Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2020, 00:57   #1

Raymarine ST1 & STNg system - Wind and Depth data issue

Recently my ~2009 Raymarine instruments stopped displaying the wind and depth completely, instead only displaying "---". No changes or events predated the issue occurring.

Components are the Raymarine S3 computer, RS125 GPS, Raymarine compass, ST6002 Autopilot, E80 Chart Plotter, E85001 interface. I believe all these are connected via the old seatalk "ST1" network or directly to the S3 computer. All these operate correctly, and the data is available.

I also have 2x ST70 tridata displays, an Airmar combination speed/depth transducer, and a raymarine wind transducer + transducer pod. These are connected via STNg backbone, via an adapter cable from the ST6002 Autopilot. My Vesper AIS is also connected to the STNg network via an NMEA adapter cable and can usually see all the ST1 & STNg data. Now it can't see any wind or depth.

I have no wind or depth data only "---". Sometimes when first powering the system on, I will get wind and depth for a few minutes. The depth will become intermittent first, then the wind, and finally all wind and depth/speed data is no longer displayed. Sometimes wind and/or depth will be displayed intermittently.

I have tried disconnecting all the terminators, and connectors of the STNg cabling, with no change. The resistance of the terminators and the STNg backbone is 120 Ohms or close to. I swapped the ST6002 AP head with a spare, as well as tried a new adapter cable. I also tried bypassing the depth, and/or the Wind transducers by moving the terminators. No change.

Anyone else have similar issues? Or even better a solution?
Any ideas what to try next?
pandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 03:09   #2

Re: Raymarine ST1 & STNg system - Wind and Depth data issue

I woukd remove the connection to the pilot. Add it’s own 12v power tap. (It’s probably getting power from the pilot?) And get the stng network working on its own. Before trying to share with the st again.

How are the wind and speed transducers connected? Are they analog or stng? Do the tri data’s have analog inputs? Or are you using something like an itc5? (Which might explain why you lose both )

I’m also not sure how you are getting from stng to st1. Normally you’d use a E22158 kit. I don’t know how you.’be done it through a pilot display. Unless there is an st jumper from pilot display to the Yellow plug of the e22158 used in the backbone. Abd a 3nd st cable from pilot to st network.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 17:24   #3

Hi SMac,

Thanks for the ideas. I will try disconnecting the STNg and powering it up to work on its own.

The wind, speed/depth and ST70's are all on the STNg network (backbone), as well as my Vesper AIS. They are connected using a ST to STNg adapter cable from the ST6002 Autopilot. Its the original install and has worked well for years.

If I don't get any further I will upload a network diagram to clarify.

It appears as a hardware issue, but I'm wondering if it is software, and some kind of settings reset has been triggered in advertently?
Old 14-10-2020, 22:31   #4

As suggested, I powered up the STNg network seperately. Still no data on the AIS or ST70s.

I reduced it to the minimum components - 3 T's (one transducer, the power and the AIS to read the data) and 2 terminators. The wind was displayed correctly.

I kept adding components until I eventually narrowed the issue down to a T connector in the backbone.

Thanks SMac & Raymarine.custhelp.com for the suggestions.

I should add for those following in my wake, that Raymarine.custhelp were really helpful, although it did take quite a few back and forths to narrow it down.
Old 15-10-2020, 09:13   #5

Boat: Beneteau 411

I have a similar issue. My bridge from ST1 to NMEA200 occurs between the older ray marine gear and my chart plotter. I have to boot the chart plotter first and then power up the ray marine gear. It must be an order of "handshakes" issue. I have the chart on a separate 12v circuit to facilitate that. If I power up the ST1 gear first, it often will not talk with the plotter.
joehixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 10:11   #6

I put my NMEA2k off the STNg network instead, just using a standard T-piece and a adapter drop cable. It works perfectly. It wasn't very expensive, so perhaps its worth a try?
Raymarine told me that the initiation process only happens on powering up the STNg backbone - it sends out some kind of signal, and the various devices are found on power up.
It sounds to me that the way its wired the NMEA2k is doing this initiation process before the ST1 is ready....so it misses identifying those elements on the network.
Just an idea....

Tags
depth, marine, raymarine, wind