Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2018, 06:47   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Panama to the Marquesas in cyclone season

My original plan was to be doing the South Pacific crossing right now, but we all know how sailing plans go. Anyway, I'll be crossing next season, and am looking into making an early jump over to the Marquesas at the end of the year, and waiting out the cyclone season there. I would be planning an October or November canal transit, and would begin the crossing in December, putting me in the Marquesas in January, and leaving me 2 or 3 months to explore those islands before setting off west.

Though the stretch of the South Pacific from Panama to the Marquesas is not affected by tropical systems, I'm wondering if the weather is particularly unsettled that time of year?

I'm also curious if the Marquesas offers enough in the way of provisioning, and at what cost? Once we're there, we're stuck until the cyclone season is over...
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 09:10   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Panama to the Marquesas in cyclone season

You can provision fine in the Marquesas. If nothing else you can live off baguettes.
Do you have a long stay visa for French Polynesia?

Tags
marquesas, Panama