Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 04:06   #1

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36
Cost of Standing Rigging Repalcement

Just recieved a quote for replacement of the standing rigging on my boat. She is an 04 Beneteau 361. I am in the Middle Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia and thought it would be competitive there, But I really dont have any experience in the cost of this work and have nothing to judge it with.

Cost to unstep and restep while on the hard by my yard is around $2,400, cost to repalce the rigging is $6,800. So, $9,200 is my final cost. I really expected less and am surprized.

Do any of you folks have any experience in rerigging similar sized, (36 ft.) sloop rigged boats?

Thanks in advance for your opionions, advice.
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:18   #2

Re: Cost of Standing Rigging Repalcement

2400 to pull and restep the mast is s bit expensive

Don’t know your rigging style Number of spreaders , tip cups Roller fuel type , mast boot type ...

Some rigging styles are expensive to service

Also it’s not clear the level of mast detailing in the estimate

A rig pull and rigging replace normally means a complete mast service , all components dissembled cleaned greased.....
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:04   #3

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36

Its deck stepped, with double spreaders, roller furling, with split backstay.
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:15   #4

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Might want to check w/ yards in coastal Carolina, Beneteau can not ship them from the factory near I-95 with the mast up!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:16   #5

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

Unstepping and stepping my mast on a 46 foot Ted Brewer was $200 an hour crane fee which included an operator and rigger. Plus myself and one other person helped get-turnbuckles loose or reinstalled and pinned. I believe crane time was $800 total plus a additional $180 in wages for one additional worker. I didn’t pay myself. I did the derrigging and rigging myself with one good helper. Shopped around for good prices on 3/8 inch stainless 316 cable 1 spool of 500 feet. Plus I need one length of 1/2 inch wire for the fore stay. Just a guess that total labor on the rigging with myself helping came to $300. Materials was around $2000. Which included new stalocs on all the uppers. So stalocs top and bottom. Reused the bottom ones with new cones.
Not included was I replaced all electric in mast wire and new wind instrument.
Riggers tape on the end of the four speakers plus new mast boot.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:27   #6

The last mast I had pulled , a 40 footer , was 400 out 400 in

This included labor and the rental of roller mast cars to move the rig on the ground , plus a storage fee

The OP indicated that he will have the mast pulled while the boat is out of the water

This is s complicated process and may require a special extra long length reach crane plus additional manpower
Old 12-03-2020, 05:31   #7

Boat: Lunstroo Marwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripfast View Post
Just recieved a quote for replacement of the standing rigging on my boat. She is an 04 Beneteau 361. I am in the Middle Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia and thought it would be competitive there, But I really dont have any experience in the cost of this work and have nothing to judge it with.

Cost to unstep and restep while on the hard by my yard is around $2,400, cost to repalce the rigging is $6,800. So, $9,200 is my final cost. I really expected less and am surprized.

Do any of you folks have any experience in rerigging similar sized, (36 ft.) sloop rigged boats?

Thanks in advance for your opionions, advice.

I replaced standing and running rigging for 9.000 euro. Including all cost for placing etc. I stayed at that marina for about 4 months for free. The cheapest option at the time was about 6.000 euro. (in Netherlands.)

you could try to find old stock / unpaid mast for discounted price?
Old 12-03-2020, 05:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamins View Post
I replaced standing and running rigging for 9.000 euro. Including all cost for placing etc. I stayed at that marina for about 4 months for free. The cheapest option at the time was about 6.000 euro. (in Netherlands.)

you could try to find old stock / unpaid mast for discounted price?
Sounds about right

The 40 footer was 7800 British pounds including ten days dockage
Some detailing labor was added by me and not accounted for
Old 12-03-2020, 05:36   #9

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

I reread my post and think materials came closer to $3000 and not the $2000 I stated. My rig is a cutter with twin back stays.
Your cost for the same work should be less than 2/3 of my costs if you help with everything and source your own materials. I was able to get contractor prices on most materials.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:36   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Seems rather execssive to me. I had my masts dropped in an annapolis yard in prep for transport and they did both masts (ketch) for around $600, which seems to be average. from my experience in the U.S. (Only cost me $200 each way up here in Canada)

The cost to replace the rig also seems high. Its pretty simple. all you do is label and remove the wires and replicate. shouldn't cost more than $3k. I replaced my entire standing rig for $3900 CAD and that is 13 stays (main, mizzen and Triatic)

shop around.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:43   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 37

I agree that is pretty expensive. Replaced my 30' rigging last year myself. Material costs was $1200, and that included $200 for new insulators for backstay. This is in SoCal, not exactly a cheap area for marine supplies.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:36   #12

Depends, if they bring in a crane to get to where your boat is on the hard that sounds about right with the minimum time charges from a crane service for two trips.

Not really enough details to make a valid call.
No idea about material costs there for rigging.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:37   #13

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

As Slug and SiberianHusky point out...if the boat is on the hard, then most boat yards would not have a crane with enough reach to unstep the mast. Some of that cost may be for a crane rental.

If you don't have an itemized cost of goods/services from the yard, everything here is a WAG.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:23   #14

Boat: Norseman 447cc

$2400 sounds a bit high to unstep and step for a deck stepped mast. I paid $2400 for a 63' dual spreader mast that had spar-tite installed the wrong way which made pulling the mast something of a nightmare. Mine was in the water and the yard has a crane by the waterside to pull, it would have been at least another $1,000 if a crane had to be brought in to pull it. The cost on the actual rigging sounds about right depending on what they are using, I used hy-mods for everything and the boat is cutter rigged with roller furlers on everything, SSB insulators for the back stay, a new topping lift, and new rigging for the running back stays. I think the total for all of that, plus fixing some corrosion on the spreaders ran about $9,200.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:27   #15

Probably not very helpful but the standing rigging on my Starlight 35 was €3200 in Corfu in 2018. The crane was separate and that was €100 each way.
pjwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rigging