Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 09:12   #1

Dinghy Options for Catalina 27

Hi all,

What are the options for a dinghy for a catalina 27?

I'm thinking about an inflatable with aluminium floor and a small 5hp, but what about the storage, should it be dragged?

Also, is an electric engine a good option?

Thanks

Pat
pat_florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:21   #2

Re: dinghy options for catalina 27

Pat In my experience it can be dragged in calm water should be rolled up and stored on deck it there is any chance or big water, less you are willing to lose it The options are wood floor alu floor, same things to me or check out the inflatable floor models Those hard floors are a pain if you inflate and deflate much Elec motor is to limiting for me besides what do you save? a good battery is as heavy as a 2.5 hp 2stroke
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:43   #3

Re: dinghy options for catalina 27

I have an Achilles 8ft 6" model with the Suzuki 2.5. The outboard is as heavy as I'd care to lift, the same for the dinghy. If either were any bigger you'd have to go for davits and an outboard hoist. It's also a PITA to take the dinghy apart with the solid wooden floor, and it won't plane anyway. So I would go for an inflatable floor next time.

My plan is to keep the dinghy inflated at the end of the slip (lots of people put a plank across to support it), and tow it when I'm going to use it. This minimises the effort involved I think.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 15:06   #4

Re: Dinghy Options for Catalina 27

good info, thanks guys

Pat
Old 12-07-2011, 15:26   #5

Boat: Dufour 34 - Electric propulsion

Pat,

We carry two inflatables, one is a (light) roll-up and the other (heavy) one has inflatable high-pressure floors and keel (requires a high pressure pump). For the later we have a (heavy) 6 HP four cycle motor (which in turn requires a hoist). [Note: We used to have a (light) 2.5 HP two cycle motor that was stolen. It was fine except for its environmental impact, so I don't miss it]

Which dinghy we use the most? By far the roll up, which we row. The one with inflatable floors and the outboard see the water a couple of times per year, when we anchor far away from a docking place.

I would recommend a roll-up, they are light and easy to stow. And for motoring, I would seriously consider this electric one: Electric Paddle system - PropEle Electric Boat Motors

Alberto
Alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 17:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Pat,

We carry two inflatables, one is a (light) roll-up and the other (heavy) one has inflatable high-pressure floors and keel (requires a high pressure pump). For the later we have a (heavy) 6 HP four cycle motor (which in turn requires a hoist). [Note: We used to have a (light) 2.5 HP two cycle motor that was stolen. It was fine except for its environmental impact, so I don't miss it]

Which dinghy we use the most? By far the roll up, which we row. The one with inflatable floors and the outboard see the water a couple of times per year, when we anchor far away from a docking place.

I would recommend a roll-up, they are light and easy to stow. And for motoring, I would seriously consider this electric one: Electric Paddle system - PropEle Electric Boat Motors

Alberto
Yes, I think I'm gonna start with a roll-up dinghy, and see from there. I like the electric outboard too, it's clean, cheap and had a pretty good autonomy.

Note to self: Need an inverter...

Thanks Alberto!

Pat
Old 20-07-2011, 06:21   #7

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

i have a 8'10 inflatable with a 2 piece wooden floor and a merc 3.5 4 stroke that i store on my catalina 27 the outboard sits on the pushpit the dinghy gets hoisted by the spinaker halyard up on to the foredeck. fits right inbetween the foreward hatch and the pullpit.
Old 20-07-2011, 08:43   #8

I've carried an 8 foot Porta Boat on my 30 sailboat for over ten years both in folded and unfolded states. It's lightweight, holds a lot, rows easily and takes a beating. I really am happy with it:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: REPORT FROM ANNAPOLIS: PART 5: A PORTA-BOTE IMPROVEMENT

Tags
catalina, dinghy