Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2015, 14:23   #16
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Texas live aboard 23 foot long

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
FYI, that quote was actually by General William Tecumseh Sherman. Having lived many years in Texas, and visited Hell, I would disagree; but not by much...
Don't Mess With Texas.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 15:09   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

FWIW here in the pnw they have a requirement of a minimum of 15 gallon black water holding tank and most vessels under the low to mid 30 's usually don't have that big of a holding tank try to convince them you have a large enough holding tank to be a liveaboard there.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 05:35   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
FWIW here in the pnw they have a requirement of a minimum of 15 gallon black water holding tank and most vessels under the low to mid 30 's usually don't have that big of a holding tank try to convince them you have a large enough holding tank to be a liveaboard there.
Do they allow for composting heads?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 05:55   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
FYI, that quote was actually by General William Tecumseh Sherman. Having lived many years in Texas, and visited Hell, I would disagree; but not by much...
“19 December 1883, Washington Post, pg. 2:
General Sheridan as a Story Teller.

“I saw an item in THE POST, several days ago,” said an Army officer yesterday, “concerning Gen. Sheridan’s desire to avoid notoriety, and also that only a few anecdotes could be related of his public life. The story was correct but not complete. The General frequently relates a story himself which I consider the most amusing concerning his military career. He told it the other evening at a private social gathering, about as follows:
“In all my life, gentlemen, I will never forget my first visit to the State of Texas. I had been bumped over its sterile plains for a week in an ambulance. I was tired, dusty and worn out. When I reached my destination I found some people there who wanted me to talk and be received and all that sort of thing, before I had a chance to get the sand out of my eyes and ears. One fellow was persistent. He asked me with pure American curiosity what I though of Texas. In a moment of worry and annoyance I said if I owned hell and Texas, I would live in the former and rent out the latter.
The fellow who asked me the question proved to be a reporter. The next day, what I had said was in print and I never could stop it.’ You may naturally believe,” added the officer to THE POST, “that the General’s story created considerable amusement. The General is a remarkably fine story teller.”

From ➥ Sheridan, Hell and Texas | The American CatholicThe American Catholic

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 06:47   #20

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Don't Mess With Texas.

Ralph
Proud of ya Trouble
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 07:48   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Do they allow for composting heads?
That I do not know. The requirement for holding tankage is written in o the liveaboard agreement I would have to ask someone this next week and get back with you. One question I'm sure to be asked what do you do with the urine collected from the composing head?
Old 30-08-2015, 08:04   #22

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

If the urine question comes up, I have a 5-gallon container that can be used for storage until it can be dumped at a toilet on shore.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 08:23   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

If it were legal, those with ecological concerns might not be adverse to dumping urine overboard as it is not commonly a source of transmitting pathogens and it has a low in nutrient content.
..... if it were legal!
Old 30-08-2015, 08:33   #24

Boat: Hunter 27

I don't believe anyone has mentioned the Kemah Boardwalk Marina off of Clear Lake and the Galveston Bay. Have had our 27 foot hunter there now for two years; very clean and nice facilities/clubhouse/showers/work shed area/ weekly pump-out services/pool/hot tub. There are 3 live-a-boards on our dock who we know well, have not heard of any concerns or issues from them. Management has been easy to work with; good security.

No bus services in the area, however, easy walking/biking distance to at least 10-12 places to eat. Target, Walmart, Home Depot are all close by (2-4 blocks). Very busy traffic wise during the major holidays, however, sounds like you wont have a car so this should not be an issue.

Just paid my slip fee for Sept; $268.00. Good luck on your search.

Mike
mwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 08:34   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
If it were legal, those with ecological concerns might not be adverse to dumping urine overboard as it is not commonly a source of transmitting pathogens and it has a low in nutrient content.
..... if it were legal!
Agreed and actually urine from a healthy person is actually sterile prior to leaving the body but if pee were legal some would also discharge feces using the urine is legal so why not mentality. Not to digress.
Old 30-08-2015, 17:26   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells View Post
I don't believe anyone has mentioned the Kemah Boardwalk Marina off of Clear Lake and the Galveston Bay. Have had our 27 foot hunter there now for two years; very clean and nice facilities/clubhouse/showers/work shed area/ weekly pump-out services/pool/hot tub. There are 3 live-a-boards on our dock who we know well, have not heard of any concerns or issues from them. Management has been easy to work with; good security.

No bus services in the area, however, easy walking/biking distance to at least 10-12 places to eat. Target, Walmart, Home Depot are all close by (2-4 blocks). Very busy traffic wise during the major holidays, however, sounds like you wont have a car so this should not be an issue.

Just paid my slip fee for Sept; $268.00. Good luck on your search.

Mike

I am over at seabrook, if I decide to stay in the area, that is where it will be. kemah seems to be the coolest area ive been to around here.
petrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 06:12   #27

Boat: Hunter 27

Petrified:

Send me email sometime, we can meet for breakfast, lunch or a drink.

Always enjoy meeting other local sailors.

Mike
mwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 07:03   #28

Boat: Island Packet 35

The only marina in Texas that I can think of that has bus transportation around it and connected to the Gulf would be Corpus Municipal or Ocean Drive marina if they are even in business. But, there are no stores around it for shopping, you would have to take the bus.

Kemah Boardwalk and Legends Point are within walking distance of a grocery store and Home Depot. Portifino has rentals and liveaboards, but they are picky about the age and condition of the boat. Southshore is within walking distance to a grocery store.

As the economy recovers, more and more are getting picky about the size for liveaboards and wait lists have come back after a long hiatus. Watergate and Waterford have the best docks with double floating fingers. Houston Metro Bus service does not get close to Clear Lake or even the rebuilt Bayland Marina that would make it attractive.

Texas is not an easy place to live in without a car.

Corpus Christi is one of the best kept secrets for sailing.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 17:16   #29

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

The Baytown bus service runs a couple of blocks from Bayland but I don't think it ties to Houston Metro.

There is no live aboard fee.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 31-08-2015, 18:30   #30

Marina del Sol in Kemah is the cheapest in the area and has no limits on size. Might be just your ticket.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas