Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2021, 23:50   #31

Re: What dog breed if any???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
You can't go wrong with a Lab for kids.
I've seen more than 1 lab swimming around a marina with no way out...last thing I would want is a dog that loves the water and will jump in at the drop of a hat. Imagine offshore at night and he goes after your hat when it blows off...

Keep in mind, just because they don't like the water, doesn't mean they can't swim if they fall in. Had a beagle who hated the water but would fall in occasionally. He wasn't happy but swam just fine. Luckily we were just weekending at the time and no offshore work.

As others have said, it's a challenge if you are visiting lots of countries.

Also, you need to work out where they will go potty. We had a chihuahua (long story) who we taught to go in a 2'x3'x6" plastic tub with a rug in the bottom that was left in the cockpit. Every so often the rug would get drug behind the boat to clean it out. Not sure how that would work with a bigger dog.

Security: You are over thinking it. You should be alert to movements of the boat. Reality is unless you purposely go to dangerous locations, it's really not an issue.

If you've never had a dog, it's not a great time to try it out. It's a 10-20yr commitment.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 00:19   #32

Boat: Vancouver 27'

I have a dog. Love her. I will day sail with her, but cannot imagine willingly sailing from country to country, and dealing with all that entails. I live in the EU and have an EU pet passport. I still have no desire to willingly seek out the aggravation that would occur.

Getting myself and my boat across a border is challenging enough and I already have a dog, specifically obtaining one before sailing, strikes me as intentionally seeking out and purchasing a boat with maintenance and reliability issues. Why intentionally increase issues? If you have a dog and cannot bear to leave them ashore, go for it...but to seek out additional labor, worry and bureaucracy...?
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 00:51   #33

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
To protect from intruders, I have been thinking of adapting an electrical fence the farmers use for keeping livestock away. They are solar-powered charging batteries, and you can purchase carbon fencing wire will not rust, they are inexpensive. The idea is to use some clip isolators around the safety rail when moored at night, sleep safe and sound while on the hook or when you're a shore. Remove electrical wire and turn off electric sender .when sailing.
You have to have a "ground" for the system to work. You could ground the water, but that would only work for someone swimming and grabbing the rail. If they boarded from a boat they would be insulated.
Old 30-11-2021, 00:52   #34

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
But, I think a dog would be a great companion for your daughter on a long trip. Parents are very boring after a while. If your daughter doesn't enjoy the trip, you wife will worry and won't enjoy it. And that means you won't enjoy it either.

Long trips are few and far between. Boat kids are are never bored they are very outgoing and will make friends whenever you are stopped even on the HF radio while underway. The minute you stop the kids are off boat adventuring, on other boats or you will have a hoard on your boat. They will develop a huge social network that will continue into adulthood they don't need a dog. A dog will be an inconvenience and a chore to them and you will end up looking after it. There are plenty of wild animals to capture their imagination, flying fish, dolphins, whales, sharks, octopuses, nudibranchs, orangutangs, proboscis monkeys, lemurs, elephants, coconut crabs all accessible while cruising.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 00:53   #35

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

If you've never had a dog, it's not a great time to try it out. It's a 10-20yr commitment.
Have to agree with this. If you have a few months to train the dog before the boat great, but if trying to do boat and train dog I would imagine it would be very frustrating.
Old 30-11-2021, 01:24   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Have to agree with this. If you have a few months to train the dog before the boat great, but if trying to do boat and train dog I would imagine it would be very frustrating.
Even with a few months, it's a different training regime on the boat...while you are trying to learn to live aboard and operate the boat.

And then what happens if the dog hates the boat. Are you going to dump him at the next port?

