Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 09:12   #16

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Re: Searunner cruising speed vs other trimarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post
For a PHRF (Performance Handicap Racing Formula) rating on some popular multihulls, go to this website: www.ussailling.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/2017=PHRF-Fleets-By-Class.pdf
and then to Pages 30, 31. There are various ratings for many of the models,
link doesn't work for me
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 15:07   #17

Boat: 2 tris and others

I have one of those old Crowther 33, it is not as fast as a Corsair 31, but still faster than most similar sized mono's. I easily race to an 81 phrf rating, real world performance is about the same as a modern 40-45 foot monohull cruiser. They have a LOT more space of course. For short cruises, I would still prefer my tri- it has about double the speed in light air of most non-race boats and is really easy to sail, it sails flat which is much more comfortable, and gets into shallow places that most boats with a keel can't go. I sometimes beach it in the right places. I consider it more a camper cruiser but Crowthers have made some long passages.

B
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 15:35   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've owned a variety of multihulls over 35 years. You can have fast, comfortable, or inexpensive. You can even have two out of three.

• Fast and comfortable. Probably a performance cat. The price of a house. Out of reach.
  • Comfortable and reasonably affordable. A number of cats. Not real affordable and many are not much faster than monos. My PDQ was faster than a mono (8-10 knots was a good bucket), quite comfortable, but not like a beach cat and not cheap.
  • Fast and inexpensive. An older F- or C-boat. If you are willing to cruise rather primitively there are additional options. Skinny beds and no cabin to speak of. But I like my F-24 for daysailing. I cruised a Stiletto 27 twenty years ago.

Tags
cruising, Searunner, trimaran