Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2021, 13:41   #16

Re: What dog breed if any???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hezi, you keep saying you must make sure your family is safe. Is it that someone is afraid? If so, it will help if you start addressing their concerns ASAP, 'cause you're a long way into the process.

One other factor about pets aboard: some places require lengthy quarantine for them, up to 6 months, during which time they are kept apart from their owners. It is at your expense; the dog would not be available to guard the girl; and it can be traumatic for the dog (or cat).

If it is simply a matter of boat security, once you have taken possession of it, start looking at ways to keep out intruders. There are motion sensor alarms that can wake you if an intruder comes aboard. Cats are really easy to board from the water. It can be tricky, because you also need to have emergency exits, or a quick way to convert a hatch from a grille to an exit.

Ann
The only person concerned here is me. I am a big guy and not the "timid" type. Yet, I take safety very seriously. My daughter is going to be sleeping a hull away from me and I sleep deep. Also, I saw on SV Delos an episode where they were boarded while sleeping on the boat. I am aware most of those occurrences are for petty crimes but it immediately crossed my mind if those guys would have a dog, the dog would have alerted the whole anchorage including the person trying to sneak onto the vessel and prevented this. Not to mention other scenarios where a dog can be of benefit under many circumstances. If I was planning to do only caribbeans islands, I would consider, but given this may turn into a long trip, I am dropping this idea.
hezi973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 14:40   #17

Boat: Leopard 48

If you are going to multiple countries the answer is no. If you are staying in one or two and can research the rules and regs its a judgement call. One other difficulty not mentioned in previous observations is fixed docks. In large tidal swing areas with fixed docks a large breed dog has disadvantages over small getting on and off the boat. You will also need a bigger dinghy if its a large breed. You wont have to take it to land all the time but something like a lab will want to get off the boat to run and play. The trampolines on cats are versatile, Ill leave it at that. We live aboard with a lab and would do it again if we had a choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ruger_kairos.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	249062  
wathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 15:01   #18

Boat: Catalina 470

If you want a dog for security, get a Rottweiler! I live aboard full time with two Rotties, and no one, I do mean no one, comes on our boat uninvited! ;-)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 15:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
If you want a dog for security, get a Rottweiler! I live aboard full time with two Rotties, and no one, I do mean no one, comes on our boat uninvited! ;-)
And they are smart too and oh so protective. Good for you!
hezi973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 15:13   #20

Boat: Bateau FS17

Looks like you got a lot of logical answers to an emotional question.

Breed choice the same thing.... lots of good and lots of 'bad' breeds, but the one you take home is the one with sad eyes you just can't walk away from.

If looking for youtube validation, then Onboard Lifestyle travels with a small dog (US west coast, I think in Mexico now),Living Hakuna has a couple big dogs, and O'Kelleys had a larger old lab type until it died, I think they do consulting as well, so if wanting to know logistics/advice from someone who has done it, then they may be worth looking up.

*not sure that any of those named are world traveling, but for sure Mexico and Caribbean areas are covered.
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 15:14   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi973 View Post
Hello,

my wife, daughter, and myself (possibly grandma too) are planning to take a brake from the rat race and go full time cruising. Currently I have a down payment on a Fountain Pajot Elba 45. My daughter will be 10 when getting the boat and the plan is to go cruise without a plan. I hope this will be a 4 years ocean crossing traveling lifestyle. I never own a dog but have plenty friends that do. I am considering getting a dog to join us on our trip mainly for reasons of security and of course friendship. I am mostly concerned for my daughters and think a dog, potentially can be a guardian angle for her, a friend, and a security/deterrent system (I hope I am not offending anybody here).

Is that a good idea or too much troubles than it worth? That means we have another family member we need to care for and check him/her into new countries etc.

Is it a good idea for full time sailors?
If yes, which dog?

I'd love to hear your opinion and thank you in advance!
Depends on your plans. i'm afraid the red tape and quarantines if changing countries will out weight the positives. I live with nine Maltese.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 16:23   #22

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler

"...if those guys would have a dog, the dog would have alerted the whole anchorage including the person trying to sneak onto the vessel and prevented this..."

