Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2023, 06:10   #1

Sabre vs Catalina-

Hi! I’m new to this site. My husband and I are buying a 34 ft coastal cruiser to sail to Watch Hill. Should I rule out boats without a 100% fiberglass hull cause? Will boats with balsa core above the waterline warp the hull?Any boats to avoid? Am leaning towards a Sabre 34 that I saw but am curious how they compare to a Catalina. The Cat feels too wide for me and I like the salty look of the Sabre. Which is. faster.? Will a 1978 Sabre have resale value? Thanks!
Shoshana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 07:13   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Sabre vs Catalina-

These Chevrolet vs. Buick comparisons are always totally subjective and end up offending the Chevrolet owners.
Most boats have a cored hull above the WL. A non- issue.
Resale value of any boat depends on condition, not just the nameplate.
Either boat is fine for coastal cruising and neither will win any races.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 07:53   #3

Not sure if these help much, but maybe worth a read:

https://www.spinsheet.com/boat-revie...ed-boat-review
https://www.spinsheet.com/boat-revie...ed-boat-review
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 08:00   #4

Boat: Cal 33-2

Sounds like you are considering a Sabre 34 mk1 and a similar vintage Catalina 34. I am familiar with both. Both are good boats and fine for the coastal cruising you propose. These are older boats, so condition is more important than design and petigree. If you can increase your budget a bit move up to a slightly newer boat, the ones from the 80s and early 90s had some nice upgrades.
Old 16-07-2023, 08:06   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

When you buy an older boat, you buy original build quality AND the work that was done to her since the build.

Assuming similar condition- buy the Sabre. BUT be aware the offset shaft on the Sabre makes backing them a royal PITA. Consider a Tartan 33, I used to own one and loved it.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 08:26   #6

Thanks for your support! Anyone know why many of the Catalina’s have crazing on the windows? Are the chai plates of any concern? In terms of sailing performance which is better the older Sabre or a newer Catalina 34? Anyone know about the performance of a Catalina 34 2001 MK ii with a wing keel? Thanks!
Shoshana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 08:36   #7

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshana View Post
Thanks for your support! Anyone know why many of the Catalina’s have crazing on the windows? Are the chai plates of any concern? In terms of sailing performance which is better the older Sabre or a newer Catalina 34? Anyone know about the performance of a Catalina 34 2001 MK ii with a wing keel? Thanks!
Both will eventually have crazing windows since they both were done in acrylic. I'm guessing the Sabre you're looking at has had them replaced already. The mk11 Sabre is a phenomenal boat - we sailed one twice across the Atlantic- but the Catalina is great too.

If I were doing Wednesday night racing, I'd go for the Sabre. If living aboard, the Catalina is better.

Really, the condition of the boat is more important for what it sounds like you're planning to use the boat for.

New England region PHFR rating for the Catalina is 159 and 132 for the Sabre.
Old 16-07-2023, 08:54   #8
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

They are both good choices. They are more similar in some respects than different, although different construction methods were used.

The Catalina is a more typical high production volume build quality using interior liners and grids for strength, lighter and brighter belowdecks with more fiberglass liner evident. The Sabre is stick-built, with cabinets and joinery work tabbed to the hull. The Sabre 34-1s have extensive Burmese teak belowdecks, which creates a darker, richer appearance. There is greater access to the hull and better ability to inspect tabbing with a stick-built boat.

Many more Catalina 34s were produced than Sabre 34s. There is a larger owners’ group and greater number of new parts still available. Catalina is still producing sailboats, while Sabre now only produces powerboats.

There are some known problem areas with the Sabre 34s – mast step disease and chainplate knee rot. The eyebrows on the cabintop can develop leaks and the deck to hull joint requires attention. I would not buy a Sabre unless you are relatively handy with maintenance work.

It is really a matter of taste. Some believe Sabres have higher build quality and may be more suitable for offshore work than similar vintage Catalinas. The Catalina may be more comfortable and easier to sail well.

Read the professionals’ views:

Spinsheet Jack Hornor review:

“If your plans call for extended cruising, the Catalina 34 is a bit short on storage space, and I think the rigging and construction may be a little light for extended offshore passages. However, for the sailor looking for a comfortable, affordable boat with coastal cruising, weekending and daysailing in mind, the Catalina 34 would be an excellent choice. “

Review of Sabre 34 by John Kretschmer in Sailing magazine, July 2003

Conclusion
“The Sabre 34 MK I is a handsome, high-quality boat that has maintained its value. Prices range from less than $30,000 to about $60,000, with most of the used boats falling the mid $40,000 range. The boat is well suited for family sailing, casual racing and can also be retrofitted for cruising. It is nice to have options.”

Reviewed in the October 1999 issue of SpinSheet by Jack Hornor

“The Sabre 34 performs well on all points of sail and under nearly all conditions. She has taken home her fair share of silver in club racing and is stout and comfortable enough to consider for offshore passage making.”
“The Sabre 34 is a traditionally styled, solidly constructed, good performing boat that, although a bit pricey for her age and size, should retain her value well when properly maintained.”
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 19:52   #9

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Hi! I’m new to this site.
Welcome.

Quote:
My husband and I are buying a 34 ft coastal cruiser to sail to Watch Hill. Should I rule out boats without a 100% fiberglass hull cause? Will boats with balsa core above the waterline warp the hull?

I dunno. My boat has a balsa core above the waterline. There are probably better core materials but balsa works fine as long as the boat is cared for.

Quote:

Any boats to avoid?

Anything made of ferrocement or wood. Anything that is not a production boat. Anything made by Irwin. Anything that you can't get insurance for.

Quote:

Am leaning towards a Sabre 34 that I saw but am curious how they compare to a Catalina. The Cat feels too wide for me and I like the salty look of the Sabre. Which is. faster.? Will a 1978 Sabre have resale value?

1970s boats typically have little or no resale value regardless of maker, unless there's been significant upgrading and everything works. There's a 1978 Sabre 34 for sale in Virginia right now and from the photos it looks like: they pulled out the range ($2000) and the gas system for it ($1000), the winches ($5000) are original and may not have routine service parts available, and the diesel engine and transmission ($20,000) are of uncertain age. The situation with sails and rigging is unclear. It doesn't appear to have a refrigerator ($$). Nice looking old boat though.

For speed, it is useful to look at PHRF handicaps as a simple first order comparison. The Catalina 34 and Sabre 34 are nearly identical: PHRF New England - Handicapping - Base Handicaps

Quote:

In northern latitudes, acrylic window glazing has a useful life of around 25 years by which point it will typically have some crazing. In most cases in the 70s/80s/90s they were using polyurethane sealant reacts with the acrylic over a decade or two so that the bond fails.

Replacement of plastic portlights is a common task on older boats. I did it on my 1991 Hunter 26 about four years ago.

I am unaware of any specific problems with chainplates on either of these models.

I haven't sailed either one but I doubt you'll find the sailing performance to be much different. They're fin keel boats with spade rudders.

I think you'll find that the variation in condition across individual examples is a bigger deal than the difference between the models you've identified. Although, the Catalina is a considerably larger boat, in terms of usable area in the cockpit and below decks.

My advice would be to look at smaller, newer boats in better condition as these will cost less, be more fun, and be saleable when it is time to move on.
Old 22-08-2023, 10:37   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, sabre