Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 03:49   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Another " Ransomed " Release

Judith Tebbutt, 56, from Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, was freed on Wednesday and flown to Nairobi after her family paid pirates a ransom of $1.1 million (£691,000), which had been raised by her family, was airdropped to her kidnappers in the remote Adado region of central Somalia. A further £129,000 was paid to middlemen who helped negotiate her release. .

Judith Tebbutt heads home after Somalia kidnap ordeal | World news | The Guardian

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 05:08   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Another "ransomed" release

Glad she's ok and I am sure her family is relieved. My families poor, I fear if I am ever taken captive, I may be there a while, maybe I can teach them better boarding techniques, repair their sails running gear etc....
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 05:14   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

It's a relief that one more has been released. They weren't sailors, just taking a luxury honeymoon grass hut on a deserted bit of coast south of the Somalia border.
Some boats came in, probably tipped off, killed her husband when he objected or fought back, and took her away. She'd been held for six months, moving from town to town in Somalia, and getting medical treatment when needed. She only learnt of her husbands death from her son after her release. She described the news as 'Difficult'.
My thoughts are with her, and her recovery and adjustment to widowhood.
There is a more active anti-piracy stance at the moment, but under international law killing suspected pirates is not allowed, taking them prisoner brings them under international law, and no-one wants to accept them to hold, and then bring to trial.
The UK is already stuck with extremist Islam'ists, and some others, who cannot be deported to their birth countries under EUROPE law because they may be ill treated there and that infringes their human rights.
It will be interesting, in due course, to hear this ladies view of that ruling.
Old 22-03-2012, 08:34   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
It's a relief that one more has been released. They weren't sailors, just taking a luxury honeymoon grass hut on a deserted bit of coast south of the Somalia border.
Some boats came in, probably tipped off, killed her husband when he objected or fought back, and took her away. ...
While I am certainly sympathetic about the traumatic experience this woman had, I don't understand why people keep placing themselves in harms way near Somalia. I am not risk averse, I live in Guatemala, but I don't go looking for trouble either.

Unfortunately, all of these pay-offs just create more better funded pirates and propagate the problem.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote