Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 12:19   #1

Boat: 50 Bene
Bahamas Nov Dec and the Covid etc

Hey folks planning to Sail to Exumas this fall and just curious if anyone has any first hand knowledge on how it is. The admirals family lives in Nassau but aren’t really boaters. Enforcement seems to be all over the place from none to strict basically a sh$* show according to her cousin. We are planning on clearing in at Chubb then straight to Exuma or Abaco depending on restrictions. Plan to bypass Nassau altogether. Anyway if anyone is there to shed a little light on the situation let me know.

Thanks in advance
Will
Old 11-09-2020, 04:26   #2

Re: Bahamas Nov Dec and the Covid etc

This is a good resource if you don't already have it: https://www.noonsite.com/place/baham...curity-section

Fair winds!
LittleWing77
Old 11-09-2020, 04:55   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

You better take a look at the current Coronavirus restrictions for checking in, quarantine, and travel. There of course are various Facebook pages for Bahamas cruisers.
Old 15-09-2020, 05:56   #4

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

I was planning on going to the bahamas on my way south. that plan has since been scrapped as I don't have 14 days to burn just sitting on the boat before i can start island hopping. maybe next year.

https://bahamasmarinas.com/procedures-and-protocols/

Effective Tuesday 1 September, all incoming visitors must present a COVID-19 RT-PCR Negative (Swab) Test upon arrival. The RTPCR COVID-19 test must have been taken no later than five (5) days from the date of arrival in The Bahamas.

On GRAND BAHAMA: International and domestic flights or sea vessels are allowed in and out of the island, as of August 25, 2020. Evening curfew and nationwide requirements still hold.

While not closing the country’s borders to air or sea traffic, the government of The Bahamas now requires visitors arriving at any island in the archipelago to undergo a 14-day quarantine.

Visitors cruising by private boat are permitted to spend their two-week quarantine aboard their vessel. Fishing is permitted daily from 5 am to 6 pm with boats of no more than 2 people, unless on a larger vessel and from same household.

The emergency orders do require a 14-day quarantine even for inter-island travel if you plan to come ashore. During the quarantine period, or if staying for less than 2 weeks, boaters are not allowed beyond the marina premises for any reason while on land. Cruising is permitted, along with visits to uninhabited islands (defined as population of 25 people or less). This is being referred to as “Vacation in Place”.

After the 14 days, all persons intending to remain in the country may be required to complete another COVID-19 test, at their own expense.

Departing in less than 14 days is allowed but must be done without contact with any community except for refueling and provisioning stops at marinas or traveling to and from private air flights.

Effective Tuesday 25 August, boaters must notify the BMA at sheltering@bahamasmaritime.com prior to entering the country and if your intention is to relocate to another island.
Old 15-09-2020, 07:28   #5

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Rules change every week, both in the Bahamas and the States.
No way to predict where the world will be in November, so dont try to pre-plan any voyage, just work your way south and be flexible
Old 15-09-2020, 17:37   #6

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Rules change every week, both in the Bahamas and the States.
No way to predict where the world will be in November, so dont try to pre-plan any voyage, just work your way south and be flexible
this is a good point. for me right now I've planned as far south as cape charles where I'll wait until I can go south into the hurricane box and from there I'll decide my next moves.
Old 15-09-2020, 17:54   #7

So if I understand it, under the current rules the OP could clear at Chubb but stay on his boat or in the marina. He could then leave the next day and go to say Staniel Cay where he would start a new 14 day quarantine. If he left and went to Georgetown he would start a new 14 day quarantine .

Is that right?

Of course the rules are likely to change but it doesn’t seem to me that inter-island travel restrictions will be loosened anytime soon since it is such an obvious way for the disease to spread. Most tourists to the Bahamas go to one island and stay there.
Old 15-09-2020, 18:43   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
So if I understand it, under the current rules the OP could clear at Chubb but stay on his boat or in the marina. He could then leave the next day and go to say Staniel Cay where he would start a new 14 day quarantine. If he left and went to Georgetown he would start a new 14 day quarantine .

Is that right?

Of course the rules are likely to change but it doesn’t seem to me that inter-island travel restrictions will be loosened anytime soon since it is such an obvious way for the disease to spread. Most tourists to the Bahamas go to one island and stay there.
It may have changed, but if I interpreted it correctly, what you said is exactly what I got out of the rules.
My belief is that they will open up, they have to have the money, but will not allow travel to the “family islands” in order to prevent the spread there where there is little medical care, they need the big bucks spenders at Treasure Island etc., not Mom and Pop on a sailboat.
Personally I have no interest in traveling anywhere but the family islands, and it’s my belief that this year that’s not happening, and if it opens up, it could close again or you get caught up in rules changing while your there.

The up side to this is my belief is that as long as your nice and respectful, I have never, ever seen any Bahamian official be anything but nice and respectful back to you.

Now all of this is just my opinion and I’m admittedly pessimistic, so take it for what it’s worth.
While I was there during the lockdown the US Embassy was the best and most reliable source of the rules I found, maybe other Embassies were better I don’t know.
Old 15-09-2020, 18:47   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Here it is, it’s called the Smart Traveller Enrollment Program, once enrolled it sends you emails about the place your traveling. I found it exceedingly helpful when we were there in lockdown
https://step.state.gov/

When we left, it was the ONLY source I could find that spelled out what they rules were for repatriating in writing, what you could and could not do etc.
It says it’s for US of course, but how could they possibly know if your say Canadian? It’s just an email list
Old 15-09-2020, 19:08   #10

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
Hey folks planning to Sail to Exumas this fall and just curious if anyone has any first hand knowledge on how it is. The admirals family lives in Nassau but aren’t really boaters. Enforcement seems to be all over the place from none to strict basically a sh$* show according to her cousin. We are planning on clearing in at Chubb then straight to Exuma or Abaco depending on restrictions. Plan to bypass Nassau altogether. Anyway if anyone is there to shed a little light on the situation let me know.

Thanks in advance
Will
I do not believe you can check in through Chub anymore. It's a completely private marina now. Best bet is to check into Bimini or Cat Cay and then head directly to the north exumas.

You can proceed from either cat or Bimini to Providence overnight and anchor out to wait for sunny noon to proceed down through the reefs south of Providence.
Old 20-11-2020, 07:48   #11

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

[QUOTE=frozenhawaiian;3233261]I was planning on going to the bahamas on my way south. that plan has since been scrapped as I don't have 14 days to burn just sitting on the boat before i can start island hopping. maybe next year.

https://bahamasmarinas.com/procedures-and-protocols/

Effective Tuesday 1 September, all incoming visitors must present a COVID-19 RT-PCR Negative (Swab) Test upon arrival. The RTPCR COVID-19 test must have been taken no later than five (5) days from the date of arrival in The Bahamas.

==============================================
contacted Immigration yesterday on their site and now waiting for a response.
My question was regarding their 5 days window from last negative test and considering our dependency on weather conditions if they offer any option to arriving later than the 5 days, mentioned on my request my departure from North Carolina.
Has anybody have any RECENT experience since they open November 2 I believe?

Tags
Bahamas