Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2022, 09:25   #1

Repair Frigoboat tubing leak

I have a late 90's Frigomatic AV12 refrigerator compressor with what appears to be a pinhole leak in one or both refrigeration lines. I've added gas a couple times, but it doesn't seem to last long. I was hoping the issue was with the O-rings but replacing them didn't solve the problem.

There is a lot of corrosion where the fittings used by the Frigoboat quick-connects are brazed onto the copper pipe. A leak detector indicates gas around the area of that corroded connection. Is there an easy fix? I was wondering if I could replace the quick-connect fittings with 1/4" and 1/8" compression union fittings. Since I don't plan to disconnect it in the future getting rid of that problematic fitting could eliminate future leaks.

If I cut out the quick-connect fittings, what's the procedure to evacuate the air before recharging? I can borrow a vacuum pump from a friend. Do I need to connect to both service ports or can I just vacuum from the port I've been adding refrigerant?
nhcruise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, repair