Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2011, 09:28   #1

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II
Riding out a Storm

im very cautious of weather but if i ever do get caught out, what does everyone else do beside the obvious? so far my plans are to anchor leeshore, or wherever the best cover is, throw my home made lightning grounding kit which is a cable with a weight and shackle overboard and attach to the shrouds or mast, and kick back inside till it passes. anyone have any more input on safety or tips? thanks.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 09:39   #2

Re: riding out a storm

You meant 'anchor in the lee of a shore.'

Lightning is the least of your worries, statistically. And there's little you can do about it anyway.

Caught out at sea in conditions that prevent safe sailing: the experienced sailors all seem to agree that trailing a Jordan Series Drogue is the best technique. Steer away from hazards, hibernate below until conditions improve.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 09:42   #3

well i dont do any offshore sailing on my boat. just the bay here in nj. no commercial traffic and a 23 foot boat. out at sea is a different story obviously from the sheltered waters my boat resides in.
Old 27-05-2011, 09:44   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

IMHO unless you can find 100% secure and protected achorage you might want to consider simply reducing sail to something manageable, getting sufficient searoom, and riding it out offshore.
Best tip for you is make sure you're not where a storm is expected........but of course that is not always possible.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 27-05-2011, 09:53   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we just reefed and sailed....whatchye gonna do about something ye can do nothing about?? MAKE SURE THE CAT IS ON BOARD, WEAR CROCS--as they attract NOTHING, RUBBER SUIT, RUBBER HAT AND GLOVES--KEEP ON GOING....works in gulf of mexico with lightning, works in 60 kt winds off baja and kali.....only off baja and kali--no lightning...LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 10:22   #6

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Learn how to make your boat heave-to. Also, consider a sea anchor (Para-tech or similar). This is a large topic. Read Storm Tactics-by the Pardeys.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 10:28   #7

Boat: Tartan 40

All great suggestions above- but as the poster said- only sailing in Barnegat Bay, no offshore. Boat is 23 foot, so obviously in a storm (especially summer T storm which could pack 50-60 kt winds) heaving too could be recipe for capsize and sinking in a small boat.

For what you describe - Bay daysailing with severe but short thunderstorms- best option if you can't secure boat and get off, is get as close to shore with protection from western exposure (as most T storms approach from there with strongest winds from west), get sails down and securely furled, and anchor with as much line as you have to let out. Then don't touch anything metal....
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 10:38   #8

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
All great suggestions above- but as the poster said- only sailing in Barnegat Bay, no offshore. Boat is 23 foot, so obviously in a storm (especially summer T storm which could pack 50-60 kt winds) heaving too could be recipe for capsize and sinking in a small boat.

For what you describe - Bay daysailing with severe but short thunderstorms- best option if you can't secure boat and get off, is get as close to shore with protection from western exposure (as most T storms approach from there with strongest winds from west), get sails down and securely furled, and anchor with as much line as you have to let out. Then don't touch anything metal....
Did he/she mention staying in the bay? Didn't see that. If that's the case, you can probably throw the anchor, wade home and come back when the weather is better.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 11:39   #9

thanks for the input everyone! from being a commercial pilot i know meterology and know weather fairly well but also edging my comfort zone with weather recently because down the line i know when im not a few miles from the dock im going to have to face it sooner or later. not saying im reckless but the past two years i just reef instead of heading back in or dealing with some rain showers to expand my experience. its not always going to be sunny and calm i guess so i need to start somewhere. ive been at sea in many a storms but on fishing vessels which is a horse of another color. storms in this area do tend to come up fast in the summer. my father was out on a calm sunny day when in a matter of 30 minutes a gale came up and beached her on her side on a marsh. i want to be prepared so i wont be a statistic like that. thanks again!