Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2017, 06:32   #16

Boat: 42 Krogen #61
Re: BVI to Grenada

Franklin was discussed for over a week, maybe longer before it became franklin. I would recommend looking at national hurricane center and other tropical weather discussions about such things. If you do not have a very good working knowledge of weather forecasting(as in classes etc.). I would than strongly recommend the services of Chris Parker or similar.

For instance there is already discussion of a wave exiting Africa which could make lanfall in Eastern Caribbean Fri 18. It will be monitored for Saharan dust, ITCZ interaction etc.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:35   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Since the boat is new to you, I would head to St Martin. Consider it an overnight shakedown. This is an easy place to get and/or fix anything that might not be right enough and an easy place to clear in and out. It also gets more to will ward making g the rest of the trip a better sail. Then make a 3 day beeline to Grenada on a good forecast. Do some research so you have an intermediate spot to go hide in if a hurricane pops up unexpectedly.

Thanks Paul for your input, I was trying to cut out heading to St Maarten just as a time issue. But what you have said is extremely valid. Thanks again
Sayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Life View Post
Franklin was discussed for over a week, maybe longer before it became franklin. I would recommend looking at national hurricane center and other tropical weather discussions about such things. If you do not have a very good working knowledge of weather forecasting(as in classes etc.). I would than strongly recommend the services of Chris Parker or similar.

For instance there is already discussion of a wave exiting Africa which could make lanfall in Eastern Caribbean Fri 18. It will be monitored for Saharan dust, ITCZ interaction etc.

I have weather apps I check on my iPad everyday while in the BVI. The thing is I will have no internet as soon as I'm out of the BVIs. I do have an SSB radio onboard (which I haven't used yet) I see Chris Parker offers SSB transmissions. Have you ever used SSB yourself for weather monitoring?
Old 12-08-2017, 06:50   #19

Weather apps don't do a good job on tropical "stuff". They really don't mention until watches are issued. Waves don't always show on "wind maps". You need to be digging deeper, or paying someone to do so in my opinion if you are boating in Hurricane season in the Caribbean.

Yes I have subscribed to Chris' services for 3 years even though I am fairly capable after many weeks in Lee Chesneau's classes and others. It is always nice to have a second unbiased opinion. He has weather routing which is more expensive and customized per passage or the standard forecast service.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 12-08-2017, 06:57   #20

Quote:
Weather apps don't do a good job on tropical "stuff". They really don't mention until watches are issued. Waves don't always show on "wind maps". You need to be digging deeper, or paying someone to do so in my opinion if you are boating in Hurricane season in the Caribbean.

Yes I have subscribed to Chris' services for 3 years even though I am fairly capable after many weeks in Lee Chesneau's classes and others. It is always nice to have a second unbiased opinion. He has weather routing which is more expensive and customized per passage or the standard forecast service.

Do you receive his forecasts via SSB?
Old 12-08-2017, 07:02   #21

Yes, You can actually listen to the forecast on SSB for free. I appreciate his service and find it affordable to subscribe to. This also gives you the opportunity to have two way communication with him.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 12-08-2017, 07:06   #22

Quote:
Yes, You can actually listen to the forecast on SSB for free. I appreciate his service and find it affordable to subscribe to. This also gives you the opportunity to have two way communication with him.

This is great information, thank you! What does he charge for two way comms? I might try tuning in today to give it a whirl, what frequency does he broadcast and what times for the free service?
Old 12-08-2017, 07:27   #23

Go to mwxc.com, his website. It will tell you everything you need. Also for clarification, I have no financial or other interests in his operations.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 12-08-2017, 07:29   #24

Quote:
Go to mwxc.com, his website. It will tell you everything you need. Also for clarification, I have no financial or other interests in his operations.

Thanks Sea Life, appreciate it!
Old 12-08-2017, 07:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Hurricanes and tropical storms don't just "appear" out of the blue, they are the product of tropical waves that leave the African continent in a regular rhythm. With modern weather forecasting you will know a week beforehand whether the next system is going to grow and whether or not the track will be heading to the north of you.
So, with an eye on the weather forecasts, you will have more than enough time to get out of the way (meaning going south of the storm) assuming all systems and people aboard are in order. What Paul L stated is good advice, the bash from the BVI to St. Martin is always a nasty one and if anything does break on that 90NM upwind leg you'll be in the best place in the Caribbean to have it repaired or get replacement parts.
Heading south from St. Martin towards Grenada you'll generally be on a beam reach or sometimes a bit close hauled depending upon the prevailing winds, but you won't have to tack upwind as on the BVI-SXM passage.
From St. Martin to Grenada is a bit over 400NM. I have a slightly bigger boat than you and average 7-8 knots on passages but use 6 knots for my calculations. At 6 knots going non-stop that is 2.7 days total travel time. That is assuming you are in St. Martin and the NOAA and other online weather sites predict a TRS to have a path going through St. Vincent & the Grenadines. Since you always want to be south of the weather system you'd need to travel the furthest distance.
All of this is predicated on the boat/crew being prepared to depart on short notice and on keeping an eye on the weather systems. I'd be a bit jumpy and leave before any tropical storm approaches, since a weather system can quickly strengthen and become a devastating hurricane as Gonzalo proved in 2014.

Thanks Zanshin, have you made this trip before?
Old 12-08-2017, 16:49   #26

Sayang , This is a relative short trip , before leaving the BVI if you have a 4 day window , take off . If something comes up you have many options , head easterly to one of the islands but the best bet would be to keep going southeasterly , Many boats will go from the BVI to to the ABC islands in three days . The chances of a surprise storm are pretty slim . I realize Grenada is your destination but if a storm comes up that worries you , just keep going south and a little east .
Or leave from BVI and sail to the lee of St. Martin and hug the lee side of the chain all the way down . This is the wrong way to do it but many feel safer close to land !
wandering rober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 17:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering rober View Post
Sayang , This is a relative short trip , before leaving the BVI if you have a 4 day window , take off . If something comes up you have many options , head easterly to one of the islands but the best bet would be to keep going southeasterly , Many boats will go from the BVI to to the ABC islands in three days . The chances of a surprise storm are pretty slim . I realize Grenada is your destination but if a storm comes up that worries you , just keep going south and a little east .
Or leave from BVI and sail to the lee of St. Martin and hug the lee side of the chain all the way down . This is the wrong way to do it but many feel safer close to land !

Yeah, I'm in 2 minds to stop in SXM to buy a few things duty free I need for the boat. Or to just head down like you said... Being here in the BVI the last week, I have noticed how the weather has deteriorated and become a constant problem... hopefully our widow opens and it's smooth sailing! Thanks again
Old 26-06-2018, 07:12   #28

Boat: Maxim 380

I would stop in Martinique to provision for the summer. The Price Leader in Marin has a dinghy dock and great prices on provisioning. We are in Grenada for hurricane season and we already wish we had bought more in Martinique. If you do stay close to the islands be prepared for some pretty stout gusts as you approach or leave each island. We had gusts in the mid thirties at Guadalupe Dominica and St Lucia on our way down.
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, Grenada