It's one thing if you are already a dog person and have a dog to try and make it work...to purposely take on that burden for the reasons the OP has suggested is silly.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 01:38   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Best dog for house and boat
is
1- miniature poodle 2-(not toy 5-8 kg)
2-poodle mix like Miniature Goldendoodles,Miniature Labradoodle,Springerdoodle,Cavapoo,Cockapoo and many other

what because naturally like water,swim in frozen water , no problem with hair in boat. small s**h*t make
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 01:46   #38

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofc View Post
We have a 10 year old daughter and cruise full-time with our 6 year old Vizsla. However we only go between the US and Bahamas. If I was going to cross oceans I would absolutely not have a dog, because of the importing restrictions. Bahamas are easy though.
Hi, did your Vizla grow up boating or was he already grown up before the cruising started?
How does he cope with beeing on a boat?

The reason behind my question is that my mum is aging and we may be the ones who end up with her Vizla "Pablo". He loves us and we love him.
Still there is no real chance to test his seaworthiness before it might happen.

Ideally we find a different solution, but it may happen that we find ourselves with a dog on board one day.
Old 30-11-2021, 02:23   #39

I have put a switch next to our bed that turns the boats horn on. I have used in twice when a person has boarded us at night. In both cases the intruders scurried off.
Bruce Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 02:50   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi, did your Vizla grow up boating or was he already grown up before the cruising started?
How does he cope with beeing on a boat?

The reason behind my question is that my mum is aging and we may be the ones who end up with her Vizla "Pablo". He loves us and we love him.
Still there is no real chance to test his seaworthiness before it might happen.

Ideally we find a different solution, but it may happen that we find ourselves with a dog on board one day.
maybe you finish with new sailor.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 07:15   #41

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

It's a big responsibility, I have a Spanish Water Dog that takes very well to living on board, she does her duty on the trampoline when cruising, is a great swimmer and alerts me when anyone comes near the boat, does not shed and at 40lb not hard to lift on board. Every country has different laws as to your pets so that is an issue. If you are not an experienced dog owner it will be quite a task; training your dog and yourself, vet visits, passport for dog (yes there is such a thing, it carries the medical vaccinations etc.). I love traveling with my dog but I have been doing it for 17 years (second dog)...good luck and enjoy.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 07:22   #42

I am humbled by all the replies and will to guide and assist by all of you sailors. A big thank you to you all!
hezi973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 07:51   #43

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Check the places you want to travel and what breeds are allowed. We have a 6 year old pitbull and so far just sailing in US and Canada and is no problem. Excellent security. anyone within 300' she is on full alert. We are planning a multi-year trip and was surprised how many countries, especially the Caribbean and Pacific islands ban them. I am trying to gather as much info as I can right now on each country we want to go to and what their pet rules are and costs. It may be a tough decision in a few years whether she comes with us or goes to a friend. Kind of harsh but from what I am learning, it can be a very limiting problem. There will be some countries that she can go to but just stay on the boat and not go to shore as well. Some countries laws state if you have been to any country on their list that may have rabies, you will be banned from going to their country. so many rules. However, if it will work with your plan, consider an adult adoption, most young dogs need so much more exercise and if they dont get it can be destructive or bark in frustration. Nothing like pulling into a quiet tranquil anchorage and your dog barks 24/7. It is a tough call for us.
bccoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 07:57   #44

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccoast View Post
However, if it will work with your plan, consider an adult adoption, most young dogs need so much more exercise and if they dont get it can be destructive or bark in frustration. Nothing like pulling into a quiet tranquil anchorage and your dog barks 24/7. It is a tough call for us.

This is a good point. High energy dogs are a challenge on a boat. Fortunately, ours is a total couch potato. A few minutes of spazzing around here and there (or a game of fetch with a toy in the salon) and he's ready to be lazy for the rest of the day. He's also a bit lazier on the boat than at home, as just existing seems to take more effort.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 08:18   #45
GLS

Boat: Jeanneau SO 519

We have a Yorkie and he’s a great boat dog. He wears a vest when we’re sailing or we put him below deck. He doesn’t care much about swimming but loves beach time. Yes it takes more work but he’s definitely worth it! Our biggest problem has been meeting different country’s animal requirements; you just have to plan ahead. The Bahamas are dog friendly. Good luck!
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote