Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2019, 20:30   #46

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: Crossing the Atlantic on a 2001 Jeanneau 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTide9000 View Post
Hi all,

What do you think the feasibility of crossing the Atlantic (Canaries to the Caribbean) on a 2001 Jeanneau 37 is? There is a marked lack of info online on whether she could face the Atlantic or not (in of itself not hugely encouraging)

Take these ones here as an example:
https://www.yachtworld.fr/boats/2001...ey-37-3243884/

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...ey-37-3245956/

If you had €55,000 to spend and wanted a minimum of 35 feet what would you buy? Objective: liveaboard, Med cruising and an Atlantic crossing for Caribbean cruising.

Eager to hear your thoughts!

Cheers!
HighTide9000
The second one seems to be better outfitted but is ready for new standing rigging and some navigation electronics (twenty years is too old for these things even though the Raytheon units were well respected in their day, that day has passed. The sails are also getting a bit long in the tooth but may be okay for awhile.

With the proper crew you could circumnavigate with this boat and easily do the Atlantic both ways.

Note: the asking price of any boat is what the PO is hoping to get but they will often accept at least 10% less. This one looks like it could max out at about 20,000 US by the time you get it up to snuff (new electronics, standing rigging and sails) But do get it surveyed (goes for any boat you buy) some things you can't see can cost a fortune to fix - assuming they can be fixed.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 22:07   #47

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Boat: Jeanneau SunFast 43
Send a message via Skype™ to OzDean

I have not done the ocean crossing you envisage but have done many miles offshore east coast Australia. I had a good look at the jeanneau 37s a few years ago, preferred the Sun Fast 37 due to specs for keel, hardware, lines and rig, same jeanneau 37 hull though. For example traveller is in the cockpit so better boom control. Of course taller rig well get you into trouble if you try and sail with too much cloth but technically if you stick to the normal size headsail (say 110 instead of 135 or 150) and make sure you reef early then your jeanneau 37 sun fast should be more stable and better sea motion due to deeper keel, rudder etc. I ended up buying a sun fast 43 and mainly use the smaller sails for long trips (unless it is really calm/light) and this has how it has worked out for me, very stable boat in swell.
For example
https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/2002...st-37-3224783/
OzDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 00:16   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Really? wow do tell us what happened, sounds dreadful

Have you sailed a Jeanneau much btw?

Pete

Yes we chartered two or three times every year for 10 years, the Jenneau was our favourite because it had the deepest keel so it was better upwind than other makes I don't know if that is the same now.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, jeanneau