Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2020, 11:13   #1

Casual New Purchase Inspection Question - Bilge

Hey guys long time lurker wife and I finally have decided to start getting serious about a first time sailboat for some coastal cruising
We went and looked at a 2005 Hunter 33 and everything was in good condition except some 'black' in the bilge. I was wondering if something that should immediately knock off our list or something that may not be a serious issue. I know that no one can say for certain but just looking for a second opinion.

Please see the attached picture, Thanks for your time!

bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:50   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Casual New Purchase Inspection Question - Bilge

Looks like some standing water that just got grimey after a while. The rest of the bilge is really clean and the pump setup is proper, with the elevated secondary pump. I would definitely get the water out and inspect the keel bolts, since they've been under sitting water. Perhaps a new pump or float switch is in order for the main pump, to keep that area dry. Nothing to be too concerned about.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Looks like some standing water that just got grimey after a while. The rest of the bilge is really clean and the pump setup is proper, with the elevated secondary pump. I would definitely get the water out and inspect the keel bolts, since they've been under sitting water. Perhaps a new pump or float switch is in order for the main pump, to keep that area dry. Nothing to be too concerned about.

Thanks! Just unusual (to me) to see such dark 'muck' with a seemingly clean bilge. Either way, if we continue to look at it will do our due diligence.
Thanks for the reply!
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:53   #4

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Tough to say why it's that dark- could be some residual oil from the engine or dirt from another area that made its way into the bilge. Best to suck it all out, inspect the bolts, and see if any water comes back in from anywhere
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:46   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Does the chain locker drain into that bilge area? Some boats have that setup, and then mud from the chain ends in the bilge... could be what you are seeing.

Jim
Old 08-04-2020, 09:55   #6

Boat: Pearson 34

I cleaned an re-painted my main bilge, only to find black gunk coming in from areas hidden by the interior fiberglass pan. I suspect that previous owner allowed shower sump to overflow into the bilge, and yucky water to rest in those inaccessible spaces. Will use strong bilge cleaner and hot water to rinse prior to this spring's launch.
RSB333
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:42   #7

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

Welcome to the world of bilges. Many are pretty gunky. I try hard to keep them clean. It's a normal thing. Don't get ADHD about it, but if you do, gunk sources can be interesting.

Bilge pump advice I've heard is have a switch to test them bypassing the float switch. Test the float switch when you can. Have an indictator that tells you when the float switch kicks on (I have a light).

If you leave for extended periods, install an audio alarm outside with a switch that can silence the alarm. Connect it to the bilge pump system so it blares when pumping.

Tell local slipmates you have that feature and show them the silence switch. Tell the marina office too. This could save you a world of hurt.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:52   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
Thanks! Just unusual (to me) to see such dark 'muck' with a seemingly clean bilge. Either way, if we continue to look at it will do our due diligence.

Thanks for the reply!

This is quite common where a cheap AC install leads the condensate water into the bilge. The bilge remains wet all the time and slime grows. Put a correct condensate drain pump in place, clean the bilge and I’d bet this never shows up again.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:01   #9

Have you tested it with your finger? Make sure it's not oil.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, inspection, purchase