Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 21:25   #16
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfin
Sometimes I change my mind or my view or opinion, and want to be able to act accordingly.

If a thread is "drifting," an "administrator" can make a post in the thread pointing that out.

On the other hand, on occasion (perhaps rare) the "drift" makes a thread more interesting or pertinent

I "drifted" away from Lats & Atts BB because it became too often too loose for my taste. I hope this forum doesn't evolve too far the other direction in which "Big Brother" takes too much control.
Many boards do not let you ever go back and change your posts. We are allowing an hour and then after that you just have to go though a mod or admin. Will that meet your needs?

Once again, this is just in an effort to ensure continuity of the discussions.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2006, 20:23   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfin
I hope this forum doesn't evolve too far the other direction in which "Big Brother" takes too much control.

Since you know Big Brother, you probably also know that Winston Smith's job in the Ministry of Truth was to rewrite old articles to correctly reflect the current political views. If ever a government official needed to claim "I never said that", Minitruth would edit or delete all the old articles so it looked like he never said it.

I understand that somebody might post an article and notice something to fix right away, but I think we benefit more from preserving the continuity of a thread than by allowing anybody to edit their old posts at any time. I have noticed only a few threads on this board that had edits/deletes lead to confusion, but as the user base grows that will likely increase. On at least one other board that I read, there are often confusing threads because of deletions, and it usually results in many posts of "what are you talking about?" and "Hey, did somebody delete a message? What did it say?"

If you anticipate the need to withdraw your post, maybe it should not be posted in the first place. Sometimes it is helpful to think over your comments for a day, rather than posting immediately.

Also, if you decided a month or a year later that you really should not have said that, you can post a followup recanting your statements, apologizing for intemperate words, etc. And, of course, in extreme cases a moderator can remove it, though I think it would be more appropriate for a moderator to edit it to say "(text removed by moderator on <date>)" so people at least know something is missing.
Old 15-04-2006, 23:08   #18
Kai Nui

Interesting points about the post edits. An example that recently occured to support closing the edit option had to do with a member who deliberately removed his post to interupt the continuity of a thread. His idea was to discredit statements made by another member by removing the context of that statement.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:07   #19

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Ok, I admit to being the most technical savvy pooter person around here and I'm stumped. I can't seem to get my signature to appear on my posts. Multiple attempts to "turn it on" have resulted in complete failure. Will one of you wise old sages please enlighten me on this subject?

Much thanks,

TJ
Old 12-12-2007, 10:10   #20

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Well I'll be damned....it works now!! Is that magic or what? You guys are gooooood!!

Regards,

TJ
Old 28-04-2008, 15:24   #21

Boat: searching
Just a rube

Hey how do i get a star,
Why do some titles appear bold,
Whats the difference Post reply and quick,
and is there some place I missed that tells me this stuff?

I think I read all the FAQs, maybe not?

Anyway thanks for this forum it is great.
I've been away from sailing for some time and you all are getting my cruising heart pumping, its like CPR !
Herbseesmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 16:22   #22
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbseesmoore View Post
Hey how do i get a star,
Stars are earned as your post count rises. So post lots and post often.
Quote:
Why do some titles appear bold,
Moderators & Administrators get special privilidges such as bold names and larger avatars. We're Special!
Quote:
Whats the difference Post reply and quick,
A quick reply just allows you to post mostly text without all the advanced message markup tools in the advanced editor.
Quote:
and is there some place I missed that tells me this stuff?
Don't think so, nope. There might be a tutorial burried somewhere but I've never seen it but then again I never went looking for it either! For the most part these bulletin boards are pretty intuitive and you'll pick up on all the features quickly.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 16:49   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
. I'd like to think that we're adults on this board, and could be trusted to use the edit button.

Thanks!

Jim H
I think the edit should remain as is.
Changes long after can change the context of the whole thread in some cases.
Adults should think before they type............and be responsible............and accountable..........even though it is just "the internet".
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 16:55   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfin View Post
Perhaps a poll could be taken re: the "edit" button issue?

I strongly "vote" for the original poster to be able to edit or remove his/her post at any time.

Sometimes I change my mind or my view or opinion, and want to be able to act accordingly.

I think the "act" should be another post.
If you change your mind on page 2 and I have been following and it is page 4 how can that work out? We don't reread all posts wnen new ones arrive to see new/changed opinions. That is what new posts are for.
Old 29-04-2008, 13:33   #25
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Therapy - ayup - that be one of the many reasons why it is what it is.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 14:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by papiola2 View Post
I'm more comfortable with a sextant than a computer.
How do I post a "post"
Like you just did.
Old 14-08-2008, 14:49   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to Interstategypsy
For what it is worth..... I agree with Therapy, be adults, be responsible, be accountable, it takes all 3 to get to the truth in any situation.
Old 27-08-2008, 08:01   #28

Boat: Lord Nelson, 35-Papiola II
Thanks to all who gave advice on "how to post".
I now hope to be a parcipitant
papiola2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:43   #29

I can't figure out how to post a new question. At 58 maybe I'm too old for computers
t.glad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:14   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.glad View Post
I can't figure out how to post a new question. At 58 maybe I'm too old for computers
Hi - I posted this previously but didn't inlcude the picture. The picture may help.

When you are looking at a list of threads you can click the button that says "New Thread" to start your own.

Or if you are reading someone else's post and want to add on you can click, "quote" to reply with their message quoted on yours, "reply" to simply reply to the previous post, or "quick reply" to quickly respond to a post without access to the animated smilies like this ---->

You seem to have a handle on replying so it's a matter of finding the New Thread button.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Thread.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	5008  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote