Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 19:31   #1

BVI to Grenada

Ahoy! We are new owners of a 54ft monohull, I know it's late in the season but we plan on taking the boat down to Grenada (next week or the next...last min scrambles) for the hurricane season. Any advice on specific routing or knowledge through previous experience on this passage would be much appreciated. We headed for Port Louis where we have a berth booked, I was planning to go as the crow flies to save time on distance...
Sayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 20:05   #2

Re: BVI to Grenada

Just my opinion, but I would not go as the crow flies at this time of the year (peak hurricane season). All TS/hurricanes do not start on the west coast of Africa. Sometimes they pop up close to the island chain. I would "generally" head as the crow flies, staying more east than straight to Grenada, not venturing more than 3 hours west of any of the islands. That's probably 15ish miles off the coast. Of course, you have to make the jump from the from the BVIs to St. Martin (which I think is a beat this time of year), but once off the coast of St. Martin you should have a broad reach pretty much the rest of the way. I'd definitely check the weather at every scheduled update and I'd limit the night time sailing strictly because I wouldn't want to have to make a urgent entry into an unknown harbor in the middle of even a mild 40-50kt wind and storm.

I've not done it, so I'm only giving my opinion from sailing in some of those areas during our annual October Caribbean trips.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 21:44   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayang View Post
Ahoy! We are new owners of a 54ft monohull, I know it's late in the season but we plan on taking the boat down to Grenada (next week or the next...last min scrambles) for the hurricane season. Any advice on specific routing or knowledge through previous experience on this passage would be much appreciated. We headed for Port Louis where we have a berth booked, I was planning to go as the crow flies to save time on distance...
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

I have not yet made a voyage on that route, but would like to.

Here is a link to several previous discussions related to sailing to and from Grenada, including from the BVI area. Look into the threads or topics going back a few pages. Lots of good advice from Cruisers who have already sailed that route.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ada&gsc.page=1

I hope that helps.
Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 22:17   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Since the boat is new to you, I would head to St Martin. Consider it an overnight shakedown. This is an easy place to get and/or fix anything that might not be right enough and an easy place to clear in and out. It also gets more to will ward making g the rest of the trip a better sail. Then make a 3 day beeline to Grenada on a good forecast. Do some research so you have an intermediate spot to go hide in if a hurricane pops up unexpectedly.
Old 11-08-2017, 23:29   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Hurricanes and tropical storms don't just "appear" out of the blue, they are the product of tropical waves that leave the African continent in a regular rhythm. With modern weather forecasting you will know a week beforehand whether the next system is going to grow and whether or not the track will be heading to the north of you.
So, with an eye on the weather forecasts, you will have more than enough time to get out of the way (meaning going south of the storm) assuming all systems and people aboard are in order. What Paul L stated is good advice, the bash from the BVI to St. Martin is always a nasty one and if anything does break on that 90NM upwind leg you'll be in the best place in the Caribbean to have it repaired or get replacement parts.
Heading south from St. Martin towards Grenada you'll generally be on a beam reach or sometimes a bit close hauled depending upon the prevailing winds, but you won't have to tack upwind as on the BVI-SXM passage.
From St. Martin to Grenada is a bit over 400NM. I have a slightly bigger boat than you and average 7-8 knots on passages but use 6 knots for my calculations. At 6 knots going non-stop that is 2.7 days total travel time. That is assuming you are in St. Martin and the NOAA and other online weather sites predict a TRS to have a path going through St. Vincent & the Grenadines. Since you always want to be south of the weather system you'd need to travel the furthest distance.
All of this is predicated on the boat/crew being prepared to depart on short notice and on keeping an eye on the weather systems. I'd be a bit jumpy and leave before any tropical storm approaches, since a weather system can quickly strengthen and become a devastating hurricane as Gonzalo proved in 2014.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:51   #6

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. It is much appreciated!
Old 12-08-2017, 04:12   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sayang.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sayang.

Thank you very much. What an amazing collection of like minded people. Such a great community to be a part of!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
Just my opinion, but I would not go as the crow flies at this time of the year (peak hurricane season). All TS/hurricanes do not start on the west coast of Africa. Sometimes they pop up close to the island chain. I would "generally" head as the crow flies, staying more east than straight to Grenada, not venturing more than 3 hours west of any of the islands. That's probably 15ish miles off the coast. Of course, you have to make the jump from the from the BVIs to St. Martin (which I think is a beat this time of year), but once off the coast of St. Martin you should have a broad reach pretty much the rest of the way. I'd definitely check the weather at every scheduled update and I'd limit the night time sailing strictly because I wouldn't want to have to make a urgent entry into an unknown harbor in the middle of even a mild 40-50kt wind and storm.

I've not done it, so I'm only giving my opinion from sailing in some of those areas during our annual October Caribbean trips.

Thanks so much for your views. It's greatly appreciated!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Hurricanes and tropical storms don't just "appear" out of the blue, they are the product of tropical waves that leave the African continent in a regular rhythm. With modern weather forecasting you will know a week beforehand whether the next system is going to grow and whether or not the track will be heading to the north of you.
No offense, but this is so, so wrong - and therefore dangerous.

Just this week the *first* hurricane of the year (Franklin) developed in the Caribbean without notice from the NHC or NWS.

How many TS/hurricanes does it take to prove the statement wrong?
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:09   #11

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

Consider Martinique, better sailing angle than St. Martin. Le Marin on south side is a very protected place to hide and has any Services you may require. We went from USVI to Martinique to Grenada this year to make good time south.

If you do go "straight" , make sure you mark Aves Island as it will be close to your route, and not charted well in my opinion.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:23   #12

There is nothing wrong with your plan . You will be sailing towards your destinations and could turn east at any time to the "safety " of what ever island you could reach . Any storm will give plenty of warnings .
Bear in mind that thousands upon hundreds of boats will remain in the Carib year around .
wandering rober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Life View Post
Consider Martinique, better sailing angle than St. Martin. Le Marin on south side is a very protected place to hide and has any Services you may require. We went from USVI to Martinique to Grenada this year to make good time south.

If you do go "straight" , make sure you mark Aves Island as it will be close to your route, and not charted well in my opinion.

Thank you Sea Life I will definitely look at this as an option.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:25   #14

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
No offense, but this is so, so wrong - and therefore dangerous.

Just this week the *first* hurricane of the year (Franklin) developed in the Caribbean without notice from the NHC or NWS.

How many TS/hurricanes does it take to prove the statement wrong?
I thought the same. "Traditional" hurricanes arise as tropical waves off Africa; but with the abundance of heat and shallow waters in the Carib and Gulf, tropical storms can arise out of nowhere, almost overnight, and any tropical storm has the chance of developing hurricane strength. Just a few weeks ago, the Gulf Coast of Florida was hit by a TS that arose overnight.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering rober View Post
There is nothing wrong with your plan . You will be sailing towards your destinations and could turn east at any time to the "safety " of what ever island you could reach . Any storm will give plenty of warnings .

Bear in mind that thousands upon hundreds of boats will remain in the Carib year around .

Wandering Rober, thanks for your input... what would you personally be using to monitor the weather if you were making this passage?

Tags
BVI, Grenada