Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2014, 17:04   #1

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Replacing manual bilge pump gaiter

The rubber gaiter on our manual bilge pump is rotted out, the wooden ring holding it on is rotted out and doesn't even have a backing plate. When you pump the handle, you get a puff of rubber dust as you watch the screws pump out of the deck.

I have purchased a deck plate kit with lid. I have removed all three pieces of what was once a wooden ring. I have pried the rubber gaiter and at least two different adhesives from the deck. I have the West 105, 206 and 406 at the ready to mix up my peanut butter and plug the screw holes.

How am I supposed to get the rubber off of the pump itself? Should I just go ahead and cut away most of it to give myself access through the hole? Send my husband into the lazarette to attack from below?

Also, the directions that come with this deck plate kit have two pages on installing the pump and two lines on installing the plate. I assume the big black ring is to be used as a backing plate. So is the correct order black ring, coaming wall, rubber gaiter, lid plate?
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump