Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 09:34   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 373
Crossing the Atlantic on a 2001 Jeanneau 37

Hi all,

What do you think the feasibility of crossing the Atlantic (Canaries to the Caribbean) on a 2001 Jeanneau 37 is? There is a marked lack of info online on whether she could face the Atlantic or not (in of itself not hugely encouraging)

Take these ones here as an example:
https://www.yachtworld.fr/boats/2001...ey-37-3243884/

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...ey-37-3245956/

If you had €55,000 to spend and wanted a minimum of 35 feet what would you buy? Objective: liveaboard, Med cruising and an Atlantic crossing for Caribbean cruising.

Eager to hear your thoughts!

Cheers!
HighTide9000
HighTide9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:18   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Crossing the Atlantic on a 2001 Jeanneau 37

It sounds from the nature of your questions that your experience is the real concern. It sounds like a dream, which you should pursue, but which is at this point still a dream. Plenty of people have done it in less capable boats. William Willis crossed the Pacific on a shorter raft, and then disappeared in the Atlantic in a pram. The pram made it, for crying out loud.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Willis_(sailor).

My concern at the core is your experience in heavy weather. Next would be all the other experiences with off-shore cruising. Nav, repairs, plan B, all that.

You like the J37? Buy one. Take up coastal cruising. When you tire of that and want to go across Atlantic, then dream that part and build to it. It was my dream, and I've got the boat, but found after about six years of coastal and Bahamas, and 2 1/2 years of live aboard, that I'm married to a non-trans-Atlantic mate, and there are lots of adventures still ahead between 70 and 100 West Long.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:24   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Szymon Kuczynski on a 22 ft yacht did a solo circumnavigation.
So this Jeanneau should be OK.
A lot if not all depends on the sailor and the preparation of the boat.

From the article in Sailuniverse:
"In 2013, he sailed back and forward across the Atlantic Ocean on his self-built, 5m long yacht, “Lilla My” as part of a ‘Call to the Ocean’ race."
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crossing the Atlantic on a 2001 Jeanneau 37

Its not the boat, its the skipper..
Suggest you spend a few years sailing the W coast of Europe and the Med before doing the Transat easy though it can be.. mainly downwind and favourable current all the way.
Once you gain faith in your own abilities and skill, faith in the boat increases expotentially.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:20   #5

I lived aboard a Jeanneau 36i for 2+ years, cruising coastal, and loved it. It would make a great boat for gaining experience.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...n-odyssey-36i/
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:28   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Sunsail the charter yacht people had a fleet of them in the Solent for a decade, perhaps over 30 yachts. By heck they got their monies worth out of those boats week in week out being sailed by complete novices with a professional skipper. When they moved up to the 40.1 they sold the 37s off and they went like hot cakes all be it at a good price. If they survived that and including a couple sinking, lifted and put back into charter then they can't be that bad.

I suspect you are looking at ex charter versions and nowt wrong with that, so long as the price reflects perhaps a few more hours on the engine and a bit more wear and tear down below. On the up side they will have been serviced regularly and any problems fixed straight away.

You could look back at the fleets which have completed the ARC over the years which will show that an awful lot of ordinary production yachts have sailed across the Atlantic.

https://www.worldcruising.com/arc/event.aspx

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 14:15   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

Going in that direction seems to be less arduous than the other way. Lots of people seem to manage in boats that aren’t Colin Archer double-enders. IMHO Jeanneaux seem to be built a touch more sturdily than many of their Beneteau cousins (same parent company- like GM makes both Chevrolet and Cadillac.)
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 14:36   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Yes I would agree with that. Remember looking at a mid 1980s Jen 34 and whilst a standard boat had been built with carbon fibre in the hull bow section.

I think the one below was an ex sunsail support yacht which YM had some fun trying to destroy over the course of a series of videos.

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 15:14   #9

Boat: no boat any more

I’d look for one with less engine hours & more draft, but certainly no reservations because of Jeanneau.
Here in the anchorage min 2 sunshine (much older), any number of Bavaria’s & other boats generally badmouthed as “blue water-unsuitable youghurt Containers, & they all sailed here, they weren’t shipped
Old 08-12-2019, 08:45   #10

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

I wonder how our ancestors crossed oceans , OFC it can, follow the correct route , weather window, have competent crew , hands on and can do skipper no problems , no need for water tight doors , steel hull , experienced captain, good crew, well built ship did I mention the Titanic.
They who would not are just scared those who can and have have faith
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:52   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

OMG the OP is going to die on the that boat

Just kidding
Old 08-12-2019, 09:43   #12

West to Wast via Bermuda In the late spring, Med to Carribean via Canaries late fall is one thing, bashing around the northern Atlantic is another. Weather patterns are more stable offshore, and there's nothing to bump into. Going around Hatteras in November is far more challenging than being offshore.
pelagic71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:18   #13

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Older french regulation for sail boat had what they called categories:

A categorie 1: ''Pemiere catégorie'' means the boat certified for blue water off shore sailing

A categorie 2: ''Second catégorie'' means the boat is good for sailing 200nm away from a shelderred area. Meaning basically 400nm maximum range.

Check what catégorie this boat was certified for. It will give you at least a starter.

Since 2015(?) , the french categorie regulation has been deprecated, replaced by a european standard. Since this boat is pre-euro regulation, you should be able to find that information
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:54   #14

I sailed a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37 centre boarder in 2000 from Flocerterboard rida to St Martin, to weather in heavy seas no problem save a broken traveller end stop and heavy breathing from the centerboard lifting line opening inside.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 13:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
Since 2015(?) , the french categorie regulation has been deprecated, replaced by a european standard. Since this boat is pre-euro regulation, you should be able to find that information
The EU's Recreational Craft Directive, which came into force in 1998, introduced the Category A, B. C, D system.
I would be very surprised if the OP's boat is not Cat A as the 1999 version certainly is.
grahamj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, jeanneau