Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2022, 11:47   #1

Catalina Morgan 381 or Catalina 380

Hello,

My partner and I are looking to purchase a Catalina Morgan 381 or Catalina 380 (late 90s). We are located in Canada, but are considering both the east and west coast of Canada and the United States. We're aiming to keep our budget in the high five figures (USD).

We know there were less than 100 "Morgalinas" built and will likely be more difficult to find. We'd also be interested in a Catalina 400 or 42 Mk I/II, but these models typically are a price point beyond our budget.

If you are thinking of selling your boat or know of someone else who may be, we'd love to hear from you. We can be reached at: boats@adamandannika.com

Cheers!
adamandannika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 12:24   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Catalina Morgan 381 or Catalina 380

It costs a bundle to ship a boat from say Vancouver to Whitby Ontario. So I’d focus closer to home. I’d pick the 380 for resale value alone. It’s a very popular model.
Being US buiilt under NAFTA it’s tax and tariff free. A European boat from the US look at 9.5% tariff.
There was a 380 for sail in Georgian Bay but a week ago. There was a mid 90’s 370 Dufour around 50k seemed low.
Syracuse New York had a 37 twin cabin 1999 Jeanneau for 54k with updates in 2018-19. Major stuff sails winches electronic. It’s a buy for the darn parts but sweet boat , clean. Worth the 9.5% extra.
Go to the Catalina site if you already haven’t. I believe the 380 was available in several forms competing head to head with Jeanneau. I think their was a performance or an Ocean racing version. Twin cabin and three. Catalina started using vinylester skins in 1994. So “pox” or water penetration is not a threat to a well taken car of hull.
The Jeanneau dealer in Michigan had a couple Catalinas and so did the Canadian Marintines / Quebec dealers. They both move a lot of volume.
Good luck hope you find your boat
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 12:35   #3

Thanks for the quick reply!

We should have mentioned that our plan is to relocate to the boat and start sailing (of course after completing any necessary boat work). We're happy to be on either coast and are lucky enough to have this flexibility.

Thanks also for the general advice, especially on resale value. We have a good understanding of the market for the 380s, but there isn't as much information about the 381s.

Cheers!
Old 05-08-2022, 05:34   #4

A quick update that we're still actively searching for a Catalina 380/381. Happy to discuss over private messages or through the email listed above.

Cheers!
Old 05-08-2022, 05:54   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Stupid question: what's wrong with all the 380s on Yachtworld (and other sites)? The price points seem pretty good.

Second stupid question: have you considered the 350? About the same price, and ubiquitous; I can't count the number of 350s in our marina.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:46   #6

Hi Tetepare,

Thanks for the input! We're definitely familiar with the Catalina 380s on Yachtworld and elsewhere. There have been some great boats for sale, unfortunately, we've found the vast majority of (good) boats quickly become under contract and the listings aren't updated to reflect this. The Cruisers Forums is simply one of many avenues we're currently exploring.

We also appreciate the recommendation for the 350. It's a nice-looking boat but a bit too small for our tastes.

Cheers,
Adam
Old 12-08-2022, 17:26   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i thought the 380 was a sweet boat. good luck with your search.

Tags
catalina, catalina 38, morgan