Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 10:00   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
Best bilge pump for my application?

I have never been content with my bilge pump capability. Because of the shallow bilge Beneteau put a Jabsco pump behind the settee with a hose to the sump in bilge to draw up water; it might do 4-500 GPH on a good day. I don't have room under the sole for a serious 1500 or 2000 GPH pump and it would be difficult to run another hose (there are currently two; one for the Jabsco and one for the manual pump).

I am thinking that I could increase my pump capacity via a pump not permanently installed that could be used in an emergency when onboard or when I leave the boat. Only the mounting bracket would be permanently installed so the pump could be quickly secured in the bilge with sole board lifted up. I would attach the output hose to a thru-hull in a fabricated companionway board about 10' away and 4.5' up. Any water pumped up and out into cockpit would flow out the open transom. Depending on where I store it, it could be operational in a minute.

I have not heard good things about auto bilge pumps but a switch would complicate matters. The low profile pumps don't seem to have large capacity.
Boat is 34' monohull. What pump might you recommend?
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:18   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Best bilge pump for my application?

Discussion on the forum has centered on float switches and all the reasons to hate them. Concensus is in favor of the Water Witch electronic switch, which costs about $40. Your plan to install a somewhat higher-up OH MY GAWD pump is quite reasonable. Yes, do discharge it above the waterline, and where you can see it working. Find yourself a big one, and centrifugal so you can't burn it out.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump