Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2020, 18:59   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee perry 35
Best sealant for plastic to bronze plumbing fittings

We are replacing a (just above) water seacock for the toilet seacock.

It's a 1 1/2 inch bronze ball valve, BSPP female female threaded.

The hose barb attachment can be either 'marelon' plastic (BSPP male to barb) or stainless 316 (BSPP male to barb).

Most of the seacocks onboard are bronze, with marelon plastic fittings, but I cannot tell what sealant has been used in the join.

I usually use pink (thicker high quality) teflon tape for my pressure plumbing joints, and have never had a leak - though this is much larger (1 1/2 inch) than usual plumbing joints which are mostly 15mm here in Australia.

I know that female plastic and male metal fittings will lead to cracking, but this is a male plastic fitting to a female brass fitting, so this shouldn't apply.

But, what is the correct sealant to use between the brass and plastic? Or, I can buy a stainless hose barb, but it is 6 times more expensive, and will presumably have a galvanic reaction with the seacock.
Wixlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 19:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Best sealant for plastic to bronze plumbing fittings

I know that female plastic and male metal fittings will lead to cracking, but this is a male plastic fitting to a female brass fitting, so this shouldn't apply.

But, what is the correct sealant to use between the brass and plastic? Or, I can buy a stainless hose barb, but it is 6 times more expensive, and will presumably have a galvanic reaction with the seacock

You did mean to say bronze, not brass???

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 19:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
[I]

You did mean to say bronze, not brass???

--Peggie
I did indeed. Might I say that the reason for all these changes is part of the 'refresh' of the head, which I planned after recently reading your excellent book (for those who are interested - it's available on kindle, which made it super easy).

We found the hoses were all permeated using your hot water cloth test, one thing leads to another, and we're refreshing all the plumbing and replacing the head.

For the threads, I am happy with PTFE tape or PTFE cord, I also have loctite pipe dope (but find that it is way too runny usually, and leaves a residue). Traditionally I've always used teflon tape, but now feel teflon cord is probably just as good and much easier. Just not sure what to use with plastic/bronze
Old 04-10-2020, 20:00   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

You can just use the PTFE tape as well, just gotta be careful not to overtighten.

Used plenty on larger than 38mm screwed pipe. Or do you mean you want to use a sealant as well as tape?
Loctite 5331 is ok for plastic, bit pricey for a single joint though
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 20:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
You can just use the PTFE tape as well, just gotta be careful not to overtighten.

Used plenty on larger than 38mm screwed pipe. Or do you mean you want to use a sealant as well as tape?
Loctite 5331 is ok for plastic, bit pricey for a single joint though
Great, thanks. Is there a consensus about whether PTFE tape or PTFE cord/thread (e.g. loctite 55) is better for yachts?
Old 05-10-2020, 09:50   #6

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Any sealant compatible with the plastic pipe should work. I would stay away from any that harden, as it will be an issue if you have to break the joint some time in the future.

In my experience, the biggest problem with metal male to plastic female connections is that people over-tighten the connection. As NPT connections are tapered (not sure about BSP) this stresses the female connector and causes it to split.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:00   #7

I'd just use teflon tape on plastic to avoid any possible interaction. Be careful tightening plastic fittings, you can often tighten them readily until they crack or distort . They dont really bind up like metal telling you you're tight enough.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:14   #8

I have used Rector Seal T plus 2 for years, I think it as good as it gets. Works on most every type of pipe/tubing.

https://rectorseal.com/product/rectorseal-t-plus-2/
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 16:25   #9

Use the teflon. Don't over tighten. Check it out after a few days. If it it leaks at all there will probably be some green on the bronze. Tighten a wee bit more. This is not a hot or high pressure joint so sealing will not be severely tested. If it does go belly up, shut off the valve and try again. That's what the valve is for.
I had two similar arrangements and got away with a bit of petroleum jelly. No leaking after ten years.
I am not sure that the plastic hose tail needs to be an expensive one. The thread is under compression as it's screwing into a female thread so it is "safer". Not under any real load unless the hose is moved around too much.

I would be more concerned with ensuring that the hole cut out for the valve skin fitting is absolutely water proofed particularly if the hull is composite. Don't spare the epoxy.
Use a proper marine sealant under the skin fitting and under the inside backing plate. Not silicon.
Re brass or bronze. Brass is for garden plumbing and fresh water. Bronze is for boats. (The exception being LPG gas or refrigeration, where there is no (hopefully) sea water.) Use bronze only. Do not mix brass with bronze as the zinc in the brass will "leave" in very short time causing all sorts of problems. Bronze skin fitting, bronze valve.
When using the loo, it is important that you can sit back and admire your plumbing.(sic) That one may not get past the moderator.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:58   #10

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hi BSP can be either parallel or tapered
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnn33 View Post
Hi BSP can be either parallel or tapered
John
Many thanks all for the ideas. Interesting to hear what works in reality. John yes - they're BSPP (parallel)

Tags
bronze, plumbing, sealant