge market in taking old winches and fitting them up as diesel fill plates.

"But Monsieur! There is no diesel fill plate, no diesel tank! See for yourself! I have looked all over for one, and cannot find such a thing! It is a perpetual motion machine! Why does no one believe me?!"

I am reminded of a French border guard who refused to stamp my passport. He was so insulted, that he shut his little window, pulled down the windowshade, and pretended not to be there. (At the time, technically, I could not legally enter France without that stamp.) Years later I figured out he was just embarrassed because France was too poor to buy him ink for the stamp pad.

No doubt those Belgians are not salaried, they work entirely on commission, so they MUST try to find red dye in order to earn their daily bread. Does no one have pity for them?
Old 13-07-2017, 11:50   #44

Quote:
Here's the directive (s) it speaks about 'member states' , so I gather its about leisure boats registered in the EU , in an EU memberstate ?

EUR-Lex - l31020 - EN - EUR-Lex
EUR-Lex - 32006D0428 - EN - EUR-Lex

I doubt the EU will enforce rules to non-memberstates , like the united states of america , canada etc ?

but to be sure, you may want to ask Belgian customs office what happens if you sail a US flagged sailing vessel into Nieuwpoort with a full tank of red diesel
This is good information and must have been posted about the same time I posted my previous comment. I guess Britain will just have to wait a few months until they are officially out of the EU, then the issue will be moot.
Old 13-07-2017, 11:52   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

No doubt those Belgians are not salaried, they work entirely on commission, so they MUST try to find red dye in order to earn their daily bread. Does no one have pity for them?
you know what ?
if you don't follow the law you have to face the consequences ..

to me it clearly seems like the UK government failed to supply 'protection from tax prosecution' to its people , after having been warned for over a decade .. I feel little pity. If anything the UK sailors should pay the fine , take the receipt and deduct it from their taxes or get it back from their government ?

Why beat the belgians over the head for following the rules and laws ?

"The UK government does require boats using red diesel to pay full duty and acknowledge they may face penalties for using it outside its waters."
Closed Thread

Tags
customs