Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2022, 09:17   #1

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
The reality of cruising with kids on cats

Here is a dose of reality TV.

Take at look at the mom about 3:30 into the video. She looks exhausted and scared. Its one thing to be offshore in your Lagoon 410 as the bulkheads start to separate and crack. Its another thing to also have two babies to deal with 24/7.

I gather they made it safely to the Seychelles, but it would surprise me if their journey doesn't end there.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:13   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: The reality of cruising with kids on cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post

Here is a dose of reality TV.

Take at look at the mom about 3:30 into the video. She looks exhausted and scared. Its one thing to be offshore in your Lagoon 410 as the bulkheads start to separate and crack. Its another thing to also have two babies to deal with 24/7.

I gather they made it safely to the Seychelles, but it would surprise me if their journey doesn't end there.
It occurs to me that the structure of the boat is flexing but the furniture (bulkheads) are not flexible and they are coming apart as a result of the movement of the structure.

The cracking of the interior bulkheads are one thing; if the main structural components begin to crack or separate that will be a significant issue.

Of course to find that out one must:
  • Remove the personal belongings
  • Remove the liners and interior furniture to expose the structure
  • Assess and repair if needed

Looking at the interior shots for this video clip what I see is a fully furnished and finished apartment. Lagoon did a great job at making a boat which looks and feels like a house, but maybe not such a good job at making a strong (and serviceable) boat. It strikes me that just getting down to the actual structure of the boat will be a big job, certainly not one to be done while living aboard. So this is a major situation for them.

While in South Africa we shared a marina float with a beautiful and fast 48' Schionning Catamaran. They had finished a fantastic sail down the Mozambique channel after a season in the Seychelles but discovered some of the windows had broken from the stress of the hull flexing, it was a major job to rebuild and strengthen the cabin and main bulkheads.

It is not surprising to me that designers of big cats have a challenging job to build a structure which can remain stiff and not flex.
Old 14-09-2022, 09:38   #3

I really appreciate the edit at 5:45.... you can really feel her frustration building up as she talks and the guys face, well it tells you everything
LalaSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2022, 10:29   #4

Boat: Caliber 28

I believe there is a follow up video that shows how they fixed it and plan to continue the trip.
Rackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2022, 11:05   #5
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

If that is a Lagoon 410, it seems that was the first design replacing the 42 after Beneteau bought the company...(cue the unconditional Beneteau defenders)
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, kids