Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2020, 09:14   #1

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28
Raymarine ST-4000+ diagnostics

Hi all,

my ST-4000+ gave me some trouble a few months ago - it was intermittently not responding to the control head. I found a loose connection in the boat-side female plug to the tiller unit, so re-connected there and it was okay for a couple days.

Now it is not responding to the control head again. I'm following the Raymarine service manual to test the tiller unit-
  1. resistance at the motor is 1.2ohms (good)
  2. thrust rod goes in and out by hand (good)
  3. connecting to house battery through amp meter, thrust rod goes in and out and draws only about 1.1amps (good)

So, to test the head unit, i don't see much information in the manual
my first thought is: what's the output at the drive pins of the head unit when it should be driving the tiller arm - I am seeing about 10v / -10v

any opinions about where to go from here?
Vengeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 08:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Raymarine ST-4000+ diagnostics

ST4000+ Autopilots Service Manual
http://www.ganssle.com/jack/st4000.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 13:06   #3

Gord,

yes, that's the manual i've been following - it looks like the motor in the tiller arm passes the tests (movement, resistance, current draw).

But the manual doesn't really have any advice on what to do to test the head unit. I did notice this interesting post on the raymarine forums about a motor that tests fine not necessarily being fine.... (see post #2 below).

https://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=7160

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
ST4000+ Autopilots Service Manual
http://www.ganssle.com/jack/st4000.pdf
Old 15-10-2020, 20:11   #4

Boat: Tartan 28

have you tried taking it apart and checking for moisture inside the unit? mine was doing that after Hurricane Sally, and there was a bit of water inside. I took it completely apart and dried it thoroughly, then reassembled. No issues since. Be aware the screen, buttons, etc.. all come off the board and can get water between the layers.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 20:25   #5

Zemurray,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I’ve taken the head unit completely apart and it seems physically okay. No sign of water or burned up components.. Same with the tiller arm.

Interestingly, connecting a 12v incandescent lightbulb to the head unit’s output, doesn’t light up when it would be driving the arm. Connecting an ordinary single LED, it only makes a very brief very faint flash when it would be driving the arm. Maybe possibly the head unit’s power electronics aren’t producing much current. Wish I knew a better way to test than another $400 head unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
have you tried taking it apart and checking for moisture inside the unit? mine was doing that after Hurricane Sally, and there was a bit of water inside. I took it completely apart and dried it thoroughly, then reassembled. No issues since. Be aware the screen, buttons, etc.. all come off the board and can get water between the layers.

Tags
marine, raymarine