Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2021, 11:55   #1

Tell me about the Hunter 410

They seemed like a great bargain and the brand make wasn't common in our waters.
Huge interiors and very light displacement (9 tonnes) for a 41 footer, very shoal draft at around 5 feet as well.
It is about the performance of a racer with the interior of a sumptuous cruiser on paper at least

I understand that the brand wasn't known as a bluewater boat brand in the states but I have read that this model is marketed as a bluewater boat.

Are these boats a good deal as a performance cruiser or they are too good to be true?
Any weakness for this model one should look out for?
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:09   #2

Boat: Tartan 33
Re: Tell me about the Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
They seemed like a great bargain and the brand make wasn't common in our waters.
Huge interiors and very light displacement (9 tonnes) for a 41 footer, very shoal draft at around 5 feet as well.
It is about the performance of a racer with the interior of a sumptuous cruiser on paper at least

I understand that the brand wasn't known as a bluewater boat brand in the states but I have read that this model is marketed as a bluewater boat.

Are these boats a good deal as a performance cruiser or they are too good to be true?
Any weakness for this model one should look out for?
I do not have a Hunter but not long ago I read a post about this. Without entering into the debate blue water versus production here is what I remember:

1. Hunter does not seem officially certified CE rating A (ocean crossing)
2. Hunter pretends it is but no certification in the boat.

Of course, the certification does not make a good boat or the way around but the criteria to get the certification are at least objectives.
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:15   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Well appointed, excellent ergonomics. Have aged (eg fewer leaks) than Beneteau and Jeanneau. Great for weekends and month of cruising if outfitted with solar and more battery. Good sailing, albeit too much freeboard/ windage.

I’d gladly sail the Carribean, but not to the Pacific islands.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Well appointed, excellent ergonomics. Have aged (eg fewer leaks) than Beneteau and Jeanneau. Great for weekends and month of cruising if outfitted with solar and more battery. Good sailing, albeit too much freeboard/ windage.

I’d gladly sail the Carribean, but not to the Pacific islands.
I see, my waters in around Borneo, SEA and planned to sail up the East Pacific to Taiwan/Japan.
Probably not strong enough compared to lets say a Valiant?
I very much prefer a boat I can race occasionally though it was not my primary criteria.

If the late 90's one are well build
Old 08-09-2021, 20:51   #5

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

We've had our H410 since 2016. Far more things we like about the boat than dislike.

It sails very well. Ours is deep draft with traditional slab reefing. We've had new sails made for the boat,. It sails very nicely and is easy to balance.

We love the interior for coastal cruising, but the aft cabin's bed while being massive (queen sized) and comfortable at anchor goes across the beam, not parallel to it so it isn't a great sea berth. There is lots of stowage down below, two heads, lots of water tankage etc. The forward cabin pullman, and the salon could be set up for a proper sea berth but we haven't bothered as we use the boat primarily as Georgia Straight Cruiser between Desolation Sound and Seattle.

The keel is lead, and the keel sump is very deep for a modern cruiser. Much deeper than similar vintage boats like the Bene 423. If I'm lying on the floor I can just touch the keel bolts with an outstretched arm.

Engine access is excellent, as is access to the dripless/stuffing box. Oil changes, transmission oil changes, fuel filter changes, etc are very easy. We have one electric winch and three non electric. Most the sail hardware is lewmar. We have a max prop and can motor at an easy 7 kts with our 50 hp yanmar.

My dislikes of the boat are pretty limited. I would prefer more lazarette space in the cockpit. There are two lockers behind the cockpit by the swim platform that because of their location get under used. The boom is very long, (21') and high off the cockpit sole. Putting the mainsail away after sailing even with a stackpack takes a bit longer than other boats where I could more easily reach the boom due to our full bimini/dodger. We added a tides track and had a new stack pack made that improved things considerably.. The boat has high free-board and will move around at anchor more than a traditional full keel boat. Either an anchor sail or a good bridle/anchor snubber arrangement helps things settle right down. The only other negative, but is common with most modern designs are that the side decks are fairly high up, and can make stepping off onto a low pier a challenge when the winds are blowing and you're shorthanded.

They are now 20+ years old on the market. One that is well kept would be a great purchase and would likely make you happy. It wouldn't be my first choice for a trans-pac, but to sail from BC to Mexico, or anywhere in the Caribbean I wouldn't hesitate. I know of one owner who crossed the Atlantic twice with his that posts in the Hunter Facebook group. You just need to get onboard one, and take a look at the equipment, layout, etc and see if it suits you.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslandGuy View Post
We've had our H410 since 2016. Far more things we like about the boat than dislike.

It sails very well. Ours is deep draft with traditional slab reefing. We've had new sails made for the boat,. It sails very nicely and is easy to balance.

We love the interior for coastal cruising, but the aft cabin's bed while being massive (queen sized) and comfortable at anchor goes across the beam, not parallel to it so it isn't a great sea berth. There is lots of stowage down below, two heads, lots of water tankage etc. The forward cabin pullman, and the salon could be set up for a proper sea berth but we haven't bothered as we use the boat primarily as Georgia Straight Cruiser between Desolation Sound and Seattle.

The keel is lead, and the keel sump is very deep for a modern cruiser. Much deeper than similar vintage boats like the Bene 423. If I'm lying on the floor I can just touch the keel bolts with an outstretched arm.

