Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2021, 22:14   #1

Mason 43

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...on-43-3217896/
Seemed like a lot of boat for $40k.
But the companion way seemed tall and steep.
The layout wasn't very good as well, like the head is too far from the cockpit and quite squirrelly for the size.

What are your thoughts and experience, how does it sail?
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 05:50   #2

Boat: Brewer 12.8
Re: Mason 43

My dad has one, and while I've only done one daysail one it; I helped him do a lot of refit work over the last decade. I can say that they are very well-built boats, and definitely a boat I'd trust for some long passages.

The one downside in my mind is that the layout of the cockpit and the companionway makes setting up a good bimini a little tricky.
Macdyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 11:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdyver View Post
My dad has one, and while I've only done one daysail one it; I helped him do a lot of refit work over the last decade. I can say that they are very well-built boats, and definitely a boat I'd trust for some long passages.

The one downside in my mind is that the layout of the cockpit and the companionway makes setting up a good bimini a little tricky.
It is quite heavy and full keel and all, would it be too much a boat for shorthanded cruising?
Old 17-09-2021, 12:03   #4

Boat: Brewer 12.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
It is quite heavy and full keel and all, would it be too much a boat for shorthanded cruising?

I suppose that depends a bit on your personal comfort level, but it certainly seems manageable to me. I met a fellow at anchor in West Palm who had been (primarily) single-handing his for several years, and he had lots of good things to say about the boat. He wasn't the sort who tended to sit at the dock either; he had put quite a few miles on the boat, and most of those under sail.
Macdyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 12:42   #5

They replaced the standing rigging 7 years ago, that's a plus. There's no hours listed on the engine, that might require replacing, and there's no mention of a gen set.

Cool boat.
Old 17-09-2021, 13:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Water View Post
They replaced the standing rigging 7 years ago, that's a plus. There's no hours listed on the engine, that might require replacing, and there's no mention of a gen set.

Cool boat.
It has a Perkins 4108, I imagine it must be as old as the boat.

There is another Perry 41 in much better condition asking for 29k more.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ry-41-3254665/
I think I like the Perry more and it have more things included in sale, but it is 29k more (maybe negotiable) but I need to do a bit of travel, and the borders isn't open.
Old 20-09-2021, 05:53   #7

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I had a Mason 44, which is the same hull with a redesigned cockpit, companionway and interior. Build quality was very good and she was quite comfortable. Sailed well, but she has a 15' boom and a very large mainsail. They are initially tender, so you need to reef at 15kts. They are difficult to get on/off the dock, as the turning radius is large and they do not respond to the rudder very well while reversing. I loved the boat. She was beautiful and got positive comments everywhere I took her. In the end, she was too large for me so I sold her and got a Hans Christian 33 instead.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 07:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
I had a Mason 44, which is the same hull with a redesigned cockpit, companionway and interior. Build quality was very good and she was quite comfortable. Sailed well, but she has a 15' boom and a very large mainsail. They are initially tender, so you need to reef at 15kts. They are difficult to get on/off the dock, as the turning radius is large and they do not respond to the rudder very well while reversing. I loved the boat. She was beautiful and got positive comments everywhere I took her. In the end, she was too large for me so I sold her and got a Hans Christian 33 instead.
Thank you for your reply on youtube.
(If you are Charles H. there right?)
Yeah, I think it would be a wonderful family boat, so it might be too large for me even it was a great deal.
Old 20-09-2021, 07:27   #9

I had a customer that had a Mason, pretty sure it was a 36. She was absolutely bristol when he first got her, he then proceeded to change that,

One of the things he did was leave her un attended on land for two years so the bilge could fill with water over the cabin sole. When the vessel went back in the water and shorepower connected the bilge pumped and then the contents of the fuel tank emptied into the bilge (formerly held in by the bilge water over the tank)and then that got pumped out.

Interesting scene the next morning,

Anyhow, back on point. The fuel tank was built in. Very built in. I have dealt with several boats over the years with this idiotic design and most can be replaced in a manner that does not leave scars. Not cheap of course.

It was simply not possible with this one. No where could I open up the cabin sole , replace the tank and re instal the cabin sole without it being obvious. And I am very good at this.

Anyhow, that might be something to think on. I believe that any vessel (serious vessel that is) built with a tank that cannot be removed/replaced is severely flawed and if built with that thought process then there must be other flaws just waiting to show themselves at the worst possible moment.

This post is for the OP, not interested in argueing or dealing with the trolls.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 12:26   #10

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Thank you for your reply on youtube.
(If you are Charles H. there right?)
Yeah, I think it would be a wonderful family boat, so it might be too large for me even it was a great deal.
Ha, yes. I didn't realize that you were who I was responding to here. Good luck in your search!
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 16:38   #11

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...on-43-3217896/
Seemed like a lot of boat for $40k.
But the companion way seemed tall and steep.
The layout wasn't very good as well, like the head is too far from the cockpit and quite squirrelly for the size.

What are your thoughts and experience, how does it sail?
This guy has a good blog about his Mason 44-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrg...szE1JSzYCmj9Yg
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 03:50   #12

Boat: Pape 42’ Aluminum Cutter

That boat has been for sale a LONG time. Tom Cunliffe has a a 44’ that he likes a lot. You can go to his YouTube channel and look at his videos. I also Bob Perry comments on these boats and he’s not a fan, FWiW. (Edit: I just noticed Toms channel is posted in above post)
Northernguy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 05:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernguy59 View Post
That boat has been for sale a LONG time. Tom Cunliffe has a a 44’ that he likes a lot. You can go to his YouTube channel and look at his videos. I also Bob Perry comments on these boats and he’s not a fan, FWiW. (Edit: I just noticed Toms channel is posted in above post)
Tom Cunliffe is a big heavy Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter kind of guy, his taste as well as view on boats are different from Perry's.