Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2022, 11:49   #1

ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 on a Catalina 25

For any Catalina 25 owners who may have an interest in an electric motor, there is an issue with this model's tiller handle clearing the transom with a standard motor mount setup. The problem is that the Spirit's tiller handle only lifts to an angle of around 45 degrees. With your motor mount in its lowest position so the prop is in the water, it kind of scrapes along the top of the transom, and it hits against the stern rail post when trying to turn. The only solution is to put at least a 3 in block of wood between your motor mount and hull to help with the clearance problem.

So be aware that if are looking at going electric, you will need to change out your overall motor mount setup.
Gigaflopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 12:43   #2

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 on a Catalina 25

Epropulsion sells two remote throttles. One is wireless and has an incorporated throttle and the other is a more traditional cockpit side mount type with remote display. I have the latter on my Cape Dory 25. Works like a charm. When purchasing my dealer gave me the option of tiller or remote....I bought both so tiller could be used incase of emergency or on a dinghy.
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, propulsion