Engine access is excellent, as is access to the dripless/stuffing box. Oil changes, transmission oil changes, fuel filter changes, etc are very easy. We have one electric winch and three non electric. Most the sail hardware is lewmar. We have a max prop and can motor at an easy 7 kts with our 50 hp yanmar.

My dislikes of the boat are pretty limited. I would prefer more lazarette space in the cockpit. There are two lockers behind the cockpit by the swim platform that because of their location get under used. The boom is very long, (21') and high off the cockpit sole. Putting the mainsail away after sailing even with a stackpack takes a bit longer than other boats where I could more easily reach the boom due to our full bimini/dodger. We added a tides track and had a new stack pack made that improved things considerably.. The boat has high free-board and will move around at anchor more than a traditional full keel boat. Either an anchor sail or a good bridle/anchor snubber arrangement helps things settle right down. The only other negative, but is common with most modern designs are that the side decks are fairly high up, and can make stepping off onto a low pier a challenge when the winds are blowing and you're shorthanded.

They are now 20+ years old on the market. One that is well kept would be a great purchase and would likely make you happy. It wouldn't be my first choice for a trans-pac, but to sail from BC to Mexico, or anywhere in the Caribbean I wouldn't hesitate. I know of one owner who crossed the Atlantic twice with his that posts in the Hunter Facebook group. You just need to get onboard one, and take a look at the equipment, layout, etc and see if it suits you.
Thanks, I can live with the salon as sea berth.
How about it's on sea behavior, does it hobby horse or it have comfortable motion?

I am looking for one capable of crossing South China Sea or Philippines sea; if it wasn't strong enough to to trans-pac (California to Hawaii) probably it didn't meet my criteria even if it tick other boxes.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:21   #7

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

FWIW, we spent 6 years sailing the Caribbean (in a Whitby 42) and saw a ton of Hunter sailboats down there. Never heard any significant negatives from their owners.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:46   #8

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
.............I understand that the brand wasn't known as a bluewater boat brand in the states but I have read that this model is marketed as a bluewater boat. Are these boats a good deal as a performance cruiser or they are too good to be true? Any weakness for this model one should look out for?
I had a Hunter 386 and now 46 and both are comfortable performance cruisers with a resonably high comfort ratio at an reasonable price point. If I was looking for a bluewaterboat I would use this article as a starting point: https://www.freestateyachts.com/choo...for-bluewater/

Might also post on this site https://forums.sailboatowners.com/ get get their take.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:05   #9

Boat: Stevens 47

A good friend has a 410. I've worked on the boat extensively and did one 250 mile coastal passage.

On the passage, we had 20 to 22 knots true on the port quarter. The boat was reasonably fast on that point of sail, but the motion was a bit abrupt. Mind you the seas off coastal Georgia and South Carolina SUCK in any breeze. The shallow water makes for very confused, short period waves. Heavier displacement boats handle that stuff better, but are, you know, slower. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

The boats are reasonably well put together. I'd prefer one of their deck salon boats, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one on construction grounds.

Scott
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:41   #10

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
I see, my waters in around Borneo, SEA and planned to sail up the East Pacific to Taiwan/Japan.
No, not particularly strong compared to a Valiant. I'd compare a Hunter to a Catalina.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 13:32   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My home marina for many years was a Hunter dealership and one of the nearest to Alachua, Florida where the Hunters were built. I met many Hunter owners over the years and found most very pleased with their vessels. They would well outperform by heavy boat when the winds were less than 20kts.

Sometime around 2005 I was tied to a wharf exposed to an open choppy fetch with winds 35 to 40 pushing us against the dock for a few hours. I had to replace 18 inches of rub rail; however, the Hunter had about an 18 inch hole ground through the hull well above the waterline, but exposed to much rain an splash.

I saw the same Hunter on the hard in Hilton Head about a year later with the repair not completed. I was told that water had wicked along the laminate layers of the hull along most of the entire length of the port side and also exposed to some short freeze/thaw nights. A few years later the boat remained as a total loss.

I know this is an anecdotal account of one Hunter, but it stands for a need to protect these light weight boats from hull damage and have them well surveyed.
Old 09-09-2021, 13:59   #12

Boat: Moody 41AC

Assume you are considering what we call a Hunter Legend? There is a strong association in the Uk so you might find some info there .
Dreamcatcher34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 14:47   #13

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
I very much prefer a boat I can race occasionally though it was not my primary criteria.

Assuming that is where the boat you are considering is located, it got there. So much for the "coastal cruiser" suggestion.

Regardless, many have successfully done long passages.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 15:30   #14

Boat: csy 37

The rudders fall off.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 15:40   #15

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

Quote:
Thanks, I can live with the salon as sea berth.
How about it's on sea behavior, does it hobby horse or it have comfortable motion?

I am looking for one capable of crossing South China Sea or Philippines sea; if it wasn't strong enough to to trans-pac (California to Hawaii) probably it didn't meet my criteria even if it tick other boxes.
No concerns at all with the strength of the boat. However for Vancouver to Hawaii, one of the longest point to point routes on the globe with zero places to stop along the way, I would prefer more waterline, and ideally would like to be in a catamaran designed for long distance cruising. The boat could do it, its just not my preferred vessel for going 30 continuous days at sea.

The biggest strike against the boat for what you are planning is that with the B&R rig, the gains made upwind are lost going dead downwind. I generally find sailing 20 degrees off dead downwind and gybing to course provides a better VMG and less rolling. I like the B&R rigs advantages enough that I can live with less performance on a dead run.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter