Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2022, 18:31   #1

Boat: Hunter 386
Marine Air Systems Raw Water leak

My 2004 marine air SVCD 16k air conditioner worked fine the last couple of years. Earlier this summer, it would ice up and shut down until we defrosted the coils. I fired it up this past weekend, and while all components are working (blows cold air, turns on, compressor kicks in, good water flow out), it is leaking raw water into the tray at an alarming rate, which then flows over into the bilge. Further inspection indicates the air ducts have substantial raw water in them, to the extent the main duct was blocked at the 'elbow', so no air flow was arriving at the vent. I assume it is leaking into the blower/fan area as well. checked raw water line from seacock to strainer through pump/impeller, all is flowing to that point; pump is hot and running. Seems something is either blocking the raw water flow at the base of the unit (but only partially, b/c have good flow out of the boat discharge). how do I start to troubleshoot this without going straight to a new $2k unit? TIA for any suggestions.
bejammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:55   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Marine Air Systems Raw Water leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejammon View Post
it is leaking raw water into the tray at an alarming rate, which then flows over into the bilge.

Further inspection indicates the air ducts have substantial raw water in them,

I assume it is leaking into the blower/fan area as well.

how do I start to troubleshoot this without going straight to a new $2k unit? TIA for any suggestions.

It's 18 years old. Copper tubing may have failed, maybe in a few places.

Assuming yours is a Marine Airrrr Vector Compact, the current Dometic (acquired Marine Airrr) replacement is a DTG. Drop in replacement, better airflow than the Vector Compact, quieter, composite drain pan...

And CTM makes a clone, for less $$$, that gets decent reviews.

-Chris
Old 02-09-2022, 05:13   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

You haven’t meantioned looking directly at the unit yet?

There’s not much to troubleshooting, the raw water only travels through the cooled coaxial tube. If it’s leaked out enough to fill your ducts with seawater, I’d call it a goner. The cost to repair this, as well as knowing you’ve got an old unit that has bees doused with seawater points to a new AC and likely new ducts.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:28   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

A new unit will cost less than the repair and will run quieter and more efficiently.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raw water, water