A well known cruiser and trawler owner has (or had) two dogs on his boat while it was at anchor either here here in the US or in the Bahamas, I forget which. The dogs love to cuddle and they sleep with the owner and his wife. So while in this anchorage the boat was boarded at night by at least two bad guys who, over some period of time, looted and ransacked the boat. They stole every bit of jewelry, money and portable electronics they could find. They even went into the master cabin where the owner, his wife and the two dogs were sleeping and cleaned them out. What did these two dogs do? They slept through the whole ordeal, of course. Much to the consternation and embarrassment of the owner. So I guess the moral is that having even TWO dogs is not enough to have even a modicum of security. Maybe having a dog with you on a world wide cruise is not really the best idea. But good luck, I hope you have a wonderful time.
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 16:24   #23

Boat: C&C

There's lots of cheap led solar powered motion lights now on the market. Place some of these strategically around for security. Or hoist them up when in areas of doubt.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 16:30   #24

Boat: PT-11

Blue Heeler, without question.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 16:40   #25

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Realistically, traveling far and wide with a dog has plenty of potential to be a big headache, as others have pointed out.

For us, we're not crossing oceans or country hopping all the time, and we're not underway for days on end, so a dog fits in well. Our Standard Poodle absolutely loves the boat and has better sea legs (and a far stronger stomach) than most humans. Doesn't matter if we're underway, docked, anchored, etc. he's happy to just be on the boat. The only time he was a little unsure was the first time he experienced running at night, but he decided everything was fine and took a nap after an hour or so. See pictures below for him enjoying himself on the boat.

Happy to get some attention from me in the midst of a long travel day

Naptime

Smelling the breeze underway

Snoozing by my feet while I'm at the helm
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 17:09   #26

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Have you ever tried to lift a soaking wet lab into a tender or had a soaking wet lab in the cockpit of a boat?

I have, not a good suggestion at all imho.
Had a lab mix that was fatter than your average lab walk off a dock into 3 knots of current at night. I picked him up by the scruff of his neck and his butt fat. Also carried him up a ladder over my shoulder when we spent Christmas weekend in the yard lift. Those were the days...
Labs swim better than a lot of breeds. My daughter stepped on my labs balls when she was 2. He was ready to bite till he saw who had done it. They are incredibly patient with kids. They make life vests for fat labs.
Old 29-11-2021, 18:50   #27

Remember some breeds are not welcome in some countries.
warren5421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 20:13   #28

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

To protect from intruders, I have been thinking of adapting an electrical fence the farmers use for keeping livestock away. They are solar-powered charging batteries, and you can purchase carbon fencing wire will not rust, they are inexpensive. The idea is to use some clip isolators around the safety rail when moored at night, sleep safe and sound while on the hook or when you're a shore. Remove electrical wire and turn off electric sender .when sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hezi, you keep saying you must make sure your family is safe. Is it that someone is afraid? If so, it will help if you start addressing their concerns ASAP, 'cause you're a long way into the process.

One other factor about pets aboard: some places require lengthy quarantine for them, up to 6 months, during which time they are kept apart from their owners. It is at your expense; the dog would not be available to guard the girl; and it can be traumatic for the dog (or cat).

If it is simply a matter of boat security, once you have taken possession of it, start looking at ways to keep out intruders. There are motion sensor alarms that can wake you if an intruder comes aboard. Cats are really easy to board from the water. It can be tricky, because you also need to have emergency exits, or a quick way to convert a hatch from a grille to an exit.

Ann
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 20:22   #29

We have found our Havanese is a great boat dog. Doesn't shed. Is quite "chill". Can be counted on to bark a greeting when anyone approaches. Pees/poops on a pad or fake grass aboard when walks ashore aren't possible. Small enough to go in a carrier under a plane seat. Food doesn't take up much space. Loves a run on the beach or a fast dinghy ride - and any child who might visit.

I wouldn't take a dog for "safety". You probably have more crime risk where ever you live now than most of the areas you'll cruise. But, I think a dog would be a great companion for your daughter on a long trip. Parents are very boring after a while. If your daughter doesn't enjoy the trip, you wife will worry and won't enjoy it. And that means you won't enjoy it either.

All that said, the paperwork may make a handful of countries too much trouble. You'll want to think this through. But cruising would be much less fun without our dog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 11.03.02 PM.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	249079  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 23:18   #30

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi973 View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't think about a dog for all of the reasons noted above but wanted to hear season sailors opinions. My wife wasn't thrilled hearing this. I thought to give this a consideration since I MUST make sure my family is safe. Thank you all!
Our boat alarm system is broken up into two zones. If the swimstep strain gauge sensor is activated, then a loud recording of a bad dog plays and lights go on. If the zone near the companionway is activated then a very loud siren goes off.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote