Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 22:35   #1

Thoughts on Admiral 38?

Hi,
Looking at purchasing my first Catamaran as a live-aboard. The Lagoons and Leopards seem very popular but are also a lot more expensive. There is a 2008 Admiral 38 for sale. After viewing it looks a bit a bit rough around the edges and needs some TLC which is largely cosmetic. The space inside seems generous and it feels a lot bigger in the main cabin area when to compared to a leopard or lagoon 38. Is anyone currently sailing an Admiral 38 as I would love to hear what you and others think?

Many thanks
Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:00   #2

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'
Re: Thoughts on Admiral 38?

This might be what you are looking for.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nfo-24336.html

Sean
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:23   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

It seems bigger because they are in fact wider than other 38' cats.

Also they feel bigger inside because they are open all the way across. One downside to this design is that the air flow in the rear cabins tends to be poor.

Can't comment on how they sail.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by disputin View Post
This might be what you are looking for.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nfo-24336.html

Sean
Thanks Sean, Yep I had seen that one and it has some good info. Im super keen to track down anyone who owns one at the moment. Fingers crossed they are on this forum.

Cheers,
Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:28   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

I delivered one from Greece to Delaware and another from Grenada to Annapolis. They are good sailers, do very well in up to Force 9 (didn't like the elements of the F10 but managed it!) and have an acceptable light wind performance. Good load carriers with the caveat that the more weight you put on a cat, the more degraded her performance will be.
Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 13:02   #6

Wow! I have not come across this cat before but I'm very impressed. This one would be fine with me.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 14:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell View Post
Hi,
Looking at purchasing my first Catamaran as a live-aboard. The Lagoons and Leopards seem very popular but are also a lot more expensive. There is a 2008 Admiral 38 for sale. After viewing it looks a bit a bit rough around the edges and needs some TLC which is largely cosmetic. The space inside seems generous and it feels a lot bigger in the main cabin area when to compared to a leopard or lagoon 38. Is anyone currently sailing an Admiral 38 as I would love to hear what you and others think?

Many thanks
All you basically need is a solid long bimini over the whole helm and cockpit, and you're pretty set with solar space and shade. Heck, based on how much you saved and spent on your boat, you can technically make one and put in the works like embedded LEDs, outside showers, rain catcher.
Gin-N-Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 18:50   #8

Boat: Admiral Executive 38’ Catamaran

We purchased our 2006 38’ Executive last July. Brought it up from Ft. Lauderdale and then the weather turned so we came inside to the ICW. She handled both venues neatly. Bit of a low bridge clearance but manageable.
Ours had an overheating problem during the survey. I replaced the two 17” props with 16” suggested by Yanmar and Flex o fold. Increased speed to almost 8 knots with no overheating. Cruising at 2900, flat out close to 3600 .
We are doing a refit now with new sails and rigging, replaced some plumbing. Looking to go cruising in about a year.
Very pleased with her performance in sea and ICW. Wish i could tell you more. Impressed with tankage and all the offshore rigging on ours.

Let me know if you have questions.
Act Three is offline   Reply With